Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times

Advertisements

We had a bridle trail running through our backyard. I'd never do that again. Horses, horse poop, etc.--even though they were a good 200-250 feet away.

On a related note, there is a brook path that runs through Wellesley MA that I run on frequently (no, I don't live in "Swellsley" but I live close enough to get to that path). Homes backing up to that brook path are very sought after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:16 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Man's body found in Columbia -- baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/howard/bal-md.ho.death28aug28,0,6334283,full.story - broken link)

This article provides a perspective on foot trails/paths etc. Unfortunately very timely with the OP.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Man's body found in Columbia -- baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/howard/bal-md.ho.death28aug28,0,6334283,full.story - broken link)

This article provides a perspective on foot trails/paths etc. Unfortunately very timely with the OP.
That isn't even in this state! Yes, some in some areas are not safe...but what about the one's hear? I hear minimal, if anything, on them.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
It isn't in the state but it is a suburban neighborhood path in a community highly rated like Cary. It is a PERSPECTIVE and relevancy is in the mind of the reader.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I wouldn't give much thought to the crime that "could" happen.

For that matter, being at the mall isn't safe either. All those teenage thugs and all! (wink wink).

I think there are going to be alot of folks that like the idea of a greenway behind the house and maybe a few that won't like it.

I'd suggest planting the hedge as soon as you can so it blocks the VIEW.

As far as price...it won't add to the value of the house or take away from it.

Vicki

Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridilli View Post
The backyard of the house is 42 feet deep and after that there is 6 ft buffer. so in all 48 ft of distance from the edge of the house. How big was the yard that you saw.
I can't remember exactly, but it was probably around 50 feet. Note that there were lots of things about this house that we really liked, but the close walking trail compounded by the fact that it was on a corner lot made it far less attractive to us. We're pretty quiet people so we like having a quieter, more secluded home.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
As far as price...it won't add to the value of the house or take away from it.

Vicki
Which I believe was one of the original questions posted by the OP. In addition to that, personal preference was requested. Personally, any public open trail that close to my backyard would not be for me...I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it. Others may see it as an added bonus to the purchasing of their new home. No right or wrong answers here friends, just opinions...

Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I wouldn't give much thought to the crime that "could" happen.
Why not?

Of course crimes can occur anywhere, but IMO you are foolish not to pay attention to statistics. If I were considering a home on some of the Greenways, I'd at least do some due diligence. There are probably some problem areas out there that you might want to avoid. OTOH, there are probably some areas where the Greenway adds to your value and enjoyment.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
When we moved here I lived in the Oxxford Hunt neighborhood very close to the Greenway. This neighborhood had trails of it's own that connected to the Greenway. At first I never used the paths because they gave me the creeps, but I finally went to check the Greenway out & fell in love with it. I could walk to the neighborhood pool & playground as well as walk to Bond Park on the trail. It was awesome & I never felt unsafe. The Greenway was used by other moms like me & runners and walkers.

As far as having a trail in my backyard tho.... I think that would bother me unless there was a fence and some privacy shrubbery planted.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Why not?

Of course crimes can occur anywhere, but IMO you are foolish not to pay attention to statistics. If I were considering a home on some of the Greenways, I'd at least do some due diligence. There are probably some problem areas out there that you might want to avoid. OTOH, there are probably some areas where the Greenway adds to your value and enjoyment.
My point is that you SHOULD be aware of everything that goes on around you but you can't always be thinking "what if". There is always a positive way and a negative way. See? Something for everyone! Sorry that I didn't explain that a bit more.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary