U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 AM

47 posts, read 177,937 times

Advertisements

Our new house has a backyard full of poison ivy. I'm extremely allergic to it and we have young children who will likely not be able to identify and stay out of it. I don't want to kill it with any chemicals as that carries its own set of problems and I've heard that pulling it all up is the best bet. So my question is are there any companies in the Triangle area that are especially skilled at ridding yards of poison ivy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 09:16 AM

19,689 posts, read 31,496,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleysea View Post
Our new house has a backyard full of poison ivy. I'm extremely allergic to it and we have young children who will likely not be able to identify and stay out of it. I don't want to kill it with any chemicals as that carries its own set of problems and I've heard that pulling it all up is the best bet. So my question is are there any companies in the Triangle area that are especially skilled at ridding yards of poison ivy?
Pick up a SouthSide Shopper and find an ad from "Mr. Nasty."
He specifically mentions poison ivy removal as one of the nasty jobs he does.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 AM

2,828 posts, read 8,178,350 times
I am also allergic, and I knew my kids couldn't figure it out! My husband isn't allergic and he did spray it, but honestly, it didn't work that well! I would say having someone pull it up would be a good thing.

Leigh

Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 63,429 times
Spraying Roundup has always worked for me.

By the way, something I've found for treating poison ivy, since i'm alergic as well, is Technu. It even claims to prevent getting it, if you put it on before coming in contact.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:25 AM

847 posts, read 2,410,990 times
Mr. Nasty!!! hehee

Two non-chemical solutions that worked for us (and I'm pretty allergic):

Place an opaque tarp over the area to deny the plants sunshine. They will shrivel. This may take a while.

Put on long rubber gloves and pull out the plants, including the root. This works best for young plants.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 AM

7,473 posts, read 14,754,950 times
we sprayed with Brush Be Gone one spring. Everything died and it did not come back. Pulling them out is good but if you leave any underground runners, they'll just come back next year. Spraying is a sure fire way to make sure it kills the plant all the way to the root. Regular broadleaf weed killer doesn't always work because it's a "woody" vine. It will kill the leaves and LOOK dead, but doesn't get all the way through the system. You need something that kills woody types of plants.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 PM

47 posts, read 177,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Pick up a SouthSide Shopper and find an ad from "Mr. Nasty."
He specifically mentions poison ivy removal as one of the nasty jobs he does.
Would I be likely to find a Southside Shopper outside of grocery stores? Sorry, I'm very new to the area so I'm still learning my way.

I found this link <b>Poison Ivy Problems? Pulling is the way to go - </b> which explains the best way to remove poison ivy but it sounds too complicated to do myself.

I've heard that Roundup kills frogs and lizards and I don't want that on my conscience - if it killed Copperheads, maybe . Anyway, I'll look into the Brush Be Gone.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM

19,689 posts, read 31,496,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleysea View Post
Would I be likely to find a Southside Shopper outside of grocery stores? Sorry, I'm very new to the area so I'm still learning my way.

I found this link <b>Poison Ivy Problems? Pulling is the way to go - </b> which explains the best way to remove poison ivy but it sounds too complicated to do myself.

I've heard that Roundup kills frogs and lizards and I don't want that on my conscience - if it killed Copperheads, maybe . Anyway, I'll look into the Brush Be Gone.

Thanks for the info everyone!
Look for the Southside Shopper outside Raleigh, Garner, Clayton, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina convenience stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary