Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM

258 posts, read 672,980 times

Advertisements

I thought that might grab your attention lol.

Anyway, I own a conversion van. It has the high top roof and up front there used to be a tv antenna, one of those boomerangs you see on the back of limousines.

Well suffice to say after an encounter with the basketball net hanging over my shop there is no longer a boomerang up there. Since there is no VHF/UHF signals anymore it was pretty worthless anyway. However the base is still connected to the vans roof and pulling it off would leave a hole I don't want. I decided I would just mount something else up there.

After discussing it with the family it was decided either a little space shuttle, or Godzilla. I have searched in vain for something at wal-mart, target, dollar tree, etc. no luck.

I was looking for a space shuttle type cheap toy, or Godzilla, that would fit on a 3x3 inch square base.

Any suggestions would be helpful....or if you can think of something better to throw up there that's cool too.

I was looking for suggestions to buy a shuttle for around $10 or so....then wire up some lights to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Are you looking for something like this? Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Yes, but I saw that one at michaels craft store and it's too small...I need one at least a foot long. This one was like 7 inches, too tiny

Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
I've seen larger model kits of the space shuttle at some of the hobby stores around town, but I honestly don't know how well a model would hold up to flying down the highway lol.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,362 times
Nothing you can buy for $10 is going to stay on top of your van. Just remove the mount and cover the hole with a small circular piece of steel with a bead of silicone on it and attach with JB Weld. Paint to match and you are done. If you really want a space shuttle you'll have to build one out of wood or metal and it will likely be too heavy for the support. A car stereo shop may have something to go over the hole.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Nothing you can buy for $10 is going to stay on top of your van. Just remove the mount and cover the hole with a small circular piece of steel with a bead of silicone on it and attach with JB Weld. Paint to match and you are done. If you really want a space shuttle you'll have to build one out of wood or metal and it will likely be too heavy for the support. A car stereo shop may have something to go over the hole.
I know, I know...

But Godzilla would be so much cooler

But thanks for the suggestions, keep me coming

Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,091 times
Duct tape.

Done.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:05 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,110 times
A plastic one just wouldn't hold up. Would need a die cast metal one and a large one would be much more than $10. You could search on Ebay.

Also, VHF/UHF signals are still there, they are just digital now. With a digital tv or converter they would be as useful as it was with the old analog tv's which means it is not very useful on the road.

You might search Ebay for a shark fin antenna. They even have dummy ones for well under $10. May even find one of those locally. Maybe at the flea market on Capital Blvd.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,412 times
Wonder if the science museum or the planetarium in CH might have something....less confident on the science museum, they don't seem too into space exploration....good luck!!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,282 times
This should do the trick: AMERICAN PLASTICS CORP PPC 1 72 SCALE SPACE SHUTTLE DISCOVERY! NEAR MINT!! L@@K! | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-PLASTICS-CORP-PPC-1-72-SCALE-SPACE-SHUTTLE-DISCOVERY-NEAR-MINT-L-K-/110791578596?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item19cbb153 e4 - broken link)

If you need to rigidize it, just fill it with Great Stuff foam and you're good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary