Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 01:18 AM

30 posts, read 121,216 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are planning to start graduate school next fall and NC Central U is one of our options. We're doing our relocation research early; we'd be moving from Albuquerque, NM.

Currently we live about 2 miles from the University of New Mexico, where we both work. I walk most places or take the bus and my husband is really into bike commuting. We have lived in Albuquerque for 11 years without owning a car (and Albuquerque's public transit is pretty bad - busses very 30-35 min, usually late) and would like to know if we can do the same in Durham?

Are there decent (clean) apartments for rent around the university? Is the closest grocery store accessible by bike or walking? How about general "things to do" (shopping, theater, movies) - do you need to have a car to do them?

Any help you can offer is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 01:42 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,880 times
I think that, as a rule, the Southeast United States (east of the Mississippi, south of DC) is oriented in such a way that cars rule the proverbial roost. Even the presence of sidewalks can be an issue (this is particularly true in the suburbs, where it assumed that everyone has a car).

Durham is pretty typical of the SE US; on a scale of 1-10, it scores a 4-5 at best as far as the carless lifestyle is concerned. The downtown and older areas have more sidewalks and are a bit more bike-friendly.

Another question, and please do not think me as less than delicate, but are you black? I ask because the area immediately surrounding NCCU is a black neighborhood and not necessarily the best one. The university is nice, though. But culturally speaking, you may feel out of the loop if you are not black. But, to each their own ...

Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
You can get around Durham without a car fine. The public transportation system may not be the best, but there is a very nice little downtown area with everything you are looking for. Also, the buses will take you most any places you would want to visit within town.

And, I wouldn't listen too much to what the other poster said at the bottom of their post.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Mary, if you're looking for some insight from someone who has been there, I think I know where you can find it.

There's a man who resides in Durham - BullCityRising is his handle - who used to post on these forums quite regularly & who also has a blog that is all about Durham. A while back he decided to take Durham's public transport for a week just to see how easy/hard it was. Here are some links to his blog entries.
Bull City Rising: Bull City Riding: Day #1 (http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/07/bull-city-ridin.html - broken link)
Bull City Rising: Bull City Riding: Day #2 (http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/07/bull-city-rid-1.html - broken link)
Bull City Rising: Bull City Riding: Day #3 (http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/07/bull-city-rid-2.html - broken link)
Bull City Rising: Bull City Riding: The wrap-up (http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/07/bull-city-rid-3.html - broken link)

As for housing, I suggest you contact the graduate school and see if they have any recommendations. I hear that Duke's graduate program does a regular survey of apartments in the area in order to help new students find the best place for them. Hopefully NCCU has a similar program.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary