Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Oh come on, Saturnfan, lets take BETS!

I'll bet $1 that prices WILL INCREASE IN THIS AREA FOR 2007.

Who wants to put their money where their mouth is???

Vicki
Ok I say this with somewhat tongue in cheek. You need to read mulitple threads to appreciate this however. I agree that overall prices will increase except near major highways and neighborhood pathways. When it becomes a buyers market some will sell for more and some will sell for less. Some developers are now raising prices and some are cutting. Those cutting get the headlines. Those raising are getting the sales and can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
AP
Home Prices: Steepest Drop in 20 Years
Tuesday August 28, 9:58 am ET
By Vinnee Tong, AP Business Writer
S&P Says Housing Prices Fell in 2Q by Steepest Rate Since Its Index Was Started in 1987

NEW YORK (AP) -- U.S. home prices fell 3.2 percent in the second quarter, the steepest rate of decline since Standard & Poor's began its nationwide housing index in 1987, the research group said Tuesday.
Detroit led the cities with the biggest price declines, with an 11 percent drop from June of last year. Other cities with falling prices included Tampa, Fla., San Diego and Washington, D.C., which all recorded drops of at least 7 percent.

Seattle and Charlotte, N.C., were on the small list of cities that saw prices rise in the same period. Seattle prices rose 8 percent in June while Charlotte saw a 6.8 percent increase.

Just thought you'd want to know!

Vicki

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Quote:
AP
Home Prices: Steepest Drop in 20 Years
Tuesday August 28, 9:58 am ET
By Vinnee Tong, AP Business Writer
S&P Says Housing Prices Fell in 2Q by Steepest Rate Since Its Index Was Started in 1987

NEW YORK (AP) -- U.S. home prices fell 3.2 percent in the second quarter, the steepest rate of decline since Standard & Poor's began its nationwide housing index in 1987, the research group said Tuesday.
Detroit led the cities with the biggest price declines, with an 11 percent drop from June of last year. Other cities with falling prices included Tampa, Fla., San Diego and Washington, D.C., which all recorded drops of at least 7 percent.

Seattle and Charlotte, N.C., were on the small list of cities that saw prices rise in the same period. Seattle prices rose 8 percent in June while Charlotte saw a 6.8 percent increase.

Just thought you'd want to know!

Vicki
Man o' man, how many times can I kick myself for selling our 3 bedroom little ranch house in West Seattle (WITH a view of Puget Sound) for double what we paid for it 5 years previous. We sold it in 1994 to buy a house in NoVA.

(expletive deleted here)

Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Guys, you can chatter on all you like. Honestly, I was just suggesting that we try to remain helpful for Jackie's sake. I don't want her concerns to get lost & dismissed, ya know?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,637 times
Thanks MrsSteel!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Yes, she should visit at rush hour and at night to evaluate the situation.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 AM

214 posts, read 663,863 times
Obviously, I'd rather live in a subdivision with no major highway out back. But if my choice was I40 in the back with a tree barrier and a driveway leading to busy 2 lane road in the front yard, I'd choose the interstate.

The noise and lights from the interestate are just annoying, but pulling out of a driveway onto a busy road such as Amelia Church can be dangerous.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Oh yeah.

One guy at work lost his son. The son & wife were backing out of a driveway onto a two lane road with a ridiculously high 55mph speed limit.

They were splattered.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:15 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
We looked at a similar place. 2 acres, chapel hill school district, just off whitfield road. Beautiful house, and was listed for 450K (maybe 100K cheaper than you'd expect). House at the top of a hill, and the amount of noise from the highway increased as you climbed the driveway. Turns out they built about 4 years before 40 went through, and it was about a hundred feet off the back of the house. Deal killer for us (that plus it would have been an enormous stretch for our budget), and the house sat on the market for nearly a year, finally sold for 380K.

Like others have said, its priced low for a reason, and you can expect going through hell when you try to sell it.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
Quote:
Oh come on, Saturnfan, lets take BETS!

I'll bet $1 that prices WILL INCREASE IN THIS AREA FOR 2007.

Who wants to put their money where their mouth is???

Vicki
I'd take that bet! But unfortunately, I've got a mortgage to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary