U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,808,153 times

Advertisements

Our neighbor's dog is unleashed and unfenced and frequently wanders into our yard. That doesn't bother us so much. But she also frequently craps in the yard, too. (sorry to be inelequent.) This bothers us. We're pretty new in the neighborhood--6 months or so. How would you handle this? We live in Durham, and I know there are leash laws and nuisance animal laws here. Should we talk to them or should we call animal control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,042 times
I would just talk to them. You can say, you know it doesn't really bother me that your dog is unleashed, but I noticed your dog going to the bathroom in the yard, and that bothers me!

It is rare that dogs just wander around in neighborhoods (at least new ones!!!). If there are other neighbors, it is probably bothering them as well.

I think people respond better to face to face conversations.

Leigh

Old 08-21-2007, 07:13 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,831,984 times
Try talking to them first. No need to go for drastic measures if there is a chance they will comply after speaking with them.

In my case, my neighbor confronted me saying we hope you do not mind our dog comes into your yard the last owner would allow it. I didn't quite no what that meant until the regular visits and presents being left. And I spoke with her and it did not work.
So next time she was outside and her little dog too...I was rather loud in saying "oh come on, I just cleaned up the poop from it's earlier visits", it's disgusting. Well she came over and picked it up. I thanked her and have never seen the dog again.

On the pet forum you will find many topics on this, and how people handle it.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 AM

892 posts, read 2,778,041 times
People who own pets that are permitted to wander are not always real open to talking about their lack of respect and responsibility. Do not expect to be greeted with cake and coffee if you do approach them.
Please keep in mind, it is not the dog's fault that his owners are pathetic.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,305,863 times
I would suggest to them an underground dog fence. Its inexpensive, easy to use, NOT CRUEL, and it would keep the dog in the yard.

But yes, talk to them first, then take more drastic measures.
Its actually quite dangerous to the animal and the people if it wanders around.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 AM

959 posts, read 4,086,757 times
I'd call animal control. You have no idea how the neighbor will respond, and as others have said, how considerately would this person respond to your conern if they're illegally allowing their dog to wander around and do its business wherever it wants. That is both gross, and dangerous for the dog and the people it might encounter. I'm always floored when people let their dogs wander about. They think everyone thinks Fluffy is just as adorable as they do, and almost all dog owners are convinced their Fluffy would never hurt a fly. Animals are unpredictable and a perk of living in a city or suburban area is not having to contend with animals that could potentially harm you or your property :P

Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM

136 posts, read 533,227 times
It all depends on what you feel comfortable with. I don't really do the face-to-face thing simply because of what one of the other posters stated. Most of the time when you confront people they become defensive and unappreciative of you making them aware of the situation. It does not matter if you confront them in a nice manner. Some people may still allow the situation to continue just for kicks because they know it pee you off. I might would let the neighbor know like one other person said that it may be okay for the dog to roam around your yard just as long as the neighbor cleans up behind it. Or let them know that you don't want the dog there period. Also, the difference is that I live in an apartment complex which is different than living in your own home. In my case I may leave a nice note on the residents door. If they don't take heed then I contact the leasing office. If they don't take heed then Animal patrol it is! I know that it is illegal for animals to wander around apartment complex's without leashes or being accompanied by their owner. I would only call animal patrol at the point where I feel as if I have exhausted all means. Good luck with everything.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,831,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Our neighbor's dog is unleashed and unfenced and frequently wanders into our yard. That doesn't bother us so much. But she also frequently craps in the yard, too. (sorry to be inelequent.) This bothers us. We're pretty new in the neighborhood--6 months or so. How would you handle this? We live in Durham, and I know there are leash laws and nuisance animal laws here. Should we talk to them or should we call animal control?
Do you have an HOA?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 AM

952 posts, read 1,578,434 times
You can give the dog to Micheal Vick for training purposes.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,125,096 times
I'd suggest an amiable but clear face-to-face discussion with your neighbor. Beyond just the dog, you have to live next to one another so no sense starting off with hostility.

IMHO if you let the neighbor know how you feel about this; why it is wrong both regarding common sense and legally; and if it doesn't stop what you will do (e.g. stop within 3 days or I call animal control); your neighbor cannot have a beef with you. You may end up not liking one another, but if s/he can't understand this simple courtesy, s/he may not be worth befriending anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary