Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM

709 posts, read 934,224 times

Advertisements

Oh man what a real nice set up, they did a fantastic job. Now I still think this baby needs to be run in october! 100 degrees was a bit much today, hot as all getout and it is a very BIG set up, over a mile of walking and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Don't y'all just love it that two people can attend the SAME event and both have different opinions?!!

Makes you understand when I tell people that you can listen to the opinions of others when it comes to Cary or North Raleigh or Holly Springs but its YOUR opinion that counts!

Vicki

Old 08-26-2007, 06:09 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Thumbs up Great Festival, but boy was it crowded and hot!

My wife and I went to the “Lazy Daze” festival yesterday. First of all let me say that the sheer number and quality of the crafters and artisans there was spectacular. The area of downtown Cary the festival is held at is very beautiful, and the organizers did an excellent job shuttling people to and from the event. They had numerous buses constantly running from the Cary Towne Center Mall to the event and were even handing out free water to people getting on the bus. It was a well run operation.

The only downside to the festival is with regards to things the organizers can’t really control. Like previous posters said, this event gets incredibly CROWDED. I had planned on getting there by 8:30 but we were running late and didn’t catch the shuttle until 10am. As we were getting on the bus to go to the festival, I noticed that people were already returning from the festival with their many purchases. I could tell from their knowing look, that they had been through this before and I had already missed the “early bird” window and that my goose was cooked!

Sure enough when we got to the festival it was mobbed. I saw lots of great booths but it was such a chore fighting the crowds that after a while it just didn’t seem worth it. On top of that it was so hot out there that I felt like I was melting. I totally agree with Urbywan that the organizers may want to consider holding this event later in the fall. It would be much more enjoyable to browse at the event when you are not drenched from your own sweat. Three bottles of water and an hour later we decided we weren’t enjoying the event because of the heat and crowd and decided it was time to leave. Again, the shuttle bus back to the mall where I had parked was a smooth operation.

Sorry I don’t have any pictures to share, but I gave up after getting an earful from an irate crafter. I was taking a picture of the crowd on the street and she thought I was taking pictures of here artwork which was in one of the many booths in the background. She was quite nasty and proceeded to lecture me on how it was rude to take pictures of her work without asking. I tried to politely explain that I was just taking a picture of the overall scene and not her booth or works in particular, but she kept talking over me so eventually I simply begged her pardon and just turned and walked away. Between that and the heat I just wasn’t in the mood to take anymore pictures!

All in all I think this is a fantastic event. You just need to get there first thing in the morning so you can avoid the huge crowd. The weather may not always be an issue, but I do think it would be a great idea to schedule this festival during a cooler month as well.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
Funny, I woke up thinking, "We are going to this arts and crafts fair in Cary." I read your post (NRG), and then decided against it. I bet it was nice, but hauling two little kids through the hot sweaty masses didn't sound like a great afternoon. I hope everyone picked up some nice art this year.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
This festival has been this same time each year. And every year, I swear, it just gets more crowded and HOTTER!

I remember going BEFORE they even came up with the shuttle idea. Can you imagine? We'd park anywhere and everywhere!

I've heard that this event is so planned in advance that there is a waiting list for any new vendors. I'm not sure with this much success that there are plans to move it at all.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary