Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,185,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
In my view, it is short sighted to think one student and/or family should have to suffer, so another student can achieve.
A common mistake in public policy discussions is to assume a zero-sum game scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
^what do you mean by "suffer"? a minor dislocation of a suburban student to me is not "suffering"
Little Madesyn and Brayden have to spend an extra half hour sleeping on the bus; quelle horreur!

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 01-08-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,864,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
And that is the plan that failed if you take a look at the minority graduation rates. Instead of being able to identify problem areas and focus additional resources in that direction, they just spread the problems around the entire system.
To take it a step further, additional resources have been proven ineffective as well. Look deeper.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,896,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Little Madesyn and Brayden have to spend an extra half hour sleeping on the bus; quelle horreur!
Oh Please. The situations are often a bit more complex (and impactful) than an extra half hour on the bus. It's been discussed ad naseum in this forum, so I won't rehash the issues. But let's not try to sway the debate by being mockingly dismissive of the real impacts on families of some of these decisions - regardless of which side of the issue you're on. I think we're all capable of a more respectful and substantive dialogue than that.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Triangle MLS has revised the requirements for school assignments in listings, and now makes available a blanket "Wake County School District," with a link to WCPSS.

Gonna be a lot of quick listing revisions, methinks.
It has been bizarre to be mandated to input assignments and then to disclaim them...

Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM

906 posts, read 2,378,692 times
Quote:
And that is the plan that failed if you take a look at the minority graduation rates. Instead of being able to identify problem areas and focus additional resources in that direction, they just spread the problems around the entire system.
Amen! Moving the kids around did very little to help their academic achievement. It made the schools look good overall, but WCPSS admin was not concerned with whether or not the students themselves benefitted. When I asked whether or not they kept track of the kids who bused to see if they improved academically, the answer was "We are interested in the aggregate at the school, not in the individual students".

Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM

182 posts, read 385,818 times
and what's going to happen if we segregate schools and get some schools with 90% low income/no income families? they'll be like any other awful inner city schools. makes no sense to me

Old 01-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
graduation rates are one measure. I don't want my tax money spent to promote 90% low income schools that will become just like other big city inner city poor schools. Raleigh doesn't need that

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM

875 posts, read 1,159,466 times
Quote:
I don't want my tax money spent to promote 90% low income schools that will become just like other big city inner city poor schools. Raleigh doesn't need that
I don't want my tax money being spent busing kids around for zero benefit. The previous system failed the students it was designed for.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I don't want my tax money being spent busing kids around for zero benefit. The previous system failed the students it was designed for.
I think avoiding 90% low income schools is a huge benefit, and I find it astounding that anyone could say with a straight face that is not a benefit

Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
I think avoiding 90% low income schools is a huge benefit, and I find it astounding that anyone could say with a straight face that is not a benefit
That is not a benefit. (He said with a straight face.)
It is a setting. There may be benefits accrued with proper administration.

Truly, academic achievement and social growth are the desired benefits.
Securing a place at the table of prosperity is a benefit.
Gaining the tools required to compete in the world is a benefit.
Stretching the bounds of awareness is a benefit.

The benefits of economic diversity may be reasonably found in development of empathetic understanding that all of us do not have the same advantages and the opportunity to mingle with people who have higher expectations and goals in life.
Does bussing accomplish those benefits, or to paraphrase John Edwards, does bussing fail to moderate the existence of "Two Wake County School Districts?"
Do kids who travel many miles from home have the same support at home for their schools as kids who attend school close to home?

Unless graduation rates, academic achievement, college attendance are raised across the board, measurable positive accomplishment of the mission of learning is questionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.