Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM

63 posts, read 87,613 times

Advertisements

Researching the area for a possible relocation and have learned a fair amount about the area but was curious where people might go for the long weekends and/or what areas people may own weekend homes in (and rent out to offset costs). Anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Beach, mountains and NC/Va lakes. Take your pick.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post
Researching the area for a possible relocation and have learned a fair amount about the area but was curious where people might go for the long weekends and/or what areas people may own weekend homes in (and rent out to offset costs). Anyone have any thoughts?
Many people in the Triangle own beach homes, but these are typically rented out by the week. "Weekend homes" may be more likely in the mountains or in golf resorts like the Sandhills.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM

63 posts, read 87,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Many people in the Triangle own beach homes, but these are typically rented out by the week. "Weekend homes" may be more likely in the mountains or in golf resorts like the Sandhills.
This is what I meant. I realize homes would be rented out by the week, but we would primarily only use them on select weekends.

What beaches do people go to? Again, not familiar with the areas outside of Raleigh. Spent most of my life in Southern California and NYC.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
The north carolina beaches are just fabulous.....just realize that those beaches are not full of high rises, you would have to hit myrtle beach for that....In fact there are very few hotels on nc beaches.......some of my favorites are:
Topsail (pronounced topsill)
emerald isle
holden
sunset
kure (pronounced cure-e)

I know a few people who have homes on oak island. I grew up in the triangle and we never went to wrightsville beach to vacation, but always went to emerald isle or one of the others listed.

Many also have vacation homes on the lakes:

hyco
gaston (there is a nc side and a va side)
kerr

Also the mountains.........which I am not familiar enough with to list towns!

Leigh

Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
is a beach house a risky investment? with hurricane, flooding, and what not?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
is a beach house a risky investment? with hurricane, flooding, and what not?
Homeowner's insurance plus wind/hurricane insurance!

Your insurance depends on how close to the coast you are. For example, a home that is beachfront is going to have higher insurance rates than a home that is off the island and 5 min. away.

Vicki

Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
The north carolina beaches are just fabulous.....
Leigh
The OP (and I) lived in California, so they may not like seeing such limited access to the beaches. And vehicles on NC beaches are a real turnoff for me.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM

528 posts, read 934,591 times
There are a lot of beautiful and very useable (warm water, easy access) beaches on the NC coast. Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach are only 2 hours from Raleigh and offer a nice weekend getaway. There are several nice places to visit in the NC mountains. We use Watershed Cabins whenever we rent a cabin (Home - Watershed Cabins | Luxury Log Home Rentals near Bryson City, North Carolina in the Great Smokey Mountains) in the mountains. They are well kept and beautifully appointed. Also, the proximity to Asheville (charming downtown, Biltmore House, lots of galleries, nice shopping etc) isn't bad. Sometimes we go to Charlotte for the weekend to see a Panthers game or just for a change of scenery. Washington DC is about 4.5 hours away and tons of fun stuff to do there.

Also, we're not that far from a lot of great places in SC. The SC & GA coasts have a lot of nice places to visit (Charleston, Savannah, Sea Island, Hilton Head, etc). We visit Palmetto Bluff (near Hilton Head SC and Savannah GA) as often as we can (very pricy but truly worth every penny (look for specials and offseason rates)...Palmetto Bluff. It will make you want to relocate to the lowcountry!

I saw that you used to live in CA. Depending on where, it may be hard to compare (I have family in the East Bay of San Francisco and have never found a place better for weekend outings than there) but over the years I've come to appreciate all this area has to offer.

Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary