Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times

Advertisements

The big problem is that Dr. Burns isn't funded for the inflow of students.

Some very hefty impact fees on new construction might get the money up front without wasting it on bond service interest.

The "pond scum" developers save enough on their undocumented immigrant labor to be able to absorb these fees and not even pass them to the buyers.

Too much political garbage going on favoring developers.

Have you heard that Kane Realty wants Raleigh to borrow $75 million so they can build a parking deck for the second phase of yuppie heaven at North Hills? Now, if he was building affordable housing, it would be another story.

The unmitigated gall of these folks is downright disgusting.

Dr. Del Burns is a great leader of WCPSS and I've personally experienced his dedication and caring. Let's place the blame where it belongs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOKINGTOMOVENEXTSUMMER View Post
Thanks For The Response. Does Noone Have A Problem With Thier Kids Going To School In Trailers? Guess Moving To Cary Is Out!
Not to sound defensive but what is the problem with trailers?? They are clean, a/c'd, heated.
I guess coming from CA, and having my children in trailers for school was normal to us, as was 40 children per class. In Cary I heard on the news they are still trying to keep the elementary children at 22 children per class. That sounds like heaven to me.

Don't worry so much about the trailers, worry about how many children per teacher, in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Ratio is important, I agree, but the trailers are a symptom of poor response to expansion of the student body.

If the need was known to be a year or so, fine. However, I've seen these portables around for many years at some schools.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Vicki,

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and smells like a duck, it IS a duck.

These "modular classrooms" are pieces of cheap junk compared to a regular classroom attached to the school facilities.

It's not the walk. Exercise is great. It's the crappy temporary feel of these shacks.

We're still friends, right?
Saturnfan;
Have you ever been inside the modular trailers?? Just curious because you have been married 37 years, so I cannot imagine you or your children were ever in them, but I really believe I would embrace trailers, over getting rid of music and arts, as they have in CA, CA ran out of money, so there are no special classes, like art, music, anything like that. Including, all supplies are supplied by the parents, CA does not pick up the cost for that kind of thing.
I really think trailers are fine compared to that.
Liz

Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I don't think anyone thinks that Del Burns himself is the problem. It's a combination of many factors.

For the life of me, I can't figure out WHY the school system did not re-open applications for YR registration after the YR lawsuit verdict. I personally know of MANY people who applied for YR and DID NOT GET IN who would have jumped at another opportunity to transfer out of traditional.

With so many YR scools being drastically underenrolled and traditional schools being over enrolled, why did they not consider this option? Sure, it may not have solved the entire problem, but it certainly could have helped certain schools at least in the short term.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Do you remember which school it was in Cary? The video I saw yesterday was Forest Pines and North Forest Pines Elementary which are in Raleigh.
Nope sorry, It was about 2 seconds worth, and said Cary in the bottom. I could be wrong friend, but remember I was taken back because it said Cary.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Ratio is important, I agree, but the trailers are a symptom of poor response to expansion of the student body.

If the need was known to be a year or so, fine. However, I've seen these portables around for many years at some schools.
It all comes down to economics, honestly.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Saturn, another factor is that some of these schools are OLD. They were built WAY before massive growth hit this area. Some of them were built 20- 30 years ago (or more). Those people are long gone and the campuses cannot be expanded. The schools today are being built with growth in mind, but no one 30 years ago could have foreseen what is happening today.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I don't think anyone thinks that Del Burns himself is the problem. It's a combination of many factors.

For the life of me, I can't figure out WHY the school system did not re-open applications for YR registration after the YR lawsuit verdict. I personally know of MANY people who applied for YR and DID NOT GET IN who would have jumped at another opportunity to transfer out of traditional.

With so many YR scools being drastically underenrolled and traditional schools being over enrolled, why did they not consider this option? Sure, it may not have solved the entire problem, but it certainly could have helped certain schools at least in the short term.
Yup, they should have put it back on the table,

Old 08-28-2007, 11:49 AM

I've been in these portables since my son only graduated from Millbrook HS in 2000.

They were flimsy and I hoped that they were safe in case of fire.

With the power of eminent domain, school expansion could be achieved even if more land were required. Also, expansion upward by adding floors could increase capacity while keeping the same footprint.

Just when Dr. Burns thought year-round might answer part of the problem, a judge got involved messing everything up at the last minute.

The real answer is to throttle back the building permits to allow schools, roads, and water supply to catch up.

Don't hold your breath that reason will overcome greed in this, however.

As you may see, I'm a big supporter of WCPSS. My son and daughter were well prepared for higher education by their time in wake County schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary