Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:04 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times

Advertisements

Every HOA has different rules. Please don't accept any advice from this site on this question when the time comes. You need to obtain the covenants, bylaws, and architectural guidelines for your community. Otherwise, you're just guessing. If having a rule or not having a rule is a make or break on a house decision, have your realtor get those documents for you before you make an offer, and you can usually get the community manager or board president to put something in writing for you. It's the only way to be sure before you close. And for pete's sake, never trust a sales agent in a new neighborhood. I work with HOAs and the sales agents tell everyone they can have anything they want so they can get the sale. Then the sale goes through and there I am pointing out that they can't park on the street, store their boat there, build a 6 foot tall fence, etc. etc. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Every HOA has different rules. Please don't accept any advice from this site on this question when the time comes. You need to obtain the covenants, bylaws, and architectural guidelines for your community. Otherwise, you're just guessing. If having a rule or not having a rule is a make or break on a house decision, have your realtor get those documents for you before you make an offer, and you can usually get the community manager or board president to put something in writing for you. It's the only way to be sure before you close. And for pete's sake, never trust a sales agent in a new neighborhood. I work with HOAs and the sales agents tell everyone they can have anything they want so they can get the sale. Then the sale goes through and there I am pointing out that they can't park on the street, store their boat there, build a 6 foot tall fence, etc. etc. Good luck!
Yes, I think everyone implied the advice above -- you must read the covenant yourself before considering a purchase.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM

28 posts, read 54,329 times
Geez, guys, this is so helpful! Still doing research and once one starts doing such research into HOA's, a slew of horror stories comes up. Now, what's the deal with that? Does anyone have any positive input about hoa's? What are your good stories?

Checking on the real estate outside of subdivisions, it seems like the options are very limited and the homes are quite a bit older and would need a total renovation. This doesn't seem too heartening.

Any input much appreciated.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Our HOA is fine. Only complaint I have about them is the governing board can be slow as molasses on approving architectural stuff. Actually the last thing we needed done to the house, we just ended up calling the managing company of the HOA instead and they approved what we needed done right away. Not sure we'll ever bother with the governing board again lol.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse01 View Post
Does anyone have any positive input about hoa's? What are your good stories?
"We have met the enemy, and they are ours."

In my Chapel Hill neighborhood, we have an HOA. It exists to manage the pool, clubhouse, playground, entrance, and stormwater facilities. When the developer built the neighborhood, they put in place a number of covenants. Per the terms of the covenants, the responsibility for enforcing the covenants was turned over to the HOA once the developer sold most of the lots.

The HOA is entirely a volunteer organization comprised of neighbors who live there. We manage our own affairs, with the help of a professional management company. Architectural control (a/k/a covenant enforcement) is about 5% of what the HOA and its Board does.

Most of that architectural control activity is reviewing applications for changes. Sometimes the applications result in a dialogue with the homeowner to shape the request so that it better fits with the neighborhood. Never has there simply been a "no, you can't do that."

Once in a while, one neighbor will complain about another. In those instances, the Board first asks the complainer "have you spoken to your neighbor?" They are encouraged to do so. Regardless, a Board member will usually speak with them to find out about the problem, communicate the concern - and 9 out of 10 times that's all it takes to fix things. Sometimes a little more is needed - we once had complaints about a homeowner's lawn that had gone to weed. Turned out he had been very sick. A group of neighbors pitched in to fix up his yard.

Those are the "horrors" of an HOA. People living together and treating each other like neighbors. Communication and respect go a long way.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Well, today's news showed a different story about an HOA in PA.

Seems their rules specify only white, non-blinking holiday lights. They are fining violators daily and will not negotiate.

All depends on who's running the show.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Well, today's news showed a different story about an HOA in PA.

Seems their rules specify only white, non-blinking holiday lights. They are fining violators daily and will not negotiate.

All depends on who's running the show.
My whole thing with that is you have the ability to read the covenants before you purchase a property. If you don't agree with the rules, don't buy a property in that neighborhood. If for some reason you foolishly do buy a property in that neighborhood despite disagreeing with the rules, and enough of your neighbors also disagree with the offending rule, then you hold a vote at the next meeting to have the rule changed or thrown out.

You better believe when we bought our house I went through those covenants with a fine-toothed comb. There were some things here and there that I didn't agree with but they weren't deal breakers for me. But I also fully expect if I decided to flaunt the rules I don't agree with that the HOA would fine me. If you don't like a committee having any say on the way you maintain your property, it's best to either avoid a neighborhood with a HOA in place or find one with little to no covenants.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:16 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse01 View Post
Geez, guys, this is so helpful! Still doing research and once one starts doing such research into HOA's, a slew of horror stories comes up. Now, what's the deal with that? Does anyone have any positive input about hoa's? What are your good stories?

Checking on the real estate outside of subdivisions, it seems like the options are very limited and the homes are quite a bit older and would need a total renovation. This doesn't seem too heartening.

Any input much appreciated.
People that have a complaint are much more likely to write about it than those that have no complaints. I've lived in my n'hood for over 20 years and we have a HOA. I have no complaints.

The only time I've dealt with them was when I painted my home and the architectural committee had to approve the color. According to MY covenants, they had 30 days to approve or we were to continue with our plans.

I make sure all my clients have a copy of the covenants BEFORE we write up the offer, especially if there is something they are adament about. For example, most covenants dictate the type of fence you can have so if you are planning on putting up an 8 ft. privacy fence, you need to know that the HOA won't allow it nor will the city of Raleigh. I believe they have a 6 ft. limit.

The rules of the n'hood are called covenants. The rules of the city/county are called laws. They are everywhere!

Most of the n'hood rules aren't difficult to follow. In the end, it keeps the value in the n'hood. I really don't want clotheslines in my neigbor's yard!!!

Vicki

Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
We haven't had any issues with our HOA....we took down a whole mess of trees and put in a patio this past summer and the people on our board actually gave us some tips to get it passed.

I'm sure there are always dustups. Ours seems pretty lenient. Of course there is always the possibility of it becoming a nightmare if certain personalities get invoved, but our covenants are not terribly restrictive and we actively sought the type of restrictions that are in place. They closely mirror the type of laws that existed in the village we lived in, in NY....and we chose that village for the same reasons.

Again, read the covenants and overall, there should not be many surprises. As far as horror stories, in any scenario, the complaints will almost always be louder than anything else, and why would any one start a thread waxing poetic about their HOA, anyway? If people are happy it means they read the covenants before buying and are happy with what might happen.

Our neighborhood encourages people to go all-out decorating for Christmas and we have a contest to see who can get up the most/biggest display.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,219 times
Everyone is saying to "read the covenants". That is however not enough. It is the covenants that create and give power to the HOA, but usually the HOA has quite a bit of latitude in establishing the rules. You also have to read the bylaws of the association and have to be aware that they can be changed, often by as little as a simple majority vote. Since in any subdivision there are usually more than just a few sheeple, it is all too easy for a group of busybodies to take over and make your life a living hell. Eternal vigilance is the price of living in an HOA community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary