U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM

434 posts, read 449,598 times
Question Least Expensive Way To Refill SodaStream W/CO2 ?

Hi, does anyone know where to get the SodaStream cartridges refilled other than BB&B, and the other listed places that SodaStream suggests? I have googled this and read about all kinds of ways to refill these CO2 cartridges and even ways of connecting them to a larger co2 tank with the help of adapters etc. to save a lot of $$$, (BB&B charges $15 to exchange a small bottle of co2) looking for local places & ideas. BTW the product works really well saves a lot of carrying Seltzer bottles home from the store! Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM

4,874 posts, read 9,934,588 times
I don't know much about this soda stream product, but I'm in a hobby that also makes use of pressurized CO2, so I may be able to help.

Looking at the website, it seems that the carbonators are aluminum gas canisters, is that correct? I cannot determine what type of valve they have, so my suggestions may not be valid. . . but

I get my CO2 canisters (5+ lb) filled at a welding supply store. Fire extinguisher stores also work. However, I doubt that they would fill canisters this small. Second option is a sporting goods store, like Dicks, that sells paintball supplies. I have some smaller canisters that I do this for. I can't guarantee that they have the correct adapter for your carbonator. Third option is American Brewmaster in Raleigh. They refill larger CO2 canisters and may be able to do this for you, but again, I doubt that they have the adapter. Fourth option is to make the adapter yourself, get a 5+ lb CO2 canister, and fill the carbonators yourself. Unfortunately the CO2 tank, regulator, and adaptor would be very expensive ($100+).

Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,478,425 times
I can speak with some authority on the topic; some of the postings you've read are probably mine.

I did use an aftermarket adapter to connect my SodaStream machine to an external CO2 tank.

The same guy that sells the adapter also makes one that fits paintball canisters, but I went with the larger "CGA" type tanks.

I have 2 tanks; a 5 pound and a 20 pound. I bought the 20 pound one on Craigslist, and got the 5 lb one new.

Overall, it is a much cheaper solution; especially if your machine gets the use that mine does. I make 2 liters per day nearly every day.

There are some "gotchas". The tanks themselves need to be tested every...I want to say 5 years? The test runs about $25, but I've only found one place that does it, a fire extinguisher shop. They stamp the tank with a date. No stamp, no refill. Also, the adapter leaks pretty good, so I have to remember to shut off the valve completely or I'll end up with an empty tank. That has happened more than once. (Once only a few days after I had the tank refilled. Fortunately it was the 5 pound tank, but I was still very angry with myself)

I'm also now using genuine Diet Coke syrup; another kind of kludgey hack. The mix ratio is different than the SodaStream syrups, so it takes some doing; I have to pour out about 6.75 ounces of the charged water, then fill to the line with the real syrup. Soda Stream's Diet Cola isn't bad, there's no beating real fresh fountain Diet Coke.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 PM

9,053 posts, read 10,679,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
I'm also now using genuine Diet Coke syrup; another kind of kludgey hack. The mix ratio is different than the SodaStream syrups, so it takes some doing; I have to pour out about 6.75 ounces of the charged water, then fill to the line with the real syrup. Soda Stream's Diet Cola isn't bad, there's no beating real fresh fountain Diet Coke.
If you found some Coke glasses from the 50s-60s, you could find some have the "Syrup fill" line that should work pretty good. Of course you would be making it by the glass.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,643,258 times
If you get a coupon from bb&b, I don't think its so expensive, especially considering the cost of buying seltzer. We use our almost daily and need to fill it every two months or so.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:09 AM

1,742 posts, read 1,877,051 times
Aviator Brewery fills C02 tanks - not sure if it would suit your purposes -

"We now fill CO2 tanks at the brewery! 5lb tank $20, 10lb $30, 20lb $40"

Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM

16 posts, read 91,543 times
Default More info?

Quote:
The same guy that sells the adapter...
Link, info? This appears to be the crux of the matter but you glossed over it. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGotts View Post
Link, info? This appears to be the crux of the matter but you glossed over it. Thanks.
Sorry, was cautious of a direct link being afoul of forum rules. Google FreedomOne CO2 Doctor and that should get you pointed in the right direction.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you found some Coke glasses from the 50s-60s, you could find some have the "Syrup fill" line that should work pretty good. Of course you would be making it by the glass.
Nice thought, but even if I were making it by the glass I don't think it would work. The syrup I have is what they call "post-mix", and it's specifically made for fountain machines.

The ratio for this stuff is supposed to be 5:1, and I bet the old syrups for soda jerks were much more concentrated. Could be wrong.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 PM

9,053 posts, read 10,679,684 times
Quote:
Nice thought, but even if I were making it by the glass I don't think it would work. The syrup I have is what they call "post-mix", and it's specifically made for fountain machines.

The ratio for this stuff is supposed to be 5:1, and I bet the old syrups for soda jerks were much more concentrated. Could be wrong.
I think that the old post-mix was 5.4 to 1, although in the old soda fountain days, proprietors were known to give you more syrup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary