Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times

Advertisements

get a Roku.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Most Rangers games are on MSG, which isn't available through Time Warner. You could, however, get it on DirecTV, although you'd have to subscribe to the premier package.

Or, as noted above, you can subscribe to NHL Center Ice through Time Warner. That should get you a good chunk of games.
We have Center Ice from Direct TV (my husband is a born/raised Bruins fan so it wasn't even an option to not get it ). We like it, but be aware, if you don't have the Center Ice package, even if you have MSG in your tier, they may black out games. We've found that with NESN & the Bruins games. Even now sometimes they black that one out & give us a different feed of the game. But if you have Center Ice you can see them on some channel.

You might want to see if there is a local meetup group for the Rangers. I know their are several sports related Meetups that go to various bars & they show the games there for them. So you can see the game & meet some other folks too.

And did you see with the conference re-alignment that every team will be playing a home/away series with every other team (I think that starts next year). So at least once each year you know your favorite team will be here for a game.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You are aware that when you move to another part of the country, there are some things you just have to give up. Yes?
Gee, I would have never guessed that would be your response.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
And did you see with the conference re-alignment that every team will be playing a home/away series with every other team (I think that starts next year). So at least once each year you know your favorite team will be here for a game.
With the realignment plan, the Canes are actually going to be in the same division as the Rangers. That means the Rangers are going to play in NC three times next year.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 AM

441 posts, read 1,291,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Actually you don't, because smart, forward-thinking people thought of ways to have it all. You'll have to subscribe to SOMETHING, but you do in NY anyway, right? Start with some of the advice given here and welcome to N.C.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
but be aware, if you don't have the Center Ice package, even if you have MSG in your tier, they may black out games. .
We deal with that with the Mets games - if they are playing the Nationals (who are "in this market"????) the game is blacked out on SNY. So then we get the MASN feed, which really, really stinks. You can go to sleep between pitches with those announcers. I think they spend half the game at the snack bar or men's room. But - at least we get the games. Wait, did I just say that? On 2nd thought, the Metties are hopeless, so we might be cancelling the MLB package.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM

310 posts, read 575,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Gee, I would have never guessed that would be your response.
I agree. Just because someone asks advice on how to get something they might miss doesn't mean that they aren't rational and pleasant human beings. The OP even said they are trying to bond with the local team. Sometimes the kneejerk "If you are going to live here you better not whine about it" reaction is uncalled for.

As far as the OP's question, yes, NHL Center Ice package should give you your fill of whatever team you choose to follow.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilaurorn View Post
We move in next month and leave behind our beloved hockey team, the NY Rangers. Being fans since birth do we just accept this loss?
How would we be able to access the games?
ps: we are working on bonding with the hurricanes.
We have tickets for RBC on 3/3 and for Christmas I got him 2 new jerseys one Rangers and one Hurricanes; cut each one up the middle and sewed them back together 1/2 and 1/2!!!
Having half and half "sweaters" is a nice touch and one that probably isn't that unusual in NC. Lots of transferees have done something similar for their former home's team.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
With the restructuring of the divisions and conferences next season, you should be able to see your team in person at least 3 times. The Canes/Rangers should play at least 6 times next season.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM

378 posts, read 974,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You are aware that when you move to another part of the country, there are some things you just have to give up. Yes?

Actually not - when I moved to Raleigh I had to give my my season tickets to see the best team in hockey The Detroit Red Wings for 41 regular season games (and guaranteed yearly playoff run ). Thankfully I purchased the NHL Center Ice package for less than 200 dollars and got to watch home coverage for the better part of the season. My recommendation to the OP is of course to purchase the package. It sounds like they already purchased tix to when the Rangers are in town (as did I with the Wings) so that's taken care of. Take in as many games at the RBC Center as you can, they're cheap and a heck of a lot of fun! The next step is to reach out for a supporters bar to watch the game with like-minded individuals. Here in Portland there is a Detroit-centric bar that really feels like home for games of all sorts. I'm confident the C-Dr's in Raleigh will find the NY one for the OP.

(Go Wings!) and since they're in the east I can say Go Rangers to the OP.

Last edited by danwilsonbsee; 12-21-2011 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Their, They're & There... It's still early here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary