U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:16 PM

229 posts, read 324,061 times

Advertisements

Another Saturday morning has come and gone, and again I feel like my weekend has started off with a major letdown. Almost every Saturday we wake up and have the itch to get a good breakfast out, and for the life of us, we can't find anywhere that serves edible food.

Some thoughts on places we've been:

La Farm - Awesome, but only serves brunch on Sun, and their Mon-Sat breakfast ends before we wake up.

Barry's Cafe - Horrid greasy food, margarine, fake syrup, disgusting looking kitchen

Cary Cafe - Extremely plain, mediocre food at best. OJ is Minute Maid in a plastic bottle??!?!

Irregardless Cafe - Food is quite good, but it's a bit of a trek from Apex, and even with reservations we've been made to wait 20+ minutes before.

Benetis in Durham - Went there this morning based on some solid yelp reviews, and now I've lost ALL hope in Triangle yelpers. Great service, but the restaurant is just plain scary and depressing. Again, margarine, fake syrup, oily potatoes, etc. Just as bad as Barry's Cafe, but with zero ambiance. It's in the same strip mall as a DMV...'nuff said. (Could someone explain why DMVs are in strip malls to begin with?)

Brigs - Basically Denny's with a little cleaner restaurant and a little more creative menu. Food is mediocre at best, and overloaded with butter. The fact that Brigs gets voted best of anything makes me really depressed.

Raleigh Farmers Market Restaurant - This place almost made us want to move back home, based on how great the reviews are, and how terrible the food is. This was the first of many margarine and fake syrup experiences I've had since moving here.

Coffee and Crepes in Cary - Soggy crepes, and a very limited selection. The owner has clearly never eaten a true Parisian crepe. Even the crepes I had in Costa Rica were far superior. Plus it's next to a place called Greek Fiesta (pick a language...).

Now I know this topic is useless unless I provide some idea of what I'm looking for, vs. just complaining. So here are some comparisons vs. what I could find back at home for ~$10/plate:

Alanas in Redwood City, CA:

vs. Benetis in Durham:

Crepevine in Burlingame, CA:

vs. Coffee and Crepes in Cary:

Village California Bistro in San Jose, CA:

vs. Brigs

Does anyone have any suggestions we should try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:38 PM

4,551 posts, read 4,961,519 times
Brunch traditionally has always been a Sunday thing around here. There are some excellent places open for brunch on Sundays in the area.

For Saturday brunch some places you may want to try:

Busy Bee
Tir Na Nog
Dos Taquitos downtown
Milltown in Carrboro
Watts Grocery
Mecca
Buku (though they may only be Sundays)
Guglhupf
Weathervane (though I feel like their brunch isn't as good as it used to be)

Oh yeah, and I've heard Beasley's has started doing weekend brunch but I personally can neither confirm or deny this.

Last edited by evaofnc; 01-21-2012 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: a

Old 01-21-2012, 03:42 PM

703 posts, read 888,038 times
JimmyZ80. I hope you get a bunch of replies. I too love La Farm and have found few other brunch possibilities in their league.

We've tried Barry's (even the floor was greasy), Brigs (disappointingly ordinary), Carolina Cafe, (no La Farm, but tasty/innovative entrees and serves breakfast until 2 on Sat.), Mimi's Cafe (tasty and serves breakfast until 4 except for waffles which I guess end at noon) and Elmo's in Durham (good coffee, hearty entrees, friendly/efficient staff but not quite the decadent brunch experience).

Parker and Otis serves breakfast until 2 on Saturdays. Again, it's in Durham, but the food is always tasty and you can't beat the dining on the deck.

Sunday brunch at Vin Rouge was wonderful. Highly recommend it. Again another drive and not on Saturday.

I agree with you. There is something about starting Saturday out with a leisurely breakfast with knock-your-socks off food that sets the tone for the weekend.

Will be checking back. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,314,361 times
Some of my favorites are Rue Cler, Guglhupf, Ricks Diner, Parker and Otis, Elmo's, and Watts Grocery. All are delicious, real food, and reasonably priced. Of course all are in Durham and may not be the most convenient for some. I also like the atmosphere at all of them, although some more than others.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Ahh I forgot to mention that I had tried Parker & Otis, Foster's Market, and Elmos. I found all of those to be quite enjoyable, and would even say that Foster's serves the best Lox & Bagels I've had anywhere. The problem though is they're so damn far away, and I generally try to avoid Durham in general.

I also generally avoid Mimi's since they are a chain, and we had them back in CA too. I try to only dine at locally owned businesses.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 PM

4,551 posts, read 4,961,519 times
If you like lox bagels, try NYBD III in Cary. We often go there for Saturday breakfast. Their bagels remind me of the ones I grew up with in NJ.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM

9,123 posts, read 10,680,302 times
I don't like breakfast but when we went to CA on vacation I ate the best breakfasts ever, every day. hard to measure up to that!

Good luck though!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
If you like lox bagels, try NYBD III in Cary. We often go there for Saturday breakfast. Their bagels remind me of the ones I grew up with in NJ.
Funny coincidence. I just went there a few days ago for lunch to try them out, but was kinda disappointed. Might be a different story for breakfast though if they have lox and bagels.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM

703 posts, read 888,038 times
What about Coquette or Porter's City Tavern in Raleigh? I've heard about them but haven't been yet.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
What about Coquette or Porter's City Tavern in Raleigh? I've heard about them but haven't been yet.
Coquette is pretty good, and we've gone there frequently on Sundays (no brunch on Sat.). Porters I still need to try for an early meal. We went there for dinner on NYE this year, and it was fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary