Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM

306 posts, read 436,514 times

Advertisements

I guess you and many other people missed this part of the article......

One of the runaway teen's guardians said Elvis was "vicious" and had lunged for the deputy, something the Supers dispute.

I recently spoke with a woman who was a witness in a civil trial on behalf of another woman who had her finger bitten off by one of those "maligned breeds".

Aren't there like a 100 or so different breeds of dogs that aren't maligned and make good pets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
From WRAL: "...but things like this are going to happen,” Harrison said. “Please put yourself in the deputy’s position. If you had been standing there, what would you have thought when the dog comes out charging towards you?”

When a dog comes charging out at me, I would think, "Oh, here comes a dog", not "OH, let me KILL this dog." I'm so incredibly appalled at and by this situation. As a responsible dog owner (of a much maligned breed), this is one of my biggest fears.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
As a responsible dog owner (of a much maligned breed), this is one of my biggest fears.
A responsible dog owner would not have allowed their dog to get out of the house with police out front when it is dark out. Sure sometimes they can slip out the door but that was where it could have been prevented.

It's terrible it happened, both for the family but also the officer. Police officers are people too, and there is a good chance that this officer feels bad for what he felt he had to do.

I don't think people realize the stresses involved in law enforcement. Did you read the article in the national news about law enforcement deaths up 13% this year? It's a very real and serious issue. So it's horrible that a dog had to go but people are still > dogs. Unless you were standing in his shoes you can't comment on whether or not it was warranted.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
A responsible dog owner would not have allowed their dog to get out of the house with police out front when it is dark out. Sure sometimes they can slip out the door but that was where it could have been prevented.

It's terrible it happened, both for the family but also the officer. Police officers are people too, and there is a good chance that this officer feels bad for what he felt he had to do.

I don't think people realize the stresses involved in law enforcement. Did you read the article in the national news about law enforcement deaths up 13% this year? It's a very real and serious issue. So it's horrible that a dog had to go but people are still > dogs. Unless you were standing in his shoes you can't comment on whether or not it was warranted.
I agree 100%. As a dog owner I would hate for anything to happen to my dog. Although I think of my dog as part of my family I haven't failed to realize that she is a dog and not a human. No human life should ever come before a dog. If my dog were to ever attack a person that is unwarranted I would immediately put the dog down most likely by shooting it in the head.

I highly doubt a police officer would shoot a dog especially in front of the dog's owner if he didn't feel threatened. The shot in back of the head most likely came from the officer pointing down at the dog as it continued to charge the officers. I don't know, I wasn't there so I can't pass judgement. But I do know when something doesn't make sense it's probably not true. It doesn't make sense that an officer would shoot a dog if it wasn't warranted.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:08 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,042 times
Dogs are a hazard that goes with the job, it's very effective to shoot them as a method of neutralizing that threat.

In addition to what I stated in my earlier post I would have liked to have seen some evidence that the officer shouted loudly at the animal, used pepper spray on it (and that is effective)

Last year, in the early morning I was walking my dog on our sub division I noticed two large German Shepard dogs trailing us, circling us and going in and out of the woods on either side of the road. My dog is a big dog but not very aggressive and I became concerned that the dogs were planning an attack due to the way they were behaving. I picked up a large rock to use if necessary to protect myself and my dog and I would have probably slipped his leash so he could protect himself better, if necessary. I though the dogs had gone but they appeared in a driveway alongside where we were and they both ran charging at us. I wasn't going to run, for obvious reasons, so my dog and I both stood there confident but ready for action. The result was both dogs came to a skidding halt near to the bottom of the driveway and looked at us , we just stood there til they walked off.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying I didn't need to club a dog to death just because it charged me.

I understand that LEO shouldn't have to get bitten but, hey, how many postmen (and women) have to shoot a dog as a means of thwarting dog attacks. I'm also not saying that it was inappropriate in this case, just saying that it needs an investigation to establish the truth and facts

Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
But I do know when something doesn't make sense it's probably not true. It doesn't make sense that an officer would shoot a dog if it wasn't warranted.
But it would make sense if.

The officer overreacted
Or was scared of dogs
Or couldn't care less
Or that was a cultural reaction
or that was unwritten policy
or misread the dogs actions
or the officer panicked
or wasn't trained
or knew his supervisors wouldn't investigate it
or any combo of the above

Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM

306 posts, read 436,514 times
Your experience and the cops experience in the article have nothing to do with one another.

Are you supposed to go through a checklist while a vicious dog is coming straight at you?

For the record, if two large german shepards would have attacked you and your large rock, you most likely would have been on the losing end of that battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
Dogs are a hazard that goes with the job, it's very effective to shoot them as a method of neutralizing that threat.

In addition to what I stated in my earlier post I would have liked to have seen some evidence that the officer shouted loudly at the animal, used pepper spray on it (and that is effective)

Last year, in the early morning I was walking my dog on our sub division I noticed two large German Shepard dogs trailing us, circling us and going in and out of the woods on either side of the road. My dog is a big dog but not very aggressive and I became concerned that the dogs were planning an attack due to the way they were behaving. I picked up a large rock to use if necessary to protect myself and my dog and I would have probably slipped his leash so he could protect himself better, if necessary. I though the dogs had gone but they appeared in a driveway alongside where we were and they both ran charging at us. I wasn't going to run, for obvious reasons, so my dog and I both stood there confident but ready for action. The result was both dogs came to a skidding halt near to the bottom of the driveway and looked at us , we just stood there til they walked off.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying I didn't need to club a dog to death just because it charged me.

I understand that LEO shouldn't have to get bitten but, hey, how many postmen (and women) have to shoot a dog as a means of thwarting dog attacks. I'm also not saying that it was inappropriate in this case, just saying that it needs an investigation to establish the truth and facts

Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
I guess you and many other people missed this part of the article......

One of the runaway teen's guardians said Elvis was "vicious" and had lunged for the deputy, something the Supers dispute.

I recently spoke with a woman who was a witness in a civil trial on behalf of another woman who had her finger bitten off by one of those "maligned breeds".

Aren't there like a 100 or so different breeds of dogs that aren't maligned and make good pets?

Nope - didn't miss it. Just don't buy it as an excuse for executing a dog in its own front yard.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I agree 100%. It doesn't make sense that an officer would shoot a dog if it wasn't warranted.

But it happens all the time.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post

A - I CAN comment, because I have the right to an opinion.

B - LOTS of jobs are stressful, that doesn't mean that cops (or real estate agents, or EMTs, or PR execs, all of which were listed on CNBCs list of most stressful jobs of 2011) should go around shooting things as an excuse. Stress is not a forbearance for gratuitous violence.

C - the dog was on PRIVATE property, property owned by the same people who were COOPERATING with police.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
If the dog was charging the officer, how did the officer shoot the dog in the back of the head? It would seem the dog would have to be running opposite the officer to get a bullet in the back of the head. I just always kind of view these cases with a skeptical eye because there's so much he said, she said involved. And then you have cases like this one where the police say the dog is being vicious but it sure doesn't look that way to me: Police decision to shoot dog questioned | abc11.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary