Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,427 times

Advertisements

I've been living in the northern NJ area for over a year. I'm currently working for a chemical company as an Account Manager. The cost of living is quite expensive up here and have been considering moving to Raleigh hopefully with my current employer' who has a hub in RTP and Charlotte's. I'm single in my late 30's looking for warmer weather and friendlier people with a sense of community. Overall, I'm looking for better quality of life, more laidback lifestyle, cleaner surroundings and was wondering if Raleigh would be the place for me. I'm planning to take a trip in the Spring to scout it out. Would appreciate any feedback you have that would help in making my decision. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
What are your specific questions?

The Triangle area would be fine for you.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
as a newer contributor, I'll give the advice I've seen longtime users give - citydata forums have a GREAT search function. Start there.

About 5% of the folks that move to the Triangle don't like it enough to leave. You'll like it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly07 View Post
was wondering if Raleigh would be the place for me.
Unfortunately none of us knows you, so we can't advise on whether it's "for you"...but if you give specific things you are or are not looking for, we can answer whether this is a place where ____ can be found, or not.

Quote:
I'm planning to take a trip in the Spring to scout it out.
Definitely a crucial step. No amount of reading words on the Internet can give you the sense of what it is like to live somewhere. You may find it a nice relaxing change of pace, or you might find it horribly provincial and boring (folks who come from the NNJ area have both reactions).

Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,427 times
Default Moving to RTP/Charlotte area

I enjoy living in different places (Florida, Vermont, New Hampshire, PA, NJ) and I've lived in different cities along the east coast. Now that I'm getting older, I'm looking to settle down in a city/town with quality of life (meaning warmer weather, entertainment, cleaner environment, lower cost of living, etc...) and people to meet. I would be renting at first but I plan to buy a house eventually (in the 150-200 k range). What areas do you recommend in RTP and Charlotte?

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
You really have many options in this area, so coming for a visit is the first step to see what works for you and what area you like. We all have different likes so what one person tells you on here may not be for you. For instanse I LOVE Wake Forest and where I live the ability to walk downtown whcih is continuing to grow. I am 20 minutes from my office on Strickland Rd in Raleigh. Now you might have someone post 5 seconds after me that hates Wake Forest.....You never know. Hook up with someone in the area to show you around when you come or just drive it yourself. There are so many area's and so much to see here, but I do believe you will like it alot. I moved here from CT and would never go back, and it has been 25+ years now :-) Good Luck with everything.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
In case you are trying to maximize your Spring experience in the Triangle, be advised that the peak of the flowering season is typically late March through Mid April. The azaleas, wysteria and dogwoods are spectacular. Early blossoms on some flowering trees and bulbs tend to pop up in late February but the real show is a month later.
Be advised, the pine tree "pollen drop" overlaps the Azaleas and Dogwoods on the back end of the flowering season. One day you might wake up and look out the window to what looks like a chemical attack of yellow-green powder! Then you just hope for a good rain to wash it away. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary