Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 04:47 PM

80 posts, read 145,905 times

Advertisements

I moved to CH last year and am landscaping my entire yard. There's a place I used in Charlotte that has great discount plants, but I haven't been able to find a similar resource in the Triangle. I don't mind traveling 30-40 minutes and am looking for 1 gallon sizes of basic plants - gardenias, azaleas, rhododendrons, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Search this forum for Broadwells and Old Stage Nursery. They are an hour-ish from Chapel Hill, in Angier, but well worth the trip if you are landscaping your entire yard.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
I really like Niche Gardens for finding NC native plants, including azaleas and the like. I know that Kiefer Landscaping in Durham was having a sale on perennials last time I was there. Buy 2 get one free or something like that.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,410 times
Yeah, kfx216, I don't know of a place right in or near Chapel Hill that exactly fits your description. Like evaofnc, I would also recommend Kiefer's Nursery in Durham, although they specialize more in nice, large, B&B material than little 1-gallon shrubs. But certainly worth a look.

As CHTransplant suggested, there's a place called Broadwell's Nursery which is out in the country south of Raleigh, on Old Stage Road near the town of Angier, NC. Broadwell's is legendary around here as the lowest-price source of shrubs and small trees in the area. The prices there are truly phenomenal. The downside is that they don't have a very broad selection, most things there are not labeled so it can be hard to tell exactly what's what and how much it costs, and the quality of the plants can be inconsistent. Overall, I really don't like shopping there very much, although I do go there once in a while when I just need bulk quantities of basic bread-and-butter shrubs. Also, I don't remember seeing 1-gallon shrubs for sale at Broadwell's, and certainly the emphasis of their product mix is on 3- and 7-gallon shrubs, with occasional larger containers or B&B's.

To me, a better option can be to go to Adcock's Nursery on Sunset Lake Road in between Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina, or to Taylor's Nursery on New Bern Avenue on the east side of Raleigh. Both are primarily wholesale nurseries that grow their own plants, but they will also sell to retail customers. Both are a little reluctant to do retail, so they don't promote it very much, but they will sell at retail if you show up there. When they sell plants retail, they do mark them up a bit over their true wholesale price, but they still end up being substantially cheaper than buying them at garden centers. And both have much wider selection on plants than Broadwell's, and generally much better and more uniform quality, although still they don't have a whole lot of 1-gallon shrub material. Both also even have their availability and pricing listed online as well:

productsearch

www.taylorsnursery.com - Taylor's Nursery Located in Raleigh, North Carolina

Hope this helps!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:44 AM

For truly local nurseries in Chapel Hill, in addition to Niche Gardens I would recommend The Unique Plant:

The Unique Plant

Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
For truly local nurseries in Chapel Hill, in addition to Niche Gardens I would recommend The Unique Plant:

The Unique Plant
I love The Unique Plant, and go there often. It's a great place and terrific people, although they have weird hours (only Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays), and they don't accept any credit or debit cards, which is a nuisance. But definitely worth a visit.

It's in a totally different category from what the OP was asking about, though. Rather than small, inexpensive, basic plants, The Unique Plant specializes in rare or unusual specimen plants, and their prices are not particularly low. So, it's not really what kfx216 was looking for in this instance, exactly, but certainly a good place to know about.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM

I agree Tom. Just adding to the OP's knowledge of what's around locally.

The local Chapel Hill nurseries tend to be small, specialized places. Great services. Truly unique selections.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM

80 posts, read 145,905 times
Thanks for all the replies! I have been to Niche and plan to buy a tree there, but my budget won't allow much else. Broadwell's doesn't scare me :-), but I may wait 'til I landscape the back yard to make the trek there. Thanks for the other suggestions, including Unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary