Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 PM

20 posts, read 79,747 times

Advertisements

Hubby & I are seriously planning a move to the Raleigh area in the spring. We have been looking at the Pittsboro area as it would fit a lot of our criteria. We have been looking for quite a while and even came up for a visit about 2 years ago, so we know we like the feel of the area.

However, it's troubling us that two areas we liked a lot - Bobcat Point and Chesnut Crossing - always seem to have houses for sale. They aren't that huge and it's not new inventory. But we remember seeing houses in Bobcat Point for sale when we drove through there a couple of years ago. And though it might not be the same houses for sale now, there are several in that neighborhood on now too.

The Chesnut Crossing subdivision is rather small, but we've been watching houses sit on the market there.

Are we missing something? Is there some reason that people are selling up or not staying in these areas?

We'd hate to fall in love with a house and buy it thinking it's our dream house only to find out that it sits on top of a former toxic waste site!

Or is it just an overall sign of the economy and current housing market in the area?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I'm not understanding your concern. I don't know those areas in particular, but the Triangle is an area with a lot of corporate (and other) transplants - both in and out. I think of the neighborhoods I've lived in here (in good economy and now) and I don't recall a time when there weren't some houses for sale. It seems to me that it's pretty much a constant ...

Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 PM

20 posts, read 79,747 times
I guess that makes sense then. In the neighborhood I live in now, houses just don't come on the market that often. I've lived here 5 years and none of the houses on my particular street have been up in that time. I guess it would be different in an area with a lot of corporate transfers.

I just found it really strange that as of a month ago, the Chesnut Crossing subdivision (which consists of 1 circular road with about 15 houses on it) had 3 houses for sale. One has since been taken off the market as it didn't sell and the other 2 are still listed (have been since June)

Maybe it's more the fact that the properties aren't selling than how many are up for sale - makes me wonder why they're sitting there for months on end.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggyLuv View Post
Maybe it's more the fact that the properties aren't selling than how many are up for sale - makes me wonder why they're sitting there for months on end.
That's everywhere. Housing market isn't what it used to be.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
I don't know, Puggyluv. Don't let anyone oversimplify it. I've been in my phase of my n'hood (38 homes) for over 3 years and nothing has turned over--it's a newer subdivision and to my knowledge, it's all original owners (oldest is 5-6 years old). I'd ask a realtor about these specific communities.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM

228 posts, read 802,718 times
Like Annesg said, a real estate agent can pull up the house on MLS and see how long it's been sitting there. We have houses in our neighborhood that have been on and off the market for years. When we were looking for housing 3 years ago there were just tons of properties with really unrealistic pricing, and long long periods on the market, and, to boot, short occupancy. So basically they bought at the height, did maybe a little reno, and were trying to make a profit on it. This in part (to me) explains part of the housing issue, people were expecting to make a killing thanks to all of those TV shows and they didn't, so now they are stuck with a house they overpaid for.

BTW, completely off topic, now is a GREAT time to refinance. We are closing in a week on 3.25% APR.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
I think the high availablility has to do with location. Also, their schools aren't the greatest.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Other than it being on a relatively rural side of the Triangle, I don't think there is anything wrong with that area. You're close to Jordan lake. It is relatively close to Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant, but it doesn't seem much closer than some parts of Apex/Holly Springs/Fuquay Varina.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,694 times
Two words Briar Chapel.... Just up the road towards chapel hill with a chapel hill address and just chatham county taxes

Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Two words Briar Chapel.... Just up the road towards chapel hill with a chapel hill address and just chatham county taxes
I imagine those that are attracted to Briar Chapel would not be attracted to the 2 neighborhoods the OP mentioned. Briar Chapel's lots are measured in square feet and the other neighborhood's lots are measured in acres. Two completely different type of buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary