Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 AM

166 posts, read 419,032 times

Advertisements

***this is a repost from the TiVo forums but I thought someone here might have some useful input regarding Time Warner Cable***

I need some advice.

Until recently, I was living in NJ with my two upgraded TiVo Series 1 units (w/lifetime subs), basic Comcast cable service, and my SD televisions. I needed to use a DTA on each unit because Comcast is full digital now.

A few days ago, I moved to Cary NC. I purchased a 55" LCD TV for the living room and a smaller LCD for the bedroom. I'm considering upgrading to TiVo Premieres for higher resolution support and the multi-room capability.

Here's the problem. I haven't ordered any cable service from Time Warner yet because I don't know what I need. According to their pricing sheet, they offer several options...

Digital TV - 85.49/mo
Digital TV (when bundled with internet) - $82.49/mo
Broadcast TV w/ International Package - $33.99/mo (includes digital box)
El Paquetazo - $41.95/mo (includes digital box)
Analog Basic TV - $69.49/mo
Analog Broadcast TV - $16.99-$20.99/mo

Looking at their channel lineup, I think I just want "Basic Cable" but I don't know how that lines up with their offerings above. I really don't want to pay $80+ a month for television and I'm wondering what other people are doing.

If I go with one of the Analog options, will it look crappy on my TV?

Does going Analog get around the copy-protection issues with multi-room viewing?

Can I get any HD content without paying for "Digital"?

Do I need CableCards for all options, or just the "Digital" options?

I don't want to drop $1000+ on two lifetime Premiere units until I'm sure that everything is going to work and meet my needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 AM

441 posts, read 1,291,781 times
TWC is on my list of getting the boot, going to Direct TV, much better deal for what I need

Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
As a new subscriber, you should be able to get one of their promo pricing deals. I believe they offer a Triple Play (TV/internet/phone) for $89 now. If all you want are local channels, you could consider getting a OTA antenna, and bypass TWC completely.

I have a Tivo Premiere and have been using it with TWC for a couple of years now. You will need a cable card for each Tivo Premiere you have. It costs a dollar or something a month, but that is offset by not having to pay to rent a cable box. I'm not sure I'd buy the Tivo Premiere with lifetime subscription, even though I'm a long time (and I do mean *long* time) Tivo user. I have a TV in my bedroom, but I just have it hooked up to cable without a Tivo or cable box. I get the HD channels for local stations, and that's fine because I don't really watch TV there.

Anyhow, the first thing you need to do is forget the regular pricing on their website.. I don't think anyone really pays those prices, or at least they shouldn't!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
twc is on my list of getting the boot, going to direct tv, much better deal for what i need
+1

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 AM

150 posts, read 289,279 times
Just thought I'd mention: Call them back!!! they play games!
I set up our triple play super duper internet service whatever for 100(ish)
to be hooked up when we move in. My husband called the next day just to ask a question and he got faster service added to the same deal (triple play but we only needed basic cable) and they dropped the price to only$59.
I have no Idea why... but my husband is also one of those people that always wins radio station contests and scratch offs too... just lucky.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilaurorn View Post
Just thought I'd mention: Call them back!!! they play games!
I set up our triple play super duper internet service whatever for 100(ish)
to be hooked up when we move in. My husband called the next day just to ask a question and he got faster service added to the same deal (triple play but we only needed basic cable) and they dropped the price to only$59.
I have no Idea why... but my husband is also one of those people that always wins radio station contests and scratch offs too... just lucky.
Hope you like to PLAY GAMES because you will find out soon enough that you have to jump through hoops. They will keep raising your rates once the honeymoon is over and unless you spend hours pleading with retention and even taking your equipment into their office you will soon be the one paying $135 for what X is paying $119 and Y is paying $99 and Z is paying $59. I will dicker at a garage sale but have done it for the last time with those guys. My equipment is going back Monday and it's going to feel so good !! They can offer me 1/2 off for 3 months or 6 months or a year, I don't care. I would just be back to playing games again once the promo ended.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM

The OP was asking about Tivo - Directv does not offer an HD Tivo option, so this has gone really off topic.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 PM

After a few days of soul searching and teeth grinding, I think I'm going to just get Internet from Time Warner and skip the TV for time being. Digital TV is just far too expensive for the amount of television I actually watch. I can't justify it.

Does anyone know if Time Warner offers a really cheap "lifeline" analog cable option? Comcast used to offer it in NJ for less than $15 a month, but when they went all-digital, they dropped it. According to the Time Warner price list, they still have Analog pricing...

Pricing and Packaging | Time Warner Cable | East (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/shop/pricing.html - broken link)

Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
After a few days of soul searching and teeth grinding, I think I'm going to just get Internet from Time Warner and skip the TV for time being. Digital TV is just far too expensive for the amount of television I actually watch. I can't justify it.

Does anyone know if Time Warner offers a really cheap "lifeline" analog cable option? Comcast used to offer it in NJ for less than $15 a month, but when they went all-digital, they dropped it. According to the Time Warner price list, they still have Analog pricing...

Pricing and Packaging | Time Warner Cable | East (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/shop/pricing.html - broken link)
Yes, they do offer analog cable - listed at $16.99-$20.99/month.

Be sure to check out their deals - do NOT pay list price for anything. Here's one page:

Carolina | Time Warner Cable | Corporate

Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Yes, they do offer analog cable - listed at $16.99-$20.99/month.

Be sure to check out their deals - do NOT pay list price for anything.
I talked to a sales person via online chat last night and they insisted that analog TV isn't available. I need to talk to someone else. Maybe at my local office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary