U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,659,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I think that libraries should be in the area with the biggest growth. A small branch would be GREAT over someplace near Southpoint. In my opinion, Shannon Rd. and the new one coming up are NOT areas of growth, in my opinion, they are areas on the downswing.
Seems to me that Southpoint is close to...Southpoint....and Shannon Road is close to a lot of things!

But then, I go to the library far more often than any mall, so what do I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 AM

841 posts, read 916,806 times
Or $50 for the Perkins Library.... Check the website for the gemeral public hours too.
CUT AND PASTE FROM DUKE:

All other patrons using Duke University Libraries
  • You must apply for library privileges.
  • A Perkins System/Divinity Card is available for an annual fee of $50, with no charge for alumni.

This card provides access to all Perkins System libraries and the Divinity library.

It does NOT include Law, Medicine and Ford libraries, videos from the Lilly library, or off-campus access to electronic databases.

This card is available free of charge to immediate family members of Duke staff, faculty and students; Duke retirees, and others with a Duke affiliation, and may be obtained at the Perkins, Divinity, and Lilly libraries.
  • A Campus Borrowers Card, available for an annual fee of $100, or $75 for alumni, provides access to all Perkins System libraries plus Divinity, Law, Medicine and Ford Business libraries.

This card may be purchased at the Perkins and Lilly circulation desks.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM

3,155 posts, read 6,623,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I'm rather baffled that the piece of land on Shannon Road where the library is would be considered large enough for an elementary school?
You are right that the land the SW Regional Library sits on is way to small for an elementary school. I'm referring to the land the South Regional Library was built on, which is on Alston Ave / Hwy 55. It's much further South and more East of Shannon road. It's across from Lowes Grove Middle School and there is an old ( turn of the century ?) school on the land that was the original Lowes Grove Elememtary School. The building is beyond repair for reuse as a school. The new South Regional Library was built on this land and opened in 2010 after the tiny Parkwood Library in a strip mall was closed.

The Southwest Regional Library is the one near Shannon Rd. The Southwest Regional Library was expanded and got an interior face lift sometime in the last 4 years. Both are great libraries and given they are about 20 mins from each other they both are needed in Durham.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 837 times
Default Main Library Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
The downtown branch is slated for a re-model. Final design plans have already been approved, and construction is set to break ground next year. If I remember correctly, they're going to remodel one floor at a time, allowing the branch to stay open throughout. They're also adding a floor, and moving the entrance/focus to the Roxboro street side of the building (to make the building better integrate with downtown).
Hi All,

I'm Gina Rozier, the Marketing and Development Manager for Durham County Library.

Thank you for all the wonderful and informative comments about the library. Here is some clarification about the renovation of Main.

The Main Library is slated for renovation beginning in 2015 with an anticipated completion date of 2018. The date was pushed back because of the poor economy. There is a good chance the stairwell in the center of the building will be moved, so I'm not sure about the likelihood of keeping the building open during renovation. The renovation budget also does not include any significant additional square footage, either horizontally or vertically.

For updates about Main's renovation, please visit: Main Library Renovation - Durham County Library

We are all anxious to see the Main Library get a makeover. It is well used, well loved and looking it!

Gina

Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM

919 posts, read 1,033,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Rozier View Post
Hi All,

I'm Gina Rozier, the Marketing and Development Manager for Durham County Library.

Thank you for all the wonderful and informative comments about the library. Here is some clarification about the renovation of Main.

The Main Library is slated for renovation beginning in 2015 with an anticipated completion date of 2018. The date was pushed back because of the poor economy. There is a good chance the stairwell in the center of the building will be moved, so I'm not sure about the likelihood of keeping the building open during renovation. The renovation budget also does not include any significant additional square footage, either horizontally or vertically.

For updates about Main's renovation, please visit: Main Library Renovation - Durham County Library

We are all anxious to see the Main Library get a makeover. It is well used, well loved and looking it!

Gina
The plans have changed since the last time I looked. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM

2,816 posts, read 2,942,880 times
Oh Wow ! Thanks Gina ! Hopefully I will be there by the time the Main Library is ready. That is, if my house ever sells....

Old 11-02-2011, 07:12 AM

449 posts, read 428,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
You have to pay $100 a year to checkout, unless you have a family member that works or goes to school at Duke:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Or $50 for the Perkins Library....
Ouch.... Think I will stick to my free local library. But thanks for the information, good to know should we ever need it.

Quote:
The Main Library is slated for renovation beginning in 2015 with an anticipated completion date of 2018.
Thanks for the information Gina. Glad to know the library is slated for a little TLC.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM

671 posts, read 613,016 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Gina
1. One thing you can say about Durham...Durham people search the web for news about their stuff. I remember one higher-up from the DPAC made a profile and responded to a post on here...now the library folks.

Gina, tell 'em what I said about a library in Southpoint, pls and thx.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 PM

789 posts, read 1,679,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
1. One thing you can say about Durham...Durham people search the web for news about their stuff. I remember one higher-up from the DPAC made a profile and responded to a post on here...now the library folks.

Gina, tell 'em what I said about a library in Southpoint, pls and thx.
More than likely they have a Google alert set up to address situations such as this quickly.

Google Alerts - Monitor the Web for interesting new content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary