Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 PM

334 posts, read 625,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Hi all,

A general contractor came to me door the other day. He said he had done some work on the house about two years ago. I explained that it was for the previous family, but would be willing to learn more about their business.

I asked him to send me a proposal for two home improvement projects. He continued to try to get me to commit to cleaning the gutters that day after I told him I was not interested since the leaves are still falling (and I have a "forest" in the backyard).

I asked the guy how long the company had been in business and he responded "We are accredited with the BBB." Okay, but that doesn't answer my question and what consumer trusts the BBB? They are paid by business owners. Whose interest are they going to truly protect?

This morning I received the following email...

We propose to remove existing carpet, lay vapor barrier, prep, and then install hardwood flooring in place of carpet. We will then sand and stain existing hardwood floor. Price will be at $9.50 per sq ft. Material is not included.

We also propose to clean all gutters around house including down spouts and install 4" solid gutter cover by amerimax for $600 this week or $750 after one week from original proposal. Material is included.

Thank you for your business and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
There was no company name, contact name or anything other than what I copied above. I have never seen such an unprofessional proposal in my life. Is this typical?

My first reaction is that the company would not be knocking on doors if they were any good, but I know times are tough so I'm overlooking that one. I also don't like the "strong arm" tactic of raising the price if I don't decide this week especially when next week is a holiday.

What is your opinion about this response? I know I could just decline to move forward, but I really need to understand how business works out here so I can make an informed decision when I search for contractors. How do I start to find reputable companies here? Word-of-mouth is not helpful because we don't know most of our neighbors and the few who speak haven't been here that long, themselves.

Where do I begin?

TIA!
If it were me, I would call the non- emergency number for the police and make a report. this sounds like a bogus, desperate people do bad things kinda deal and we all need to be watchful now, it's bad out there and gonna get worse. and at the the risk of getting preachy... there but for the grace of god could go any of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 PM

735 posts, read 1,583,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I don't have gutter guards but have thought about getting them; however, last week, I showed a home with gutter guards. The pine needles from the pine trees were in clumps, laying on top of the gutter guards.

Great that the gutter guards kept the pine needles out of the gutters but since so much of them came down, they were just lying there. Do any of the gutter guards really work?

Vicki
Vicki,

I've had LeafGuard's for awhile now and when we purchased our recent house it came with them too. They were installed in 2001 here and still look like new. They did have a slight stop up and after a single phone call, they were crystal clean the next day w/o charge.

I did have to transfer the warranty from the previous owner to myself which cost me $100, but the warranty is for life or until I move and then the next owner can decide to transfer it or not.

They work great.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I NEVER give money or business to anybody who comes cold to my door----Except Girl Scouts selling cookies....
I even ask them to show their 'cookie merit badge'

Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,152 times
In Durham, what I understand, is they have to have a soliciters license to go door to door. Next time ask to see that. If he doesnt' have one, say no thank you, close the door & call the non-emergency police number so they can come chase him off before he pesters too many of your neighbors.

In our neighborhood we also post something to the listserve so folks know there is someone in the neighborhood. Amazing what saying "Yeah, so & so from down the street said you were around & soliciting illegally" can do to get someone off your door stoop right quick!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I usually give those guys the ten count. I advise the same
Home Alone Scene With The Guns - YouTube

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
I would LOVE to know if such a license is required in Raleigh. We have had some problems in our neighborhood with people posing as NCSU students asking for donations to various causes.

I would never hire a contractor who came to the door, although in NY on occasion I would pay someone $20 to shovel my driveway. I admired their enterprising spirit.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
We're pretty fortunate - in my neighborhood we have a well-established group of contractors that many people use regularly. I see these folks in the neighborhood almost every week. Everyone knows who they are and trusts them. If any of these guys do a poor job, they're going to lose a lot of business quickly just within our neighborhood. There's a general contractor who does large projects (e.g., finishing out attics) to smaller. We have a handy-man who does small repairs (was once the warranty person for the builder). And we have a landscaping guy who does mulch and other yard projects (but not lawn care).

Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshinokaze View Post
Agreed, red flags everywhere.
I have read during my house hunting research that sometimes contractors will attempt to get money from you by claiming that the previous owner owed them for work done to the property. Did you purchase any kind of insurance when you bought the property to protect against such a thing? I forget what it's called right off.
And seconded that you should be the one to initiate contact with a contractor and not vice versa.
My .02$
When you get the title transferred you get title insurance. Your lawyer is paid to search out any liens against the property. I think title insurance, in part, covers for any mistakes.
Don't pay for alleged work unless they present a lien, and then consult a lawyer.
People do not respect lawyers . . . until they need one!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I would LOVE to know if such a license is required in Raleigh. We have had some problems in our neighborhood with people posing as NCSU students asking for donations to various causes.
I would never hire a contractor who came to the door
Contractors and solicitations in Wake County are regulated. Check out wakegov.com

The Wake County Sheriff's office will be happy to send out a deputy to deal with either situation, in my experience.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Here is a more detail on permits and contractors:
WakeGOV.com - When Permits Are Required Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary