U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What will you do with your lawn this fall?
The whole nine yards, aerate, lime, fertilize, overseed, etc. 14 33.33%
Just overseed and fertilize. 9 21.43%
Would like to do something but don't know what to do. 11 26.19%
Nothing, I give up! 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Status: "Apple Pie!" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Cary, NC
19,568 posts, read 31,020,522 times
Reputation: 16573

Advertisements

"None of the above," at this time.

I am considering changing over to Zoysia or Bermuda grass in the spring, and will soon make the decision. If that is the case, I will just live with the mess I have until then.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
 
140 posts, read 418,522 times
Reputation: 118
This is my first home with a yard down south and I want my grass to look respectable, do my part to add value to the new neighborhood. So please if you have any experiance and share my pain... help me out.

I bought a hand aerator and read that I should do that in September, but when? 1st day or late in the month?

Also this idea of lime and over seeding sounds interesting. I knew I needed to seed, but can anyone explain the process & benefit of "Lime'ing"?

Last Question; with what looks to be a constant lack of rain would a rain barrel like the pic below be a good idea or just another place for bugs to fester?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest NC
1,611 posts, read 3,254,787 times
Reputation: 864
We got a rain barrel- it has mesh on top to keep out bugs & debris. It filled totally over the past 2 weeks! It is good for shrubs & such- there is no pressure to run a sprinkler, but, every little bit helps.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 PM
 
140 posts, read 418,522 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
We got a rain barrel- it has mesh on top to keep out bugs & debris. It filled totally over the past 2 weeks! It is good for shrubs & such- there is no pressure to run a sprinkler, but, every little bit helps.
Could you give me an idea of what you paid and where you got it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
 
401 posts, read 1,088,278 times
Reputation: 196
September is typically a dry month in the triangle anyway, so seeding in Sept. is kind of a catch 22. If your yard has alot of trees(which leads to alot of leaves) the earlier the better. That's the only reason we seed any lawns in Sept.. Aside from that, Oct. is a better month, in terms of rainfall and temperatures for seeding. Some of the bigger companies start seeding early because they have to in order to get all of their customers done.
I've already seen several trucks on the road with a trailer full of aerators.
I guess my advice would be (for what it's worth) to not worry about it being too dry now. Just wait until Oct., even the end of Oct. into Nov.(We have had good results seeding even into Dec. with the right weather). We will start getting more rain and you can seed then.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Status: "Apple Pie!" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Cary, NC
19,568 posts, read 31,020,522 times
Reputation: 16573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
This is my first home with a yard down south and I want my grass to look respectable, do my part to add value to the new neighborhood. So please if you have any experiance and share my pain... help me out.

I bought a hand aerator and read that I should do that in September, but when? 1st day or late in the month?

Also this idea of lime and over seeding sounds interesting. I knew I needed to seed, but can anyone explain the process & benefit of "Lime'ing"?

Last Question; with what looks to be a constant lack of rain would a rain barrel like the pic below be a good idea or just another place for bugs to fester?
Lime will get our typically acidic soil into a pH range that will allow the grass to utilize nutrients better. I.e., if you fertilize and the soil is too acidic, you are wasting your time, money and effort.
And lime is cheap, and can be applied anytime.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM
 
140 posts, read 418,522 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Lime will get our typically acidic soil into a pH range that will allow the grass to utilize nutrients better. I.e., if you fertilize and the soil is too acidic, you are wasting your time, money and effort.
And lime is cheap, and can be applied anytime.
thanks Mike, this is just what I needed. Now is lime applied with a spreader just like seed?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 AM
 
4,783 posts, read 3,581,249 times
Reputation: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
thanks Mike, this is just what I needed. Now is lime applied with a spreader just like seed?
Yep. Be sure to get the pelletized lime (comes in tiny chunks instead of the other option, which is a very fine and impossible to work with powder).

Also, reconsider using a hand aerator unless you have a very tiny yard (100s of sq ft or less). The soil is generally too hard to do it correctly by hand, and you'll be at it for months trying to get everything done.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2007, 09:46 AM
 
1,483 posts, read 2,620,428 times
Reputation: 690
Default greatadvice

The advice is good keep it coming.

What would be the best method to get rid of lots of small rocks in the soil (most near the drainage ditch) the fastest. I know someone tilled and then hand picked but that was slow.

Also in what cases besides having clay is it needed to add topsoil before sod or seeeding a new lawn? I have sandy soil and no clay. does overseeding with say a winter grass kill off the summer grass? I dont see how they can occupy the same space. Thanks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
7,443 posts, read 14,565,865 times
Reputation: 4602
Keep an eye on Craigslist. Usually there are a bunch of guys out there that have large aerators and will come do your yard for pretty cheap and rather quickly for extra cash.
One year we also rented an aerator for 12 hours and several people in the neighborhood went in on it together. I think it cost us all 10 bucks per person and we each had it for 2 hours.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top