U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Status: "Content and Mellow" (set 12 days ago)
 
23,485 posts, read 18,813,380 times
Reputation: 5660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
I think there's a big difference between bad performance and bad behavior, and teh Two don;t necessarily go hand in hand, not are they limited by race or income. Not sure if that's what you're suggesting but it sort of sounds like it and it would surprise me if you were.

I would agree with you on bad behavior and respond that it can be dealt with with discipline and separation. Bad performance can be grouped such that better students are not impeded.
There are strong very strong correlations between race, income and suspensions etc. Well documented here there and everywhere and a problem to be addressed continually often without much success.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/und...nt?oid=1609977

Quote:
Most of Wake County's suspended students are African-American. Although they made up just over a quarter of Wake County students in 2008–09, African-Americans composed 62 percent of short-term, and 68 percent of long-term, suspensions, according to Langberg's research.
So under pupil reassignment policies along with test scores being reassigned, aren't suspension rates also? Individual students start their education with a clean slate but eventually they establish their own profile and data base that gets reassigned with them.

 
Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
 
610 posts, read 832,871 times
Reputation: 422
Better to have 30+ in all classes even in elementary schools it is happening!! There is little money and sorry but the schools are mediocre at best here in Wake County.We have made most schools test to the lowest common denominator yes we have made our curriculum in our schools aligned with the weakest not the best so we can have test scores look better. Seriously a test question on the 8th grade science EOG... Which of the following is a man made substance? A Wood B. Clay C. Plastic!!! I kid you not !!! I rest my case!
 
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM
 
182 posts, read 182,113 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There are strong very strong correlations between race, income and suspensions etc. Well documented here there and everywhere and a problem to be addressed continually often without much success.

Under scrutiny, Wake County schools rethink long-term suspensions | Wake County | Independent Weekly



So under pupil reassignment policies along with test scores being reassigned, aren't suspension rates also? Individual students start their education with a clean slate but eventually they establish their own profile and data base that gets reassigned with them.
fair enough, but my response is to segregate by behavior if necessary, not by race or income
 
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Status: "Content and Mellow" (set 12 days ago)
 
23,485 posts, read 18,813,380 times
Reputation: 5660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
fair enough, but my response is to segregate by behavior if necessary, not by race or income
Yes but since suspensions correlate with race and income you will still get a result that creates defacto segregation or a lack of racial balance. Note I said it is correlation not a cause. So when you create special schools for discipline you get a statistical population that doesn't match your general population and folks can get upset about that. Also when you cluster bad behavior you leave yourself open to accusations that a lack of positive role models is creating the problem. You can't win!
 
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
 
182 posts, read 182,113 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Better to have 30+ in all classes even in elementary schools it is happening!! There is little money and sorry but the schools are mediocre at best here in Wake County.We have made most schools test to the lowest common denominator yes we have made our curriculum in our schools aligned with the weakest not the best so we can have test scores look better. Seriously a test question on the 8th grade science EOG... Which of the following is a man made substance? A Wood B. Clay C. Plastic!!! I kid you not !!! I rest my case!
Disagree strongly. My kids went to Apex High School and tested very high on the uniform, national AP tests in several subjects. Those are knowledge, not intellignece tests so they had to have been taught well, and they were. Now they'er doing very well in college. Better than in high school actually.

Once kids get to middle school they begin to get stratified by capability and there are multiple difficulty levels of classes for parents to choose from. If you kid isn't being challenged in Wake County it's your own fault.
 
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Status: "Content and Mellow" (set 12 days ago)
 
23,485 posts, read 18,813,380 times
Reputation: 5660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
Disagree strongly. My kids went to Apex High School and tested very high on the uniform, national AP tests in several subjects. Those are knowledge, not intellignece tests so they had to have been taught well, and they were. Now they'er doing very well in college. Better than in high school actually.

Once kids get to middle school they begin to get stratified by capability and there are multiple difficulty levels of classes for parents to choose from. If you kid isn't being challenged in Wake County it's your own fault.
I think you are discussing two different things. Chill is talking about the state standardized tests and you are talking about individual achievement tests that you take as a result of your academic accomplishments.
 
Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
8,277 posts, read 11,751,245 times
Reputation: 7277
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Seriously a test question on the 8th grade science EOG... Which of the following is a man made substance? A Wood B. Clay C. Plastic
All of the above: My Jenga, Play-Dough, and GI Joe were all man made.

Do I pass??
 
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
 
182 posts, read 182,113 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think you are discussing two different things. Chill is talking about the state standardized tests and you are talking about individual achievement tests that you take as a result of your academic accomplishments.
then what did this refer to:

"There is little money and sorry but the schools are mediocre at best here in Wake County.We have made most schools test to the lowest common denominator yes we have made our curriculum in our schools aligned with the weakest not the best so we can have test scores look better."

sounds like a comment about curriculum to me, the same curriculum that produces outstanding AP exam performance.

There is no general, "weakest-aligned" curriculum. There is however curriculum adjustable to any level of student.

Now, the EOG is one test for all that is intended to draw a line that probably is below average, because the object is to test to a minimum. EOG's however are not even remotely applicable to college admission though to my knowledge.

Broad generalizations drawn from EOG's are very limited. In any event our experience is completely opposite of the quote above.
 
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Status: "Content and Mellow" (set 12 days ago)
 
23,485 posts, read 18,813,380 times
Reputation: 5660
Not sure if this will help further the discussion but this is the 2011 % of students at or above grade level on the EOG by topic, grade level and school.

WCPSS: 2011 Elementary Schools EOG Scores

2009 and 2010 EOG scores by grade level and also by sub group.
http://www.wcpss.net/news/2010_july1...ing/index.html
 
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 AM
 
1,472 posts, read 2,544,511 times
Reputation: 675
Default what a mess

This is the biggest mess of a school system possible.

two points that no one is seeing:

a. with a new school board every x years, the direction will always change, kids will no longer have stability (very disruptive in learning), think of the stress of starting a new school (they will have that alot more than we did).

b. The test results soon wont mean much. We are shifting the kids all around so what scores were a valid metric one year, wont be the next.

We are running around in a huge politcal, circular system that is getting worse all the time at the kids expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top