Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I was a carrier for a couple of years in the early 90's. A single bag is usually enough if you toss it in the grass, there is no standing water and it's a normal rain. You get to know your route and know where the trouble spots are. Double bagging or tying one of the bags helps but if you skid it across the driveway all bets are off.
Hubby also was a carrier, while in college, many many years ago! However, I remember it paid very well. Is my memory correct or did we just think it paid well because we were so young and so poor?!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 AM

22 posts, read 80,095 times
Thanks to all who have complimented their paper carriers! It is truly a thankless, and low paying job. My husband has been an N&O carrier more than 10 years and the N & O treats them poorly. Some people dont realize that the carriers are independent contractors who get no benefits, have to find and pay someone to sub their routes (very hard to find) in order to take a vacation day, and have to deal with non-paying customers. My husband has done it this long for the extra money, but it is really not worth it. Hopefully his customers appreciate that he gets their paper to them everyday on time.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
I pick up my morning paper (which comes before 6am most every day) and my prior days mail (which comes about 6pm) at the same time. I wish there was such a thing as canceling mail service (or lack there of).
Same thing here paper is always early and he even double bags on the rainy days sometimes the mail doesn't get delivered until 7:00 pm. The mail carrier is a great guy I guess we're at the end of the route.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Same thing here paper is always early and he even double bags on the rainy days sometimes the mail doesn't get delivered until 7:00 pm. The mail carrier is a great guy I guess we're at the end of the route.
I do not know when my paper gets delivered but I get it on time - meaning, by the time I go pick it up (around 9am) during the week-ends

On rainy days the bag the paper on both sides

Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
When we moved from a 2nd floor apartment to a 3rd floor apartment, our paper delivery guy was this lazy bum that didn't like getting out of his car so he would just throw our paper into the air and usually it would just land on the stairwell between the 1st and 2nd floor. It was ridiculous. We ended up canceling the paper because he started not even showing up with the paper after awhile. When we told them the reason for canceling it seemed like they couldn't care less.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 AM

371 posts, read 1,218,955 times
Did you guys notice N&O cut the subscription duration by 1 week (for Sunday only subscribers) towards the price increase that they did couple of months ago even though the subscription was paid in full before the price increase? I was under the impression that pre-paid subscriptions are immune to price increases until the term expires but apparently, that is not the case. I just called to know the status and they told me this. Their system appears to be screwy. I wonder how this company is surviving

Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM

84 posts, read 188,037 times
I still give my business to the N & O they are a great paper and when I first moved here before the big massive internet change, Thats all I read to keep up. They have been atleast with me in a timely manner. Usually I just have time on Sundays and thats on time at 4 am !

Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 AM

426 posts, read 1,490,252 times
Default News Observer Delivery Issues

Is anyone else experiencing N&O delivery issues? This is now the 3rd Sunday in a row that we didnt receive our paper. They were able to redeliver the past two but with the easter bunny visiting etc., I was too late in realizing it this morning. I see a paper in my neighbors driveway, so they were in my street. My sub only ends in December and todays paper was deducted from my acct balance. Their customer service is lacking, they had no explanation for the missed papers when I called the past two Sundays. Curious what their response will be in the am. This is the first time in three yrs that we've had delivery issues. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
I have the best N&O carrier ever! No problems here. Early delivery. just not sure how much longer I am going to be willing to pay for daily newspaper that gets smaller and smaller. Too easy to get your news online. I just like to have the sports section for my daily devotion in the head. LOL

Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaLakn View Post
Is anyone else experiencing N&O delivery issues? This is now the 3rd Sunday in a row that we didnt receive our paper. They were able to redeliver the past two but with the easter bunny visiting etc., I was too late in realizing it this morning. I see a paper in my neighbors driveway, so they were in my street. My sub only ends in December and todays paper was deducted from my acct balance. Their customer service is lacking, they had no explanation for the missed papers when I called the past two Sundays. Curious what their response will be in the am. This is the first time in three yrs that we've had delivery issues. Thanks!

I've had a few missed papers (I only get M-F though) and always used the online "missed paper" response form to let them know, I've never called. They've also never had a response or reason when I do this, but I assume that's because the delivery people are independently contracted so it's not like they know someone is out sick or something. I always just get a credit on my account and it's left at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary