U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 AM

1,764 posts, read 827,220 times
Default Contractor Came to Door...

Hi all,

A general contractor came to me door the other day. He said he had done some work on the house about two years ago. I explained that it was for the previous family, but would be willing to learn more about their business.

I asked him to send me a proposal for two home improvement projects. He continued to try to get me to commit to cleaning the gutters that day after I told him I was not interested since the leaves are still falling (and I have a "forest" in the backyard).

I asked the guy how long the company had been in business and he responded "We are accredited with the BBB." Okay, but that doesn't answer my question and what consumer trusts the BBB? They are paid by business owners. Whose interest are they going to truly protect?

This morning I received the following email...

We propose to remove existing carpet, lay vapor barrier, prep, and then install hardwood flooring in place of carpet. We will then sand and stain existing hardwood floor. Price will be at $9.50 per sq ft. Material is not included.

We also propose to clean all gutters around house including down spouts and install 4" solid gutter cover by amerimax for $600 this week or $750 after one week from original proposal. Material is included.

Thank you for your business and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

There was no company name, contact name or anything other than what I copied above. I have never seen such an unprofessional proposal in my life. Is this typical?

My first reaction is that the company would not be knocking on doors if they were any good, but I know times are tough so I'm overlooking that one. I also don't like the "strong arm" tactic of raising the price if I don't decide this week especially when next week is a holiday.

What is your opinion about this response? I know I could just decline to move forward, but I really need to understand how business works out here so I can make an informed decision when I search for contractors. How do I start to find reputable companies here? Word-of-mouth is not helpful because we don't know most of our neighbors and the few who speak haven't been here that long, themselves.

Where do I begin?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 AM

8,256 posts, read 14,711,720 times
The alarm bells are ringing.

DO NOT PROCEED WITH THIS CONTRACTOR.

They might not be who they claim to be and may be unlicensed.

You should initiate contact, not them. Many scams work this way. Quite a few take the deposit and run.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
WDJ

269 posts, read 346,397 times
I can't really answer too much on how the contracting business works out here, but in terms of searching for contractors, I've found this forum to be helpful as well as asking my neighborhood email distro. My neighborhood association also had a list of recommended contractors with comments from people.

That response does sound somewhat fishy to me, especially the price jacking part. Usually, I like to get quotes from 3-4 contractors, and sometimes they'll lower their quotes a little bit to compete with each other.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM

10,185 posts, read 16,500,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

You should initiate contact, not them. Many scams work this way. Quite a few take the deposit and run.
I agree. Too many red flags.

Putting down hardwoods is an art...you want someone who is knowledgable and who can show you his work through a website or give you references that you can actually speak with.

Vicki

Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,304,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I agree. Too many red flags.

Putting down hardwoods is an art...you want someone who is knowledgable and who can show you his work through a website or give you references that you can actually speak with.

Vicki
Ditto and Ditto.

Not too many guys specializing in gutter cleaning moonlight as hardwood floor installers.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 AM

3,478 posts, read 5,506,373 times
RUN...ok well, it is your own house, SLAM THE DOOR! There are plenty of reputable contractors recommended here on this forum. IMO, skip the gutter guards anyway. You can pay someone to clean them for about 10 years at that price.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 AM

19 posts, read 18,018 times
Agreed, red flags everywhere.

I have read during my house hunting research that sometimes contractors will attempt to get money from you by claiming that the previous owner owed them for work done to the property. Did you purchase any kind of insurance when you bought the property to protect against such a thing? I forget what it's called right off.

And seconded that you should be the one to initiate contact with a contractor and not vice versa.

My .02$

Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM

151 posts, read 254,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
We propose to remove existing carpet, lay vapor barrier, prep, and then install hardwood flooring in place of carpet. We will then sand and stain existing hardwood floor. Price will be at $9.50 per sq ft. Material is not included.
!

We're building a new house, and our flooring contractor installed standard oak hardwood floors with a design in our 'octagon' room for $4.80 per sq ft. and this included labor and materials. He's waay overpriced.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,725 posts, read 14,320,073 times
I NEVER give money or business to anybody who comes cold to my door----Except Girl Scouts selling cookies....

Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM

11,151 posts, read 8,921,563 times
Yes, ask for recommendations here, or check sites such as AngiesList. I'd be very wary of anyone who came to my door, unsolicited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary