Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,456 times

Advertisements

The tavern downstairs has a casual yet upscale atmosphere. The cheese plate is very good. They know their wines there so you should ask for suggestions. We love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,388 times
If your budget allows for a splurge, consider doing the chef's table at Second Empire - it's a lot of fun! Your group is seated in the middle of the kitchen and you get to watch all the action up close or on TV screens they have to show you the line. You get a personalized menu for the group (they ask if there are any dietary restrictions, etc) and can do a wine pairing if you choose. You get served by the chef and other waiters. They encourage you to get up and observe in the kitchen and talk to the chefs/cooks. Everyone is really friendly! I believe it's $100/person for a 4 course meal and $130 if you do a wine pairing. It's really a lot of fun! Call Tracy in Special Events to reserve.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 AM

285 posts, read 836,285 times
Agree with sitting downstairs - we typically get a table in the "atrium" - downstairs but in the conservatory part...Get to see outside, but also offers both menus (from upstairs and downstairs)

Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
I'm always more comfortable dining in steerage...The Tavern

Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
If your budget allows for a splurge, consider doing the chef's table at Second Empire - it's a lot of fun! Your group is seated in the middle of the kitchen and you get to watch all the action up close or on TV screens they have to show you the line. You get a personalized menu for the group (they ask if there are any dietary restrictions, etc) and can do a wine pairing if you choose. You get served by the chef and other waiters. They encourage you to get up and observe in the kitchen and talk to the chefs/cooks. Everyone is really friendly! I believe it's $100/person for a 4 course meal and $130 if you do a wine pairing. It's really a lot of fun! Call Tracy in Special Events to reserve.
haha after working in restaurant kitchens for several years, this sounds awful to me. I guess I could see where people who haven't worked in a kitchen might get a kick out of it though.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,477 times
My suggestion is to take a pillowcase full of money.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM

13 posts, read 39,656 times
I highly recommend the creme brulee, it is absolutely incredible. As for the menu, I cannot remember what anyone at our table ate that night but, rest assured, there were no complaints about any of it.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,248 times
They have a chef's table that might be a blast to do with your group if you're interested. I have always wanted to do that, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

I have been both upstairs and down in the Tavern. The upstairs is quiet and formal. The food presentation is fabulous and unique, and of course, delicious.

The downstairs is noisier and more of a robust atmosphere. It's more casual, and less expensive (although still not cheap). If I was going to be with a large group, I would probably prefer downstairs unless they gave us a private room upstairs. The food is great, so you really can't go wrong.

For dessert in the Tavern, I would seriously consider the chocolate souffle It takes awhile, but is fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary