U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 PM

769 posts, read 1,535,122 times

Advertisements

Just had a lover quarrel with Road Runner about jacking up my INTERNET service to over $65 per month. I need to find a better solution/carrier that can give me decent speed in Durham. Any suggestion here. Frontier is offering a max speed of 3 megs for $35. I can live with that price but I would need more speed.

I just have to drop Time Warner ... the arrogance of these people. They would not allow me to continue paying $39, so then they do not need my business. I have to divorce Time Warner/Roadrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM

767 posts, read 1,580,956 times
earthlink for 29.95.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 PM

121 posts, read 211,952 times
In many areas Frontier is putting in fiberoptic as well..I believe the slowest is faster than what you are talking about thought.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:38 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,447,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Just had a lover quarrel with Road Runner about jacking up my INTERNET service to over $65 per month. I need to find a better solution/carrier that can give me decent speed in Durham. Any suggestion here. Frontier is offering a max speed of 3 megs for $35. I can live with that price but I would need more speed.

I just have to drop Time Warner ... the arrogance of these people. They would not allow me to continue paying $39, so then they do not need my business. I have to divorce Time Warner/Roadrunner
I need to do the same thing..I never watch my cable & my cable/internet is $65. My verizon is 120 for 2 lines.. with unlimited text.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
earthlink for 29.95.
How many megs do you get for that price? How reliable is the service?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 AM

631 posts, read 960,910 times
Quote:
How many megs do you get for that price? How reliable is the service?
Earthlink in our area is just rebranded RoadRunner at a much lower, fixed price. Speeds are 10/1 just like Road Runner Standard since it's is on the same exact pipe as TWC. You still call TWC for support and billing. Best strategy is to call up Earthlink to get locked in for $29.95 ($41.95 after promo), wait for your Earthlink account to be opened (welcome packet in the mail), and then call TWC to switch the configuration on your modem. Do a quick search and you'll see this topic discussed extensively.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Earthlink in our area is just rebranded RoadRunner at a much lower, fixed price. Speeds are 10/1 just like Road Runner Standard since it's is on the same exact pipe as TWC. You still call TWC for support and billing. Best strategy is to call up Earthlink to get locked in for $29.95 ($41.95 after promo), wait for your Earthlink account to be opened (welcome packet in the mail), and then call TWC to switch the configuration on your modem. Do a quick search and you'll see this topic discussed extensively.
You mentioned getting locked in at the $29.95, but that is only for 6-months as per Connect faster by using Earthlink Internet Service in your area! | Earthlink.AuthorizedOffers.com ... I will try this ... anything to get rid of Time Warner. I just think that DSL with the phone company is going to be too slow. You would think that there would be more competition with so many folks on the INTERNET now a days; go figure Thanks member

Old 10-29-2011, 05:17 AM

767 posts, read 1,580,956 times
Quote:
You mentioned getting locked in at the $29.95, but that is only for 6-months as per Connect faster by using Earthlink Internet Service in your area! | Earthlink.AuthorizedOffers.com ... I will try this ... anything to get rid of Time Warner. I just think that DSL with the phone company is going to be too slow. You would think that there would be more competition with so many folks on the INTERNET now a days; go figure Thanks member
The trick is to have TWC for tv and earthlink for internet. That way you can have two promos on at all times. I have never paid more then 73 total for HDTV and internet. It takes patience but I've been doing it for about 4 years. Last week it took me 2 hours of haggling to get what I wanted.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:52 AM

242 posts, read 781,490 times
Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Hotspot and you can take it with you whereever you go. Might be worth a look

Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
The trick is to have TWC for tv and earthlink for internet. That way you can have two promos on at all times. I have never paid more then 73 total for HDTV and internet. It takes patience but I've been doing it for about 4 years. Last week it took me 2 hours of haggling to get what I wanted.
The thing about that is I no longer use them for TV as I am now using Direct-TV. However, I could get a similar deal with Frontier for phone and DSL, but the DSL will not yield me more than 3 megs, and being used to 10 megs and then dropping to 3 megs would seem a bit odd to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary