U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
 
574 posts, read 765,653 times
Reputation: 587
My kids like watching the cows poop. We are some seriously easy to entertain peeps.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM
 
346 posts, read 574,056 times
Reputation: 186
I wouldn't mind paying the crazy prices for the food if it was actually good. It is so hit or miss when it comes to fair food, and I hate paying $4 for a little thing of fries and they are either undercooked, or really greasy, or just don't taste good. I used to like the church stands, but the last couple times I've eaten there the food has been horrible. I wouldn't even go to the fair if I didn't have a child, but he loves it! As for me I'd rather spend that $100 on dinner at Sullivans I can't find anything I like about it, it takes me about 30 minutes to find parking, then you get in there and there are so many people you can barely walk, people are rude, the rides are super expensive and the lines are crazy long, there's litter everywhere, the food sucks, the people making the food look like they need a shower, and the shows are lame (unless you actually like country music or tractor pulls).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Southeastern Cumberland County
830 posts, read 2,044,875 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
Please fill us in on what all you usually do at the fair that is free.
All the ag exhibits are FREE...anything inside of the buildings. Go down to the Village of Yesteryear and you and can spend easily half a day or more watching/talking to the artisans in there. And going through the exhibits, you can eat for free--SAMPLES! We had muscadine cider slush (you can get a little sample cup or buy a larger cup for $3 or 2/$5, liver pudding, souse meat, honey cotton candy, peanuts, Bright Leaf hot dogs/red hots/sausage, honey, all kinds of sauces & condiments, peanut butter....and I'm forgetting some. For a small price you can buy Mt. Olive pickles, a cup of milk for $1 (I do remember when it was $.25)....and all sorts of other goodies, and not cost you an arm & leg.

You can watch bluegrass groups & cloggers for free...they're in the white tent behind the Kerr Scott Building.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Southeastern Cumberland County
830 posts, read 2,044,875 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I wouldn't mind paying the crazy prices for the food if it was actually good. It is so hit or miss when it comes to fair food, and I hate paying $4 for a little thing of fries and they are either undercooked, or really greasy, or just don't taste good. I used to like the church stands, but the last couple times I've eaten there the food has been horrible. I wouldn't even go to the fair if I didn't have a child, but he loves it! As for me I'd rather spend that $100 on dinner at Sullivans I can't find anything I like about it, it takes me about 30 minutes to find parking, then you get in there and there are so many people you can barely walk, people are rude, the rides are super expensive and the lines are crazy long, there's litter everywhere, the food sucks, the people making the food look like they need a shower, and the shows are lame (unless you actually like country music or tractor pulls).
We were there last Saturday, and the weather was BEAUTIFUL! There were 127,000+ people there. We stood in line for 1 ride.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM
 
2,091 posts, read 3,872,471 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
We were there last Saturday, and the weather was BEAUTIFUL! There were 127,000+ people there. We stood in line for 1 ride.
Right you are ... The attendance numbers (with historical data) can be found here:

2011 N.C. State Fair - About Us - Attendance (http://www.ncstatefair.org/2011/about/attendance.htm - broken link)

No daily records this year yet, but tracking close enough to last year that 1M attendees still looks achievable - especially with the weather forecast.

Frank
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: ITB Raleigh, NC
764 posts, read 1,022,261 times
Reputation: 633
Yes, timing and knowing where to get your food is everything. We always go on Tuesdays, which is the least crowded day...plus there are lots of animals then (sometimes the last weekend is spotty, as much of the competitions are over....and we LOVE animals).

If you go after 5 on a beautiful evening, or on a weekend..well, yes, its crowded.

And as this thread has shown, there is tons of great, local, food vendors. You do not have to buy the cheap food from the fair vendors. Either do your research on this other other Fair Food thread, or look for the signs that indicate that the vendors are local. Such as the Pittsboro Kiwanis, which has the great ham biscuits, which is right next the Blanchard Peanut Stand...which has amazing and local (and well priced) boiled and salted in the shell roasted peanuts. Why anyone would buy long ago bagged cotton candy from the fair vendors, when there is the amazing fresh maple or honey ones available, I have never understood. And there are tons of other examples.

And then, of course, there are the mini-donuts. And that lovely couple with the big kegs of root beer...mmmm, floats.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 PM
 
273 posts, read 290,744 times
Reputation: 231
Well, that was terrible. Two cheesesteaks, no drinks or sides, $17.50. The fudge tastes great, happy with that one. Horribly tiny fried dough for $5. Parking $10. Two tickets $16. Sitting in traffic. Cold. Too busy.

Oh yea, there was a cow or two and a few big pumpkins.

Extremely let down, cant really see going back..................... Oh well!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
2,214 posts, read 3,991,812 times
Reputation: 2081
Quote:
I wouldn't mind paying the crazy prices for the food if it was actually good. It is so hit or miss when it comes to fair food, and I hate paying $4 for a little thing of fries and they are either undercooked, or really greasy, or just don't taste good.
I will say this year I experienced the worst food I think I have ever put into my mouth. I always get an Italian sausage just because to me it's fair food. But this year the vendor I purchased from was just downright nasty.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,570 posts, read 467,111 times
Reputation: 1359
I went to the fair today for the first time. I got in for the price of 4 cans of green peas and parked for free in the handicap section but it took me 45 minutes to get from Western Ave. to the parking lot by the stadium. I was very disappointed in the layout of the fair. It makes more sense to me to have ALL the animals in one section, the midway in another, etc. Instead, it is spread out and hard to navigate. I didn't go with any anticipation of good food and I wasn't disappointed (although the kettle corn was yummy). I spent 30+ years attending the State Fair of Texas and they could give lessons on how to run a clean, organized fair.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,322 posts, read 2,120,538 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
I went to the fair today for the first time. I got in for the price of 4 cans of green peas and parked for free in the handicap section but it took me 45 minutes to get from Western Ave. to the parking lot by the stadium. I was very disappointed in the layout of the fair. It makes more sense to me to have ALL the animals in one section, the midway in another, etc. Instead, it is spread out and hard to navigate. I didn't go with any anticipation of good food and I wasn't disappointed (although the kettle corn was yummy). I spent 30+ years attending the State Fair of Texas and they could give lessons on how to run a clean, organized fair.

Yes, this!! The SC fair is smaller than the NC but I prefer it hands down because it is SO well organized. All rides in one section, food mostly in one section with a few others at the far ends, exhibits all together, animals all together etc. At the NC fair I feel like I'm wandering aimlessly.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top