U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 PM

61 posts, read 74,545 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Raleigh ... close to Rt. 1 (Capitol Blvd) and near the Wake Forest line.
I am looking for recommendations for banks which offer free checking and have convenient locations ... easy to park as well as decent, personable service. Directions and/or links definitely appreciated.

Thank you for any assistance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:22 PM

9,080 posts, read 18,841,086 times
I know people will probably disagree with me, but I have had zero problems with Wells Fargo now that my old bank (Wachio) has been gobbled up by them. I have free checking with them as long as I have direct deposit, which I do. They also have a ton of locations throughout the Triangle so finding an ATM is pretty easy. There is a Wells Fargo in the Wakefield Shopping center just off of Capital Boulevard by Wake Forest. Here is a link to the location Map. Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 PM

17,597 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Remember two things: 1) Nothing is free. 2) The customer pays for everything.
This isn't bad or evil... it's reality.

Now, what other than a monthly fee, are you willing to exchange...
in order to have checking services not separately billed?

hth

Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,286,815 times
I'm quite happy with Coastal Federal Credit Union.

And unlike Mr. Rational, I have a 100% free checking account (actually pays me interest). Perhaps some customer pays for my free checking, but I surely don't.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,317,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I know people will probably disagree with me, but I have had zero problems with Wells Fargo now that my old bank (Wachio) has been gobbled up by them.
I don't disagree with you, but think it's not if, but when someone has a problem with the "giant monster megabanks".

My recommendation to the OP is to look first at a credit union. You can go to Credit Union National Association to find out which CUs you may be eligible to join. I have been SECU for several years and have been very satisfied. They don't meet the OPs requirement of free checking, but the interest on checking and the MMA is more than the $1/month charge.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 PM

8,652 posts, read 15,937,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I don't disagree with you, but think it's not if, but when someone has a problem with the "giant monster megabanks".

My recommendation to the OP is to look first at a credit union. You can go to Credit Union National Association to find out which CUs you may be eligible to join. I have been SECU for several years and have been very satisfied. They don't meet the OPs requirement of free checking, but the interest on checking and the MMA is more than the $1/month charge.
The $1 is actually a charitable contribution to the SECU Foundation and is used for very good purposes like a home for parents of seveerly ill children near the hospital.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:55 PM

25 posts, read 27,567 times
wells fargo offers free checking.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM

225 posts, read 439,222 times
I'm not a huge fan, but since they are dropping the $5 fee, may want to look at bank of america. With their keep the change program you can get a few dollars back a month.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM

796 posts, read 1,843,987 times
I have free checking with the Big Bad BOA (glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon and switch so soon). I have e-banking which is a minimal service account (no services from tellers). However, there is another free account which requires a direct deposit of at least $250 or more or $1500 minimum balance.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,488,670 times
I totally dumped B of A, and went to an online bank (ING) No buildings, so no problem with overhead and no fees. You pay $5 for 50 checks and I plan to stop using checks totally when I get it all straight. You have to use their checks, so they don't want alot of paper in their nowhere bank !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary