Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
A bit pretentious there, aren't we h2o??
Merely stating a fact. Why, do you really believe you can get a brand new home for ~$200k? And do you really believe that a Pulte, mass produced home will have the same quality as a custom built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM

53 posts, read 92,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Merely stating a fact. Why, do you really believe you can get a brand new home for ~$200k? And do you really believe that a Pulte, mass produced home will have the same quality as a custom built?
I agree with you...you can't get a custom home for the same price as a production home...and we're not expecting too. We're pretty simple family as far as our needs in a house being secondary to the location, schools and community amenities. From the Cary planning docs, this Pulte section will be in its own corner of the PUD vs co-mingled w/ the custom homes.

Looking online, you can clearly see the custom homes on the market have that extra detail and "wow" factor...verrrry nice! For our situation, price is more important for the family lifestyle we want to achieve (i.e. less work, more play!) which is why the community amenities are one of our top 3 criteria.

We're also stopping by Kitts Creek and 12 Oaks in Holly Springs...similar price point available.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
I'd do some research on Pulte first before buying one of their homes. Might be worth it to buy an older, well constructed home than a shoddily put together tract house for the same price.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
You didn't qualify with "custom built" when you made your statement, and yes I moved into a brand new home in the Highland Creek neighborhood for 245k, so a ~200k new home as you put it is quite possible.

Will it have every bell and whistle of a 300-400k home? Probably not but I am definitely not ashamed to have visitors...

Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,406 times
Quote:
You didn't qualify with "custom built" when you made your statement, and yes I moved into a brand new home in the Highland Creek neighborhood for 245k, so a ~200k new home as you put it is quite possible.
Sorry. I thought you read through the thread and picked up on the fact that Amberly VS started as custom homes but will end up with a tract builder.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 PM

No worries there. My neighborhood is going downhill quickly as well. We started out as Centex with a much better home quality product. Centex was bought by Pulte and the remaining phases are much cheaper builds and starting prices so I definitely feel your pain. I definitely am not a fan of Pulte at this point.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,786 times
Quote:
No worries there. My neighborhood is going downhill quickly as well. We started out as Centex with a much better home quality product. Centex was bought by Pulte and the remaining phases are much cheaper builds and starting prices so I definitely feel your pain. I definitely am not a fan of Pulte at this point.
Which neighborhood is this?! Please PM me if you do not want to post on this thread.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 PM

513 posts, read 1,604,603 times
The clearing across from Highcroft Village was purchased by Pulte from what I was told by one of our builders...I am in HV currently. At one point it was the next phase to HV since the tree farm next door decided not to sell out.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Which neighborhood is this?! Please PM me if you do not want to post on this thread.
I live in Highland Creek off 401 near Forestville Rd. All of the signage still sports the Centex brand but they are definitely not building Centex homes anymore...

We are in one of the middle of the road home models, with some cheaper ranch style single stories in our phase and then towards the Forestville side of our phase the homes were into the 400s.

I would be quite a bit more upset if I was in those models with the Pulte single family homes starting in the 170s now.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
That is a definite risk with any builder, but much more the large nationals. If they encounter trouble, they will often drop prices or change things to get rid of their inventory. If you have a huge number of lots and still make a little on each, it's is much more attractive to cut and run than if you are small and need the money on each lot.

I was very early to buy in Breckenridge (Pulte neighborhood from early 2000s) and bought a relatively inexpensive "Manor Home" which was a sort of half single family half townhome semi detached thing that was connected by a storage room but otherwise separate.

Not super expensive at around $160k when we bought, but in the back of the larger development they they started selling another neighborhood with the same floor plan with better stock features, better upgrades available and for $7500 less 2 years later. Kind of kills your resale for a while. At least we were not in one of the more expensive sections where they did something similar to $250k houses but sold for $25k less in the back.

At any rate the point I am getting at is the nationals want to get in and out as fast as possible whereas a local custom group is more likely to be patient and ride it out with you, mthough of course everyone has their limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary