U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

What is the going rate for baby sitters? I need ideas on the
Going rates for child care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 AM

122 posts, read 227,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCButterfly View Post
What is the going rate for baby sitters? I need ideas on the
Going rates for child care.
$10-$12 an hour, realistically, for someone who's reasonable & certified. [Cary/Apex]

Ours is $12/hr (certified K-6 teacher).

Last edited by kesco; 01-22-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,008,113 times
I think $10/hr is probably around the average. But if you just need a high school kid to sit in front of your TV while your kids sleep then you could probably get by for as little as $6/hr.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 AM

454 posts, read 597,251 times
Lucikly my neighbor's kid ( right across the street ) started to babysit so we paid her about $8 an hour. Figured it was in line with what minimum wage is ($7.75, right? ) Same as what Saucy said, we only have 1 kid and she goes to bed around 9 so she really only has to watch her for about 2 hours then she is sleeping.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 AM

2,183 posts, read 4,682,214 times
We use one of the preschool teachers at my sons daycare for our sitting needs. She only charges $8 and hour and is certified in cpr, etc. She's a really good artist and takes time to draw and play with my son, instead of just sitting there reading a book or watching TV. She also has her bachelors degree and is very responsible.

We pay her $10 an hour just because we're shocked she charges so little and we want to keep her happy and coming back when needed.

We are in NW Raleigh near 540, so $10 is still an extremely good rate.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:12 PM

273 posts, read 305,997 times
Arent those the same wages you get paid at Walmart or Wendys or a lot of retail jobs? Holy smokes kids are expensive. Neighbors should babysit neighbors for tips as part of learning respect, responsibility, and community wellness! At least thats what my folks did for us when we grew up....... Now every kid wants to buy an iPod for babysitting someone for 6 hours? wtf? tax free too? Really????

Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,338,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
Arent those the same wages you get paid at Walmart or Wendys or a lot of retail jobs? Holy smokes kids are expensive. Neighbors should babysit neighbors for tips as part of learning respect, responsibility, and community wellness! At least thats what my folks did for us when we grew up....... Now every kid wants to buy an iPod for babysitting someone for 6 hours? wtf? tax free too? Really????
Generally speaking, we no longer live in communities to our detriment. I think some people do still do this, though. I know that when my kids were younger I had a couple other moms who always wanted to trade babysitting with me. I sat for their kids several times each. It seemed to only work one way, though, because every time I asked they were busy. I'm sure it works for other people. I know there are lots of family-friendly community oriented neighborhoods in the triangle where neighbors do still take care of one another.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:04 PM

9,123 posts, read 10,669,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
Soooooo...you think babysitting is a less important job than working at Walmart or Wendys?!

I'm pretty sure I'm quite a bit older than you and believe me, I never babysat anyone out of the goodness of my heart.

Neighbors babysitting neighbors....quaint concept. I don't think anyone's buying an ipad off $8 an hour every now and then.

I used to babysit for neighbors when I was a kid - they would pay me $20 even if they were only gone an hour. My mom would always call them and complain (this was in the 70s!!!!) and they would say "we have a responsible girl who lives right next door, you're a nurse - it's worth more than gold to us to keep her interested in coming back here".

A responsible babysitting who plays with the kids, doesn't have friends over and doesn't sit around texting all night is worth her weight in gold.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM

273 posts, read 305,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Soooooo...you think babysitting is a less important job than working at Walmart or Wendys?!

I'm pretty sure I'm quite a bit older than you and believe me, I never babysat anyone out of the goodness of my heart.

Neighbors babysitting neighbors....quaint concept. I don't think anyone's buying an ipad off $8 an hour every now and then.
I did not say anywhere that babysitting is a less important job. However, it is a younger persons job and should be less paying, not more paying.

And no, nobody buys iPads for $8/hr. They do buy iPods at $8/$12/hr as I said, you simply skipped reading and misthought of an item with a price tag with an extra digit.

If finding a responsible kid that isnt on the phone and have friends over is worth their weight in gold as you stated after, then shame on parents for not making more gold. Every kid should be able to do that. If not, what the heck is wrong with the kids?

I dont think I'm being judgmental at all, I think its an obvious look at the truth. Every kid raised should be able to babysit. I was a farm boy instead, and got paid one third of what your suggesting. Was I less important by your standard, then?

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary