Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
The town of Cary purchased the land to straighten GLC Road south of Morrisville Parkway from that developer (Hilliard Forest?). I believe there is a project for 2012 to straighten the road, so that work may be starting now.
WooHoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

57 posts, read 145,939 times
Quote:
The town of Cary purchased the land to straighten GLC Road south of Morrisville Parkway from that developer (Hilliard Forest?). I believe there is a project for 2012 to straighten the road, so that work may be starting now.
About freaking time they did this!!! I have seen several near miss collisions where the GLC makes hard curve with a stop sign with folks trying to enter Greystone neighborhood near their club house. About time they straightened this road.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM

300 posts, read 973,137 times
And to prove it, here's a link to the Town of Cary council minutes showing the motion approved

EN12-020 (http://www.townofcary.org/Town_Council/Agendas___Minutes/Staff_Reports/EN12-020.htm - broken link)

Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 AM

379 posts, read 959,366 times
Great info gobirdz27!!!

Looks like a Public Works facility will be built here??

Executive Summary: "The Town acquired 10.3 acres from Winslow Properties Development Company on July 29, 2011for the proposed West District Public Works Facility.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 AM

128 posts, read 282,872 times
I have seen the construction crews working there moving earth the past few days. Lets hope it's not just the developer providing a 'screening' for the next phase of homes to built adjacent to Greel Level, but the Town of Cary contractors building the road. As other posters have mentioned the current arrangement is very dangerous, as well as a mess.

Quote:

Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 AM

173 posts, read 312,983 times
Anyone have any new info on this? With the UNC Amberly Wellness Center being built nearby, it seems like now would be a good time to align both sides of GLC across OKC and install a light.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,399 times
Last time I drove by it looks like work on the southern GLC realignment had stopped (or never really started in the first place.) Maybe it was some other project, like a water main, that they were building in the first place.

Widening GLC from McCrimmon to O'Kelly Chapel plus the intersection realignment you're talking about was one of the items considered for the bond issue this year but it didn't make the cut. It was turned down in favor of other improvements deemed more important, such as widening Green Level West road from NC55 to NC540, widening Carpenter Fire Station from NC55 to NC540, the downtown streetscape along Academy, and improvements to Walnut Street around the US1/64 interchange.

Here are the materials about the bond issue. When reading this, keep in mind that council decided to move ahead with the $80 million option. We will be voting on this bond issue (and the tax increases it entails) in November.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 PM

173 posts, read 312,983 times
Well, at least its in the radar - too bad it didn't make the cut, though. If I'm reading that document correctly, since council is going with the $80M option, the CFS road project isn't going to make the cut either.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
Well, at least its in the radar - too bad it didn't make the cut, though. If I'm reading that document correctly, since council is going with the $80M option, the CFS road project isn't going to make the cut either.
You're right, the CFS/NC55 intersection improvements + railroad bridge made the cut but not the full CFS widening between NC55 and NC540. The intersection improvements alone will make a big difference, though. I guess they couldn't see spending $26 million of the bond money on a single road, and I'd say Green Level West is more important anyway given the NC540 interchange being built there.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM

We should rename this as "The Green Level Church Road Thread"...

Latest update on this corridor, the replacement bridge on GLC over White Oak Creek (south of Green Level West Road) is under construction right now. They're doing a lot of clearing here. From what I can tell, the new bridge will contain a sidewalk on one side and maybe bike lanes or shoulders, but will still be one lane in either direction. The new bridge will be about 5' higher than the old one and also a great deal longer.

The NCDOT project page for this bridge replacement is below.

NCDOT: Project Details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary