Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
What??? Cary isn't like France? Who knew. You need to visit Carrboro - called by some "the Paris of the Piedmont."
Clearly that was designated by someone who has never been to Paris.....well, maybe Paris, Texas. Certainly not Paris, France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
It is easy to overlook small examples of great beauty if one only seeks majestic vistas.
Kind of like swinging for the fences in every at bat, when a bunt or a single can be a game winner.

I like finding vignettes of beauty around the area, and they are plentiful.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,341,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Cary has a lot of:

- trees; most people like trees
- relatively new homes that look alike; some people like new homes that look alike.
- people who are similar; some people like that.
- relatively new landscaping throughout its roadways, which is nice.

People often move here from:

- places where trees are not so plentiful
- where there are a lot of old homes and little new construction (especially from the Northeast)
- very cold, snowy, rainy places.
- places that are not the least bit scenic and are downright ugly.

Cary is not scenic, but it is prettier than many places. Add less-expensive real estate compared to NY and California, and in the past plentiful jobs -- that's why it became such a mecca. (Your question was "What's the attraction?" and I think that is [or was] the attraction.)

Southern culture is such that complaining is highly frowned upon. So no native will ever admit that this is not the finest place in the world to live. (Including my husband. )

I used to be perturbed when I asked people why this is such a heralded place to live, and they'd always respond, "Because it's two hours from the ocean and four hours from the mountains!" I always thought it strange that the best thing about the place included getting far, far, away from it.

I grew up 10 minutes from a sand beach of one of the Great Lakes, where there was an antique carousel, wonderful custard ice cream cones, a pier to walk on so you could see all the boats coming down the river and into the lake. My elementary school and church overlooked the river, and it was next door to a beautiful stone lighthouse that was built in 1822. Sometimes we had Girl Scout meetings there because one of the Girl Scouts lived there; her father was in the Coast Guard. It's now considered a historic place.

I'd go skiing on weeknights in the winter -- mountains big enough to ski on were only 45 minutes away. The area was also known for its wineries, and we'd enjoy them in the summer and fall. The Finger Lakes area is truly gorgeous.

But no one ever heralded those things. They just were there to enjoy. No one ever seemed to brag about them.

So it was strange to move here, to this landlocked place, and hear repeatedly it was so great because you had to travel only two hours to water and four hours to see mountains.

The only thing to do is to budget for travel every year, at least, to see the scenic places of the world that you most enjoy.
My corporate office is in Watertown. Its funny b/c traveling there I find nothing pretty about it, but go out a bit, and wow...its gorgeous. Same can be said for pretty much anywhere. The truth of the matter is this...if there is an actual population where you reside, its probably not "one of the most beautiful places on earth". To make an area able to house a true population, infrastructure has to be built. Last time I looked, infrastructure detracts from natural beauty, surely doesn't add to it. Houses are a necessity, and more of them if the place is hot and in demand. That's just life. There are only a few states that house large populations in the midst of striking natural beauty. So, unless you have a job in Boulder, CO, Red Rock, AZ, Malibu to San Diego, CA (and only near the coast b/c the rest of it is flat and hideous), Anchorage, AK, Upper Main, Chattanooga, TN, etc...no one is going to exclaim about the unreal natural beauty of where they live. There are always beautiful things, and that is what people love, but eventually take for granted. All in all, I'll take the rolling hills, and plentiful trees in Raleigh. I've lived in 5 states in my adult life, and hills, trees, and accessibility beats even living near the beach. "NEAR" or "AROUND THE CORNER" from the beach is still not on it, and you certainly don't see it. Living in FL, I'll say, its ugmo. Sure, drive out of your "subdivision", past a couple of landscaped palms, 7 homeless people, 4 stray dogs, a trailer park, and a couple strip malls, and then you get to start seeing the beach. Some people move here, and love that. To me, eh.... I'd rather have fall colored leaves, some hills, some nice neighbors, good family stuff, strong schools, a slight change of season, diversity, and a gorgeous beach in a 2 hour drive any day of the week. There will always be those who don't like an area, and that is the wonderful thing about the US...its big enough for all to find their niche.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Clearly that was designated by someone who has never been to Paris.....well, maybe Paris, Texas. Certainly not Paris, France.
It's a bit of a old joke. Wikipedia tells the story:
Quote:
Carrboro's nickname, "The Paris of the Piedmont," stems from a sarcastic comment by John Martin, a reporter for the now-defunct Chapel Hill Weekly. In 1970, Nyle Frank, now a musician but then a graduate student in political science at the nearby University of North Carolina, organized an alternative "Invisible University," and announced plans to have himself crowned as the institution's new "King" in Carrboro. Martin commented, "I can see it now – The Paris of the Piedmont."

Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,140 times
I will be referring to Raleigh, but here's the attraction I find to this area in general...

I love the mix of big box and local stores.
I love the tulip magnolia trees that bloom EVERYwhere in the spring.
Moving from somewhere with mostly coniferous trees, I think the beauty of fall here is stunning.
I love the history and beauty of many of the homes here like the ones on St. Marys, Glenwood, Anderson, etc.
I love the greenways.
I love the beauty of the local, fresh veggies at the farmers' market.
I love the mild weather.
I love the closeness to some other cities (DC, Atlanta, Charlotte), to the beach, and to the mountains.
I love that we have the whole Triangle to explore, not just the city we live in.

Of course it's not the most beautiful place on Earth... but most places aren't. If you don't want to see the beauty/attraction, you won't see it. If you do, you will.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I will be referring to Raleigh, but here's the attraction I find to this area in general...

I love the mix of big box and local stores.
I love the tulip magnolia trees that bloom EVERYwhere in the spring.
Moving from somewhere with mostly coniferous trees, I think the beauty of fall here is stunning.
I love the history and beauty of many of the homes here like the ones on St. Marys, Glenwood, Anderson, etc.
I love the greenways.
I love the mild weather.
I love the closeness to some other cities (DC, Atlanta, Charlotte), to the beach, and to the mountains.
I love that we have the whole Triangle to explore, not just the city we live in.

Of course it's not the most beautiful place on Earth... but most places aren't. If you don't want to see the beauty/attraction, you won't see it. If you do, you will.

True of most places on Earth.

Great post!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:59 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinegoodwin View Post
I am amazed by reading every day about how wonderful Cary is .
I live in Cary since 2007 because i have to ( my husband is not retired yet and have kids to take care of ) but i see no beauty or charm around here . Cary is not a cute town but a group of subdivisions who seem to pop up like mushrooms .The summers are like hell with the heat , humidity and mosquitoes and are confined inside with the AC on . The best parts of North Carolina are in the mountains . We have a cabin in Todd , on he New River . It is close to Boone and to me that is a lovely area to settled in . We both love it .It is quiet , relaxing , has very good weather and you can enjoy the outdoors .
I am from Nice , France , my husband is from San Diego , CA and here you talk about beautiful part of the world . But Cary , sorry is not one of the places you want to see before you die. So move here if you find a highly paid job that you cannot get anywhere else in America . That is the only reason to make the move to this area in my opinion .If there is scenic places in this area , i will be happy to know where they are located ?
I hear Utopia isn't all it's cracked up to be, either.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Funny you mentioned the beauty of the veggies at the farmer's market! I made a video of pics I took there last week. My husband looked at my first draft and said I had too many pics of vegetables in it! So I took some out. I especially love the photos of the sun on the veggies.

So I posted the video in another thread: Video: Raleigh Farmers Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post

(snip)
(snip)

Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 AM

7 posts, read 7,456 times
I moved here from Austin, Tx. for a J O B plain and simple. What I did not expect is that I would find the area so beautiful the climate so mild and area so easy to get around it (except over by the mall in Raleigh). Everyone I tell I am from Austin is shocked that I left there because everyone thinks it is such a great place. I can honestly tell you I would much rather live here than there any day. Every place has it pros and cons. Personally I think this area is little discovered gem. I hope a lot of people don't find out about it or else it will be come a crowded mess just like Austin has become. About the hot thing you have not seen HOT until you've been to Texas in August it doesn't even come close here.

Always remember life is what YOU make it, bloom where you are planted!

Have a good day.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:53 AM

634 posts, read 912,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal06 View Post
Personally I think this area is little discovered gem. I hope a lot of people don't find out about it or else it will be come a crowded mess ...
Too late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary