Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:04 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Does anyone listen to AM radio anymore?
Yes.
Quote:
It seems bizarre to have those towers sitting in the middle of prime real estate.
AM stations sometimes relocate, but it can be an expensive and difficult process -- especially when multiple towers are required. I doubt they could get enough for the land to justify the relocation, not to mention the problems they'd have finding a new site and still being able to get the signal strength they want at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,795 times
Quote:
Does anyone listen to AM radio anymore?
Strictly speaking for myself, no. Not at all here. I just got a receiver for the garage, and was loading the presets and even with a nice antenna I couldn't pull any more than 2 stations. Of course this was a non-elevated antenna and during the day, but still I was surprised how dead the spectrum was.

I'm from Cincinnati though, and still listen to podcasts from 700WLW, a talk radio station there, downloaded from the internet on my smartphone.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM

117 posts, read 246,744 times
Looks like these antennas will be in the area for a long time...2036 or perhaps as late as 2086.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM

91 posts, read 180,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Strictly speaking for myself, no. Not at all here. I just got a receiver for the garage, and was loading the presets and even with a nice antenna I couldn't pull any more than 2 stations. Of course this was a non-elevated antenna and during the day, but still I was surprised how dead the spectrum was.

I'm from Cincinnati though, and still listen to podcasts from 700WLW, a talk radio station there, downloaded from the internet on my smartphone.
I listen to Dave Ramsey approximately 10 minutes a month on WPTF...Otherwise its all FM or Ipod.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 PM

96 posts, read 147,118 times
Quote:
Does anyone listen to AM radio anymore? It seems bizarre to have those towers sitting in the middle of prime real estate. I can't remember, but how close are the power lines to the towers?
The only thing I ever listen to that is on AM is Jim Rome's radio show. Haven't consistently been in a place with an AM radio though during the time it's on, so I often stream an AM station with the show instead of actually listening. If things change, I will totally be listening daily though via AM.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM

37 posts, read 42,754 times
Quote:
There is an array of 5 antenna towers in Cary, clearly visible as you drive along Cary Parkway.

Google Maps: 35.801562,-78.813574

Anyone have any idea what they're for? They're too tall to be cell phone towers, and the only other place I've seen an linear array like that was in Fairfield Ohio where the VOA used to operate.

Just curious as to what they do.
It's on a need to know basis. What's your need to know?

I *could* tell you, but then, well, let's just say it would have consequences.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:55 AM

24 posts, read 29,922 times
Default Set of radio towers in Cary

Update:

The line of radio towers in Cary, outside of NW Maynard Road, are/were 850 AM, WKIX, and WKIX FM, 102.9

They came down on Nov. 28, 2021:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exPD9i2VHh0

That land is probably more valuable to put houses on than to broadcast radio.

FWIW, the reason there were 4 towers is the station operated (from there ) as Directional station; the signal did not transmit in all directions, it was 'shaped' to cover a certain direction, or t avoid interference to another station on the same frequency.

From what else I've been able to dig up, the transmitters have moved to the WPTF tower array, 3 towers, at Maynard & Chatham, between E. Chatham & Hiway 54.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:15 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukster View Post
Update:

The line of radio towers in Cary, outside of NW Maynard Road, are/were 850 AM, WKIX, and WKIX FM, 102.9

They came down on Nov. 28, 2021:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exPD9i2VHh0

That land is probably more valuable to put houses on than to broadcast radio.

FWIW, the reason there were 4 towers is the station operated (from there ) as Directional station; the signal did not transmit in all directions, it was 'shaped' to cover a certain direction, or t avoid interference to another station on the same frequency.

From what else I've been able to dig up, the transmitters have moved to the WPTF tower array, 3 towers, at Maynard & Chatham, between E. Chatham & Hiway 54.

These were longtime landmarks, and I miss them.
Yup. The 25 acres is going to be developed for mixed use, with townhomes, offices, and retail.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:42 AM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:

700AM-WLW is a landmark heritage radio station in Cincinnati with a strong signal covering multiple states in the Midwest region. Here in the Southeast similar legacy stations include 750AM-WSB in Atlanta, 1110AM-WBT in Charlotte, and 680AM-WPTF in Raleigh. Many of these longtime AM broadcasters now have an FM simulcast, as WSB is now 95.5 and WBT can also be heard on 99.3 to the west of Charlotte.

Old 12-06-2021, 10:02 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Does anyone listen to AM radio anymore? It seems bizarre to have those towers sitting in the middle of prime real estate. I can't remember, but how close are the power lines to the towers?
I still listen to AM to pick up basketball games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary