Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

According to the N&O, these areas will be closed down for a movie on Wedneday, 11/9/2011:

-200 block of Fayetteville Street and the City Plaza from 5 am to 5 pm
-200 block of West Martin Street from 10 am to 7 pm
-200 block of South Street intermittently from noon to 5 pm

They're filming a movie, "Arthur Newman, Golf Pro," starring (Academy Award Winner) Colin Firth and (Golden Globe winner) Emily Blunt.

Here's an IMDB.com page for it. It will be released in 2013.

Arthur Newman, Golf Pro (2013) - IMDb

After Googling, I found the movie is now being referred to as "Untitled Dark Comedy" and not "Arthur Newman, Golf Pro."

A TV commercial director is making his directorial debut.

Here's an article from Wilmington describing the Ft. Fisher shoot: Colin Firth, Emily Blunt in area to begin filming of 'Arthur Newman' | StarNewsOnline.com

I was an extra for Patch Adams; that was so much fun. The back of my head and my shoulders appeared in the movie. I wish we had more movies filmed here.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Oh, Colin Firth, why do you torment me so So near, yet so far!
This is his 2nd time here. He made a movie in Durham (I think) in recent years. I have appointments ALL day tomorrow in Durham, otherwise I might be tempted to check out the filming. I am not normally wowed by this sort of stuff but, for my homeboy Colin, well, I have to make an exception

Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Wow second movie he's made in the Triangle. Guess Colin Firth doesn't mind our area so much

Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Oh, Colin Firth, why do you torment me so So near, yet so far!
This is his 2nd time here. He made a movie in Durham (I think) in recent years. I have appointments ALL day tomorrow in Durham, otherwise I might be tempted to check out the filming. I am not normally wowed by this sort of stuff but, for my homeboy Colin, well, I have to make an exception

Thanks for sharing!
He's also going to be in Durham at the NC School of Science and Math on Thursday.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I was an extra for Patch Adams; that was so much fun. The back of my head and my shoulders appeared in the movie. I wish we had more movies filmed here.
I was an extra in "The Handmaid's Tale" (w/ Natasha Richardson, Faye Dunaway and Robert Duvall) in two scenes, shot in 1989 at Duke Chapel and the American Tobacco Warehouse (when it was still a warehouse). You can see a 22-years-younger-me in the opening credits

Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I was an extra in "The Handmaid's Tale" (w/ Natasha Richardson, Faye Dunaway and Robert Duvall) in two scenes, shot in 1989 at Duke Chapel and the American Tobacco Warehouse (when it was still a warehouse). You can see a 22-years-younger-me in the opening credits
WOW! I had no idea that movie was in part filmed here. LOVED that movie and the book even more. I've got to go back and watch that again now. Thanks.

In regards to the OP's topic, I find it extremely interesting that no one has complained about Colin Firth messing up traffic but a few weeks back all the buzz was about business grinding to a halt and all the traffic messes for the President to come to town.

Maybe Colin should run for President and we'll all be a lot happier.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
In regards to the OP's topic, I find it extremely interesting that no one has complained about Colin Firth messing up traffic but a few weeks back all the buzz was about business grinding to a halt and all the traffic messes for the President to come to town.

Maybe Colin should run for President and we'll all be a lot happier.
According to my husband that works downtown, PLENTY of people were complaining about it. He even watched a man get into a shouting match with a police officer because he couldn't walk down Fayetteville St.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:34 AM

64 posts, read 173,611 times
They were only using a block or so at a time for filming. I chose to walk down Salisbury Street instead of Fayetteville St. to get to my destination. However, if I were trying to get to a business ON Fayetteville St., within the block of filming, I would have been quite frustrated. In all fun, it was interesting to watch filming and see what people in that industry are doing while they are "at work" from the crew to the actors. To the PPs who've been extras in films - how cool! I'd love to have that experience one day.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisgal82 View Post
They were only using a block or so at a time for filming. I chose to walk down Salisbury Street instead of Fayetteville St. to get to my destination. However, if I were trying to get to a business ON Fayetteville St., within the block of filming, I would have been quite frustrated. In all fun, it was interesting to watch filming and see what people in that industry are doing while they are "at work" from the crew to the actors. To the PPs who've been extras in films - how cool! I'd love to have that experience one day.

It's rewarding when you make it in whatever they are shooting, but the process itself is very unglamourous. You usually need to get there before the sun comes out, and can stay late into the evening, there is a TON of standing around either waiting to be used in a scene, as well as waiting for the crew members to set up everything for a scene, and of course, it's all for minimum wage. But again, it's really nice when you can actually make it in the final product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary