Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 AM

11 posts, read 47,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOltmans View Post
If you are in Durham you might try King's Park International. Here's a link:

King's Park International Church

They do believe in what you listed in your post.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
If you want a church that believes in speaking in tounges what about an Assembly of God. I'm not sure what non-denominational churches would meet the criteria of full immersion water baptism and speaking in tounges.
Yes, Assembly of God are also good.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Then you may not be too far from Grace. It's right off 15-501 in Chapel Hill (by Lowes, Borders, etc.). I am in Cary, but I love it so I don't mind driving there every Sunday!
Thank you for your suggestion, I will visit them this week.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 75,568 times
There are several great nondenominational churches in the area. Two I can speak on are Crossroads and Hope Community Church in Cary/Raleigh.

Both believe in full immersion baptism, but neither practice speaking in tongues. I believe both churches do recognize this is/was a spiritual gift, but as a few others stated 1)the use of it can be seen as exclusive to newcomers and nonChristians 2)it is a gift that was used by the Disciples to spread the Gospel to foreign nations, not really as applicable in today's society, but not ruled out or ignored as a gift. I recommend attending a service, and speaking with the pastor afterwards.

Providence and Colonial have services that are structed like nondenom. churches, more contemporary, etc.

Just my thoughts. . . hope they provide a little more insight.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
We once discussed this with the Crossroads senior pastor since we listen to Joyce Meyer who believes in tongues.

He didn't condemn the practice but wasn't too enthusiastic about it. Crossroads doesn't have this in the worship services.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ander013 View Post
There are several great nondenominational churches in the area. Two I can speak on are Crossroads and Hope Community Church in Cary/Raleigh.

Both believe in full immersion baptism, but neither practice speaking in tongues. I believe both churches do recognize this is/was a spiritual gift, but as a few others stated 1)the use of it can be seen as exclusive to newcomers and nonChristians 2)it is a gift that was used by the Disciples to spread the Gospel to foreign nations, not really as applicable in today's society, but not ruled out or ignored as a gift. I recommend attending a service, and speaking with the pastor afterwards.

Providence and Colonial have services that are structed like nondenom. churches, more contemporary, etc.

Just my thoughts. . . hope they provide a little more insight.
Ander013,

What is the complete name of the Providence and Colonial church and what city are they located?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Providence Baptist is on Glenwood in Raleigh.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
I believe Colonial refers to Colonial Baptist Church of Cary.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:13 AM

140 posts, read 1,654,298 times
I'm kinda in the same boat. I have some atypical views on the gifts...
  • I don't believe that speaking in tongues is a requirement after receiving the Holy Spirit, and
  • I also believe that in the main worship setting, the biblical maximum of 3 times should be followed to maintain order.
And with that in mind, it has been very hard to find a church that believes in the same way. Most churches are to one extreme or the other.

I'm investigating Crosspointe Church at the moment, and have emailed them to find out more about their Holy Spirit doctrine. However, on their site, I was not able to find out anything about the exercise of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.... which probably means they don't really do it. :-(

However, I have listened to several sermons from them and am pleased with those.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 AM

Did you listen to Chuck Milian of Crossroads Fellowship or Mike Garrett of the same church on the web?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary