Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Margiotta won last time for his platform. People voted against him this time because he proved himself to be a big clown despite his ideas.
Well said! Sometimes the message lets lost by the messenger....he was not the right person for the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
What "hell" would that be? The violent protests by the losing side, many of whom didn't even have kids in Wake schools?

By offering an alternative to a failed policy?

Examples please? Actually, nevermind. If Margiotta cured cancer you would still spew anger and hate towards him and the rest of the board. Glad your revenge election worked out for you.
Hmm, your take on my comments is interesting, perhaps. I do not hate or dislike the rest of the board....why did you say this? I am not looking for revenge but looking forward to getting my child to college and not having to think about this issue again. I have, and do, do my part for our schools. In fact as recently as this week I gave up a night to go learn how I could give back more to underserved schools.

Hell = kids in family being moved away from their school for 8th grade. Leaving behind friends, etc. it's not easy maintaining friendships when you've been to 2 elementary schools and 2 middle schools in different parts of the county. And to top it off by being moved to schools with lower performance scores. Hell is not being able to tell your child which HS they will go to.

Your comments make me think you don't live here or do not understand, or have not completely followed the in's and out's of our school issues. You mentioned protesters not having kids in our schools...i never said I sided with them in my post. As you raised the issue, which schools do your kids go to? What has your personal experience been with reassignments affecting your kids?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
You mentioned protesters not having kids in our schools...i never said I sided with them in my post.
To the extent it's relevant, neither Margiotta nor Tedesco have kids in school either.

For me, personally, I don't think it is relevant whether someone does or does not have children in the public schools. Society as a whole has an interest in what happens with public schools and how we pay for it, and I believe all voices - not just those of parents - deserve to be heard.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Margiotta won last time for his platform. People voted against him this time because he proved himself to be a big clown despite his ideas.
Spot on.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 AM

109 posts, read 105,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Hell = kids in family being moved away from their school for 8th grade. Leaving behind friends, etc. it's not easy maintaining friendships when you've been to 2 elementary schools and 2 middle schools in different parts of the county. And to top it off by being moved to schools with lower performance scores. Hell is not being able to tell your child which HS they will go to.
I think you just summarized the concerns of people who voted for the neighborhood school model members. The scenarios you described are why some people want to be able to go to the schools closer to home.

So the future will be interesting. The current board is proposing a compromise solution, which Mr Sutton has shown acceptance to. If the new board stays with it, what is the difference between boards? If they try to go back to the busing for diversity model, how can they figure out who goes where now that the data source they were using is now illegal to use?

We are now at a crossroads where it may not matter who wins the elections. The busing for diversity model is basically impossible to manage now and strict closest to home schools are mathematically impossible. That leaves the same solution for both sides.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:46 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
The right answer is to dismantle WCPSS and cut it into smaller pieces. It is too big and too diverse an entity to manage only one way.
Probably not going to happen.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 PM

379 posts, read 748,878 times
Quote:
The right answer is to dismantle WCPSS and cut it into smaller pieces. It is too big and too diverse an entity to manage only one way.
But then you end up with duplication of services, which costs more.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:43 PM

351 posts, read 770,045 times
Quote:
I'm all for it. Maybe we should follow Susan Evans' example and disrupt BOE meetings until we get our way.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:56 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
What "hell" would that be? The violent protests by the losing side, many of whom didn't even have kids in Wake schools?

By offering an alternative to a failed policy?

Examples please? Actually, nevermind. If Margiotta cured cancer you would still spew anger and hate towards him and the rest of the board. Glad your revenge election worked out for you.
I do not want to recount here (but it's probably in previous posts of mine) but I have met Margiotta on numerous occasions, my children and I have spoken to him and the rest of the board numerous times, and I even worked for his brother many moons ago in DC. He seems to be a genuinely decent person with good intentions, but you we have been on the receiving end of his bad decisions so much that I pulled 2/3 of my kids out of WCPSS (the eldest started high school this year at Panther Creek, NOT our closest school, but we hope she can stay).

I do feel vengeful in a way--I'd like him to hear my voice--he didn't listen on the many occasions we pled with him over the disaster after disaster that has happened AFTER the 2009 election. So I put my voice behind Susan Evans even though I am not in her district. I tried, I really did. They disappointed me horribly.

I'm sure the Carpenter Village folks are pretty darn ticked, too.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:10 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Yes, that was close... we almost actually started a program that would make sense (choice). Now lets get back to pretending that kids riding around in school buses for hours so that they can pass all their neighborhood schools is good for everyone because instead of solving a problem we can just spread it around the county.
Can you explain how "choice" and "neighborhood schools" go together? By my guess, the 38 homes in my neighborhood could have kids going to 5 different elementary schools, 3 middle schools, and 2 high schools. The kids next door to me could go to three totally different schools than my kids. We already have about 5 buses coming down my cul de sac. That makes no sense to me and I don't see how it's better.

Second, "they" say that "90% of families would get their first or second choice" of schools with this plan. Exactly how many get their 1st choice? How many get 2nd? And what happens to the people who don't get either, those other 10%? And what if, as in my case, there's only one real choice for middle school and I don't get in--what does that leave me? I asked them all of these questions and they never bothered to answer me.

I would simply like to purchase a home with the school assignments in place that I can rely upon fairly well. The assignments I had when I bought my house were nutty, but stable, and the kids from the elementary fed into the same middle. That got totally disrupted by the new majority in 2011, and their proposed plan will turn it upside down AGAIN for 2012. There's been NOTHING logical, stable, or "neighborhood" about my experience .

I voted 2 years ago. I didn't have a candidate up for election this year so I worked for Ms. Evans b/c she was the closest by. I don't complain without doing my civic duty, I'm not form "up north" (every place I've lived has had large county school systems), and I don't vote by party but by ideas.

Mr. Margiotta may be a nice man with good intentions, but he and his majority did nothing but make my life difficult. So I did what I could for change.

Last edited by annesg; 10-12-2011 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary