U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2007, 05:28 PM

108 posts, read 351,952 times

Advertisements

Seriously though, what are the guidelines for hunting near residential communities? And what is in-season right now?

We just moved to the Wynngate community in Creedmoor - and lately there has been lots of hunters and guns going off...VERY near our community, within a few hundred yards. We can even hear the bloodhounds tracking down whatever it is that is being hunted.....

I have nothing against hunting but they seem a bit close to a residential area....I don't let my dog run free when we go out back because I am worried she will get shot
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 05:37 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,902,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentwoodBoy View Post
Seriously though, what are the guidelines for hunting near residential communities? And what is in-season right now?

We just moved to the Wynngate community in Creedmoor - and lately there has been lots of hunters and guns going off...VERY near our community, within a few hundred yards. We can even hear the bloodhounds tracking down whatever it is that is being hunted.....

I have nothing against hunting but they seem a bit close to a residential area....I don't let my dog run free when we go out back because I am worried she will get shot
Well, you did move to Creedmoor.....it's still a rather rural community with lots of land....you are going to have hunting. If they are hunting on private property and no in the city limits, it doesn't matter if there are homes near. One just hopes that the hunters are using common sense and basic safety.

Hunting with dogs is also very popular so it's not surprizing you hear them. Don't see many blood hounds though. Mostly retrievers, beagles and some pointers.

Not sure what is in season right now, I don't think deer season starts until next week.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:04 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,221,186 times
It is dove season now.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Well, you did move to Creedmoor.....it's still a rather rural community with lots of land....you are going to have hunting. If they are hunting on private property and no in the city limits, it doesn't matter if there are homes near. One just hopes that the hunters are using common sense and basic safety.

Hunting with dogs is also very popular so it's not surprizing you hear them. Don't see many blood hounds though. Mostly retrievers, beagles and some pointers.

Not sure what is in season right now, I don't think deer season starts until next week.
And packs of coonhounds and blueticks are the most common for deer and raccoons.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 PM

115 posts, read 280,285 times
How long does dove season last?

I also just moved into a new house and came back from my long weekend out of town to morons shooting guns in the woods behind my house.

I don't live in the country, sure it's Fuquay, but it is within city limits and close to an elementary school.

Are there any other hunting seasons where people can shoot within city limits?

It sounded like they were real close and l'd like to enjoy my backyard without worrying about being hit by stray bullets.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:16 PM

Dove season lasts until the first week sometime in Oct. It is also goose season, But that is not usually in woods.

I have no idea about hunting regulations. And I never said anything about hunting in city limits. You can call the NC Wildlife and ask at 919-707-0040. And you also might want to call your county as they have regulations on top of state regulations.

Last edited by autumngal; 09-03-2007 at 07:30 PM..

Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,186,277 times
North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 AM

823 posts, read 2,737,715 times
I'd definitely be careful of your animals and children. We used to live in the country in Virginia. My husband posted our land and would confront trespassing hunters who invariably replied, "Gee, I was just looking for my dog who wandered away..."

Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
I'm surprised by the amount of misinformation contained in this thread. First of all, as previously noted, it's Dove season. Dove season runs from 9/1-10/6, 11/19-11/24, and 12/17-1/12. However, most of the activity is concentrated around opening weekend, which just passed.

As also noted, dove hunters use retrievers, not bloodhounds.

Worried about being shot? Stray bullets falling from the sky? Oh my! More bad information. Bird hunters use shotguns, not rifles. Shotguns don't shoot bullets, they shoot shot. And the size shot that's used on Dove is so small that it doesn't travel more than about 200 yards, and probably wouldn't even break the skin past 150 yards.

I'm not aware of any law against bird hunting within the city limits of Creedmoor or any other city mentioned in this thread. There is a law that says it's illegal for a hunter to discharge a firearm with 150 yards of a residence. The original poster said the hunters were shooting "within a few hundred yards," which is more than 150 yards required by the law.

What's with all the hostility toward hunters? One poster referred to them as "morons shooting guns in the woods." What is the basis for that opinion? As demonstrated above, they're not doing anything illegal or unsafe. They're out having a good time, enjoying the outdoors, spending time with their friends and family, carrying on a tradition, etc. How does that make them morons? You might not agree with the way they choose to spend their free time, but that doesn't make them morons.

The next time you see hunters in the area, instead of locking up your animals, barring the door, and rushing to your computer to get on the errornet to find out what's going on right outside your house, why don't you try going out and introducing yourself to the hunters after they're through with their hunt? As a hunter, I've had that happen to me several times and it always worked out well for everyone. Who knows, you just might learn a thing or two.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Thanks Michael for filling in the dove season dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary