Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 PM

332 posts, read 1,116,696 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've been considering a move to Durham for various family reasons, but need a few questions answered before the process goes any further. I've tried the search function, but haven't found the answers to my very specific questions. I'm a teacher by trade, and think I can do okay in DPS (there are always jobs if you teach SpEd!), but I need to know:

1. Does DPS offer same-sex partner health benefits?

2. If so, what is the cost of insuring said spouse? I've read here that Wake County schools charge about $500/paycheck. Is it the same plan? (If so, there goes the move. . .)

3. Any thoughts on what would happen to these benefits should that amendment pass?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 AM

915 posts, read 2,376,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Hello everyone, I've been considering a move to Durham for various family reasons, but need a few questions answered before the process goes any further. I've tried the search function, but haven't found the answers to my very specific questions. I'm a teacher by trade, and think I can do okay in DPS (there are always jobs if you teach SpEd!), but I need to know:

1. Does DPS offer same-sex partner health benefits?

2. If so, what is the cost of insuring said spouse? I've read here that Wake County schools charge about $500/paycheck. Is it the same plan? (If so, there goes the move. . .)

3. Any thoughts on what would happen to these benefits should that amendment pass?

Thanks!

Durham City offers same-sex partner benefits, but (as far as I know) Durham County does not.

I don't know the answer to the other two questions, sorry.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,720,816 times
As an employee of Durham Public Schools you would be covered by the State Health Plan. The SHP only mentions coverage being extended to spouses of employees, where a spouse is further defined as "the husband or wife of an employee or retiree who enters into a marriage that is legally recognized by the State of North Carolina." Since same-sex marriages are not legally recognized in NC, I would say that your spouse would not be eligible for benefits.

Depending on your spouse's health and age, it is possible to get coverage for WAY cheaper through a individual policy through BCBS of NC than through the state group plan. The state does not subsidize the dependent coverage at all and the fact that the plan also covers retirees really jacks up the rates for dependents.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Thanks so much for the replies. I've been confused on that very point - Durham offers same sex benefits, but the health plan is through the state? What does it all mean. . .

In general, it has not been possible for my partner to get private health insurance because of a number of pre-existing conditions. So, we definitely need to move to a city in the area where she can be insured through me. Hope someone out there knows exactly the deal with DPS!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,557,617 times
DPS would certainly have all of the answers. Why not just call them?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
DPS would certainly have all of the answers. Why not just call them?
Tried that, sat on hold for a bit, then had to hang up. I am employed teaching full time at the moment, it's not a good scene for making long phone calls to another state.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 AM

915 posts, read 2,376,563 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the replies. I've been confused on that very point - Durham offers same sex benefits, but the health plan is through the state? What does it all mean. . .

In general, it has not been possible for my partner to get private health insurance because of a number of pre-existing conditions. So, we definitely need to move to a city in the area where she can be insured through me. Hope someone out there knows exactly the deal with DPS!

Teaching jobs in the state are hired by the school district. Durham's school district is run by the county, not the city. Besides that, though, most school districts participate in the state's health insurance pool. Some bigots in the state house don't want your partner to have health insurance.

Could you or your partner try to get a job somewhere known for their good health benefits? Duke University / Med Ctr comes to mind.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM

I'd love to get a job at Duke, and I will certainly try! However, public school teacher (mostly Middle School Special Ed) doesn't really qualify for most of the jobs they have. . .

Ah, well. Maybe Durham isn't for us, after all.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,795,632 times
Quote:
there are always jobs if you teach SpEd!
I'll just pop in to say that while ^^ this ^^ used to be true, it isn't necessarily the case any more -- and I speak from experience, as I'm a special ed teacher (though not in NC).

Old 10-17-2011, 01:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,104,176 times
Even if you get State Health Plan coverage, it will cost over $500/month. Only the employee gets any subsidy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary