Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 AM

310 posts, read 575,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I moved here from Austin, Tx. for a J O B plain and simple. What I did not expect is that I would find the area so beautiful the climate so mild and area so easy to get around it (except over by the mall in Raleigh). Everyone I tell I am from Austin is shocked that I left there because everyone thinks it is such a great place. I can honestly tell you I would much rather live here than there any day. Every place has it pros and cons. Personally I think this area is little discovered gem. I hope a lot of people don't find out about it or else it will be come a crowded mess just like Austin has become. About the hot thing you have not seen HOT until you've been to Texas in August it doesn't even come close here.
Except for the 1st sentence this could have been written by me. I moved here because I wanted out of Austin and was lucky enough to get someone here to hire me. I wouldn't call this area undiscovered (I think that's what you meant), but I am amazed at how easy it is to get around given that the metro area is about the same population as Austin.

I think people anywhere don't really appreciate the local geography on a daily basis. My wife lived on Grand Cayman for 15+ years and people are amazed that she would leave there, but when you are working full time and raising children you don't have the same perspective as someone who is there for a week of scuba diving. I'm sure there are people in Nice and San Diego who are miserable even though they may be surrounded by natural beauty and ideal climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 AM

109 posts, read 169,239 times
I can't speak too specifically about Cary ... and I'll admit that there are aspects of this area from a natural beauty perspective I don't love.

Grew up in the mountains ... breathtaking sometimes. Those incredible moments when the fog rolled up just at sunset, bathing the vista in purples and pinks. The perfect, cheerful, glistening grass of a mountain meadow filled with daisies and wild strawberries. The first snows and frosts, leaving trees stunning in their majesty.

However ... I also remember taking the back ways through Asheville, going through the industrial zones. They were ugly. There are ugly, barely functioning shacks and trailers dotting all of the mountains. There was the sadness of the kids who didn't get enough to eat in my schools.

I don't think you see so much of that in Cary.

If you need a little beauty, check out Duke Gardens when the roses are blazing or the dogwoods are singing ... or head out into the forest on a walking trail, wade through a stream on one of those hot days and breathe in the green. Watch the sun on the water. Take a walk in an old tree neighborhood or park in the fall as you are buffeted with leaves. Find some homes cheerfully decorated for the holidays to drive by. Search for small signs of spring ... daffodils, crocuses. Enjoy one of those nasty summer nights with friends on one of those bland featureless porches in a bland featureless yard. Enjoy the clank of the beer bottles, the flashing teeth in smiles, laughter, stars in the sky. And ignore the mosquitos.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
While not in Cary, this place can be found less than an hour away:

Old 11-26-2011, 12:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Nice pic. Where is that?

Old 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Nice pic. Where is that?
Rhodes Pond Fish Camp - Dunn, NC

I definitely want to go back in the spring, hopefully when the water is a little higher so we can explore a bit more.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:20 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,344 times
Can't (won't) speak for Cary, but we moved to Raleigh from Buffalo because of high taxes, perpetually crappy weather and tired of living in a dying city. Also, this area reminds us of Western PA, where we grew up. It helps that the beach and the mountains are close.

Been here two years...love it.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal06 View Post
Personally I think this area is little discovered gem. I hope a lot of people don't find out about it or else it will be come a crowded mess just like Austin has become.
Wow, you're wayyyyyyy too late for that! Did you know the Raleigh-Cary area was the #1 MSA (over 100,000) in population growth from 2000-2010 [tied with Las Vegas], increasing by 42%? Not #3, not #4, bit tied for #1. What exactly is your definition of "little-discovered"?????

Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Yeah, it was REALLY a gem before y'all moved here!

Just kidding. I got here in 1993, though, and I'm always amazed at the growth, especially in those areas that used to be woods and/or "country" that are long gone -- and they are well within the Raleigh city limits. I guess one could call them scenic...now just a memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Wow, you're wayyyyyyy too late for that! Did you know the Raleigh-Cary area was the #1 MSA (over 100,000) in population growth from 2000-2010 [tied with Las Vegas], increasing by 42%? Not #3, not #4, bit tied for #1. What exactly is your definition of "little-discovered"?????

Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM

634 posts, read 913,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I got here in 1993 ...
Raise your hand if you're already considering where to move next.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
The original question : what is the attraction of Cary and/or the Triangle?

The answer: QUALITY OF LIFE.

It is that simple.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary