Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,251 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking on this board and have found quite a bit of helpful information, but wanted to post my own to get more personalized info.

We currently live in Jacksonville, NC, because my husband is a Marine that is stationed at Camp Lejeune. He's being medically retired in the next few months from combat injuries when he was in Afghanistan and we are looking to relocate around the Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh area.

We're both 26 years old and have a 3 year old son. He will be starting preschool next fall and we would like to send him to a Catholic school.

We have 2 horses so we are looking for somewhere that is convenient to a boarding facility.

My husband will be starting school at UNC Chapel Hill in the fall of 2012 (or spring 2013, depending on when he's retired) so we will need somewhere convenient to the university.

I currently work as the director of operations for a non-profit. I have my BSBA in Management and am not positive I want to stay in the non-profit sector. I am thinking downtown Raleigh would be a good bet for a business position, but wanted to get opinions.

We want to rent for at least a year, until we get to know the area a bit better, but wanted some opinions on where to start looking. We'll be taking weekend trips over there but Raleigh alone is so sprawling, we don't even know where to start!

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 AM

166 posts, read 304,475 times
First of all, thank you for your sacrifices and your husband's service for all of us. Military families give up a lot and we often forget that.
Regarding your question- and this is a little out of the box, but wanted to throw it to you anyway- in Durham there are a few areas that have horse communities and that may help you out. I don't know the names, but the two I'm familiar with are in the north county, north of Latta Road/Infinity Road. One is off of Hwy 501 (Roxboro Rd) about 10 minutes north of that intersection and the other is off of Old Factory Road, near Stagville.
Durham isn't that far from CH, and I think that your employment ops will be about the same either place.
We ventured into Hillsborough yesterday afternoon and saw a number of homes with horses and sizeable properties, so that is another area that might work for you. It may be more convenient for CH.
I don't know if there is a Catholic school in Durham- I don't think so, but I think there is in Chapel Hill.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:46 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Chapel Hill to Raleigh can be quite a commute.

I'd suggest looking for a job in Chapel Hill, Research Triangle Park, Durham, Cary, or Morrisville, and then Raleigh. The closer to where you can have horses and Chapel Hill the better.

But where you work will be a big factor in determining the best place for you to live. Chapel Hill is a smaller town, so your employment opportunities there aren't necessarily the same as they would be in Durham. It all depends on your background, what you're looking for, and what is available in your field.

Quote:
My husband will be starting school at UNC Chapel Hill in the fall of 2012 (or spring 2013, depending on when he's retired) so we will need somewhere convenient to the university.

I currently work as the director of operations for a non-profit. I have my BSBA in Management and am not positive I want to stay in the non-profit sector. I am thinking downtown Raleigh would be a good bet for a business position, but wanted to get opinions.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
One is off of Hwy 501 (Roxboro Rd) about 10 minutes north of that intersection and the other is off of Old Factory Road, near Stagville.
Durham isn't that far from CH, and I think that your employment ops will be about the same either place.
We ventured into Hillsborough yesterday afternoon and saw a number of homes with horses and sizeable properties, so that is another area that might work for you. It may be more convenient for CH.
I don't know if there is a Catholic school in Durham- I don't think so, but I think there is in Chapel Hill.
I think that the boarding facility you are referring to on Old Oxford is Fairntosh Farm. Sorry, I don't know the other one.

Fairntosh Farm

There is actually a K-8 Catholic School near downtown Durham, Immaculata.

Immaculata Catholic School - Welcome to Immaculata (http://www.immaculataschool.org/immaculata_1/ - broken link)

Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I personally would not want to commute to and from Raleigh from Chapel Hill. Traffic gets backed up constantly and it can be quite a headache.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,251 times
Thanks for your responses! We definitely want to stay close to Chapel Hill, but not sure if we'll be able to afford to actually live in Chapel Hill. Hillsborough seems like an ideal choice- 20 minutes from Durham and from UNC Chapel Hill. I've never heard of Hillsborough, but as I'm looking into it, it seems to have a lot of what we're looking for.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary