Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:47 PM

52 posts, read 200,857 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My finance and I have been here for about 4 months and are having trouble meeting people. Does anyone have any tips other than the typical workplace friends thing???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM

3,297 posts, read 8,540,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtoNC View Post
Hello all!

My finance and I have been here for about 4 months and are having trouble meeting people. Does anyone have any tips other than the typical workplace friends thing???

Thanks!
Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups!

Search for groups on there. There are plenty of groups for single and married people in their 20's & 30's on there. A lot of people that are new to the area join this group and it really does give you the opportunity to go out and meet some cool people.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,633,069 times
What sorts of things do you like to do? The best way to meet people is to seek out others that share common interests.

You can browse meetup.com by interest to find groups of people with similar interests. I must say that we have been to a few of the wine-related meetups and they have been fun, but this is not where we have met most of our friends. We are part of a worldwide recreational/social running club where we have met many great people. My boyfriend and I have been here for just over a year and have met enough people in that time to feel like we have a decent base of friends here. However, without that link, we probably wouldn't have nearly as many friends in such a short period of time. We would probably have resorted more to the wine, art and outdoor activity-related meetups and local events.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:58 PM

310 posts, read 1,713,664 times
My fiancée and I are in early thirties. We used to live in NY, then we moved to SC, then NC. It has been hard for us making friends in the south, people are nice and all, but friends are different thing.

I have met new people through this forum, and through meetup.com
The best way I found is to find people who share common hobby or sport. Try to find what interest you, and then look for a group or a club to join.

It was much easier in NY to meet new people and make new friends, but I guess the older one gets the harder one make friends.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:02 PM

52 posts, read 200,857 times
Thanks for the posts! I will definitely check out meetup.com...My fiance and I are big into athletics (i swam in college, and he played soccer). We have also begun bike riding quite a bit in the area (we live in morrisville).

Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,598,355 times
Athletic? Definitely check out Tri Sports
TRI SPORTS, where Triangle professionals come to Meet and Compete!

If you are into Ultimate frisbee, check out the Triangle Flying Disc Association
Triangle Flying Disc Association (TFDA)

Old 08-23-2007, 07:08 PM

11 posts, read 47,935 times
My husband and I also live in Morrisville (both in our mid-twenties). We've met lots of folks by running with the running groups at Fleet Feet sports in Raleigh (off Wade Ave. next to Whole Foods) where I work part time. It seems that a good place to meet folks around here is in outdoor activities.

You also might want to check out TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill for mountain bike info- I'm not too familiar but they might have some clubs/biking groups

Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 PM

553 posts, read 2,328,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtoNC View Post
Hello all!

Thanks!
All of the above and I have met people from this forum that share my interests. It just takes time.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:21 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,633,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
Athletic? Definitely check out Tri Sports
TRI SPORTS, where Triangle professionals come to Meet and Compete!

If you are into Ultimate frisbee, check out the Triangle Flying Disc Association
Triangle Flying Disc Association (TFDA)
I have a good friend who is a member of Tri Sports. She has met tons of people through that, and I have met some of them through her. My BF and I are not into competitive team sports, but we have attended some of the social functions and they have been fun.

I forgot to mention that the running club that we belong to is non-competitive and the emphasis is more on zany, adult fun. You don't have to be a good runner to participate. So if you like having a few beers, socializing, adult humor and following some very creative trails on varying terrain, all while getting some exercise, you might like it! PM me if you are interested.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:40 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,716,019 times
these are all great suggestions - it is pretty simple, depends on what you like to do and then find the groups/activities. We like to play tennis so we go to the local tennis courts/look for tournaments etc. It does take time - we are in our 40's - in a sense you're "starting all over" but there are great people to befriend everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary