Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Agreed. I'd be ok with an HOA as long as it wasn't too restrictive. I really want to be able to set up agility equipment, and some people will find it unattractive I'm sure With a well configured lot so it can be partially hidden, it might work.

I NEED a traditional fence, however. My largest dog is only 9 pounds and the collars for the wire fences just don't work well for small dogs. I don't need to fence the entire lot, just an area large enough for them to go out to potty safely. They are reliable off leash, and hang out in the yard with me. I also do all training off leash in an unfenced area currently.

So how do I go about finding a realtor willing to do all this legwork for me? Everyone recommends someone different!

I sent you a DM. I have my personal recommendation for a realtor, who really went above and beyond for us (she brings us a pumpkin every year in October, too). But I would think any realtor worth his/her salt would be willing to put in a few hours to weed out the properties you don't want and find a few that you might. I had a real estate license in another state, and the research was my favorite part!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Agreed. I'd be ok with an HOA as long as it wasn't too restrictive. I really want to be able to set up agility equipment, and some people will find it unattractive I'm sure !
I think you are right. My HOA is not that restrictive but I know they have given some people a hard time about athletic equipment in yards. Also, you mentioned chickens....

Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think you are right. My HOA is not that restrictive but I know they have given some people a hard time about athletic equipment in yards. Also, you mentioned chickens....
Unfortunately, chickens are persona non grata anywhere in the Town of Cary.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Yup, I know.

It's just on my "perfect world" list. Not something I want or have time for right now anyway. But I'd like to make this house our home, if not forever, then a reaallllly long time. And I know I'd like chickens someday. So it's just there, a thought. I'd also like a large vegetable garden.

A girl can dream, right?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hmmmm, I hear there's a guy near me who has them (not in a subdivision obviously). Guess he has a big enough property it's not noticeable.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Hmmmm, I hear there's a guy near me who has them (not in a subdivision obviously). Guess he has a big enough property it's not noticeable.
There *are* "agriculture" zoned properties in Cary. Plenty of farms in the hinterlands on the Chatham county line. Not that they're really hinterlands to the people in the subdivisions near there

I have a veggie garden in my yard. My HOA rules state that you just can't be able to see it from the street. You can't. But I don't have neighbors behind me and only to one side, and no one but us can see it. Just read any HOA rules and post here about specific n'hoods and get a good realtor--that's how you do your due diligence.

It's hard for me in my mind to put together kid friendly + wide open spaces + chickens, so another poster will have to come up with suggestions for that I have done small town New England living, urban living, "country" living in the 'burbs (had a neighbor with chickens, no sidewalks or HOAs), and now HOA'd newer subdivision. There were things I loved about each and every one. I miss city living and walkability. I miss the rural feel of a dead end street and Easter morning chicks. I miss small New England town life and walking to the commuter rail and the little league park. You just have to prioritize and decide what you want the most. For us, we had young kids when we moved here and we wanted to meet kids and their parents fast--we'd moved the kids from a comfortable place and a good private school for a job opportunity here. We gave up lot size, but kept a really private lot; got sidewalks and walkability to some places, including a nice park via a greenway, and some shopping/dining. It's definitely suburban. It's definitely cookie cutter. In my mind's eye I see myself living in a cute intown bungalow in bucolic Chapel Hill, with 3 bedrooms, a couple of baths, a big yard, and a dog, and about 1800 sf. But that wasn't going to work for our commute, our kids, or our wallets. So here we are!

I'd say sit down, rank your top 5 priorities--things you think are the linchpins to your happiness here--and pass that to your realtor. Odds are that if you're lucky you'll get 3 but still feel like you can stay where you are a long time. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary