Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM

81 posts, read 137,981 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I've searched the forum for speeding ticket related info. I got a speeding ticket on 15-501 in Chapel Hill. I believe I was trapped into it. I was driving along in the left lane, a few(about 5-6) over the limit of 45 and a black SUV was behind me, too close for comfort. I decided to change lanes by overtaking the two cars next to me which were at same speed. I accelerated to do that and the black SUV behind me went all flashing lights etc. It was a police car. I got a speeding ticket and when the officer was handing it to me,he agreed that since my record was clean and I was trying to get out of his way,he would write on his ticket that I was polite,cooperative and he himself said 9 times out of 10,the traffic court would reduce it. Here's my question..I read here that I would get mail galore from attorneys and now it's been two weeks and I havn't gotten a single attorney letter. My court date is next week. What should I do? Go and try to talk to the court person myself or get an attorney? I have the time but am nervous as I have never been to a court before and this is my FIRST speeding ticket EVER...Please DM me if you have any attorney recommendations and how much will the whole thing cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
I would just go to the courthouse myself and plea it down. I'm guessing your ticket was for 10 over?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:34 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
I'm thinking we need to ditch the Photo thread and, instead, have a speeding ticket sticky .....

Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM

81 posts, read 137,981 times
Yes, I was cited for 14 above the limit.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,529 times
If there is one thing worse than a speeder it's someone who camps in the left hand lane going the same speed as the right hand lane. You should have slowed and gotten in the right lane behind those already doing the speed limit or a few miles over. Another "they are picking on me" story

Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
There's nothing to be nervous about, but if you have the time I always recommend going to the court house on a day when you're not scheduled, just to make sure you know where to park, what room to go to, what the procedure is etc. And if you can go on the same day of the week that you're supposed to appear, because they do different things on different days.

Just be very aware that you'll be part of a big machine. No one will care about your story. You are not a unique snowflake (as far as traffic court is concerned!). You're just an annoyance that they want to get some money from.

I've been to both Raleigh and Durham's traffic courts, and the first thing you'll do is meet with an assistant DA when you check in. The fact that you're there indicates to them that you're looking to make a deal, otherwise you'd have just paid the ticket.

They don't want to go to trial any more than you do. They'd much rather get some money from you now. You've got an otherwise clean record, the officer's notes will say "cooperative" so I think you're in a good place. Be aware though that any deal they make will still have you pleading guilty to something and you're going to have to pay a fine and "court costs" which are usually just south of a c-note.

I'm much more in favor of pressing my luck. Not guilty. Make 'em prove it. The way I look at it, if I win, I pay nothing, and if I lose, I'm in the same boat as if I just paid the ticket, so why not? Of course if you're worried about your insurance rates, and they offer a non-moving violation, it would probably be worth considering.

Speaking of the officer's notes, you have a right to see them. Send a certified letter with pre-paid envelope to the clerk of court asking for the officer's notes for your citation number. It's unlikely they'll be of any real use, but if they don't send them to you, it could be grounds for dismissal or a continuance depending upon the mood of the judge.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 AM

234 posts, read 822,737 times
Like what has already been said, they have already heard every excuse in the book. Please dont think you are going to walk in there and get any sympathy from anyone. You are waisting your time explaining your story. Dont risk it, just find yourself a laywer and be done with it. The lawyer will have the needed experience to know what to do to get the ticket reduced or dropped.

John

Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post
Like what has already been said, they have already heard every excuse in the book. Please dont think you are going to walk in there and get any sympathy from anyone. You are waisting your time explaining your story. Dont risk it, just find yourself a laywer and be done with it. The lawyer will have the needed experience to know what to do to get the ticket reduced or dropped.

John
I'm not sure why you would waste your money on a lawyer for a ticket like this. When I got a ticket for going 55 in a 45, all I had to do was show up, ask for a reduction due to my clean record, and I got it. My insurance rates luckily weren't even affected. All they really want out of you is the money. No sense wasting even more money on a lawyer.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I'm not sure why you would waste your money on a lawyer for a ticket like this. When I got a ticket for going 55 in a 45, all I had to do was show up, ask for a reduction due to my clean record, and I got it. My insurance rates luckily weren't even affected. All they really want out of you is the money. No sense wasting even more money on a lawyer.
I completely agree, but that assumes you're able to take the time off from work, go to the courthouse, find parking, go through the security charade (All belts must be completely removed before entering the Durham courthouse now - I feel safer already) and talk to the ADA.

I don't know what the going rate is to have yourself represented by a member of the bar, but some might consider it a worthwhile trade off.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 AM

234 posts, read 822,737 times
The reason I am saying to higher a lawyer is because you have one shot to get this right. If you go to the courthouse and someone is having a bad day or is just sick of hearing excuses you may not get your ticket reduced and you will be screwed. The Lawyer on the other hand has likely delt with the issue many times and will know the court staff and knows how the system works. In the end it is up to the OP what he/she may do. I still would pony up for a Lawyer.

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary