U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:44 AM

17 posts, read 10,089 times
I will be moving to the area soon, too. I would be happy to be a co-leader for a Daisy Troop. My daughter is a rising kindergartener. When I know my address, I'll contact the council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM

5,758 posts, read 5,693,922 times
My experience with this council has been quite frustrating. Girl Scouts is not as popular here as it was in Northern Virginia. It's hard to get in touch with our local Council leader (Chapel Hill area) and/or get a response. I, fortunately, through our development's listserv was able to contact a current leader who helped me out immensly. I was able to get my older daughter in a Junior Troop (although at a different school since our school has none). My younger daughter had to go in a Kindergarten Daisy Troop that was just getting started because there were only 3 troops in our area (she's in 1st grade). Many of the troops are not willing to take newcomers.

I was willing to be a leader, but you must have a co-leader to get started, and that's hard to do if you don't iknow anyone. (In our old Council, a co-leader was not necessary, although a second parent/adult had to be present.)

Now that we know more people, I am going to start up a 2nd grade Brownie troop here for next year. Anyone I mention it to that my daughter is in Girl Scouts, says, "Wow, how did you find out about them? I tried when I moved here, but couldn't find out anything."

I don't know where you're moving to, but hopefully, in Raleigh, there is better communication. You really have to be proactive around here. It's been very frustrating for me.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM

7,276 posts, read 13,932,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickpeas View Post
I will be moving to the area soon, too. I would be happy to be a co-leader for a Daisy Troop. My daughter is a rising kindergartener. When I know my address, I'll contact the council.
I am a leader in Cary. Do you know what town you'll be living in?
I would recommend contacting council in that area now so you get started with the training necessary to become a leader/co-leader. That way it will already be completed when scouts start back up in the fall. And if you already have a general idea of where you are going to be living, they can probably hook you up with other leaders so you can start talking now.
There is a serious shortage of leaders in my area and therefore a long waiting list of girls to get into troops but of course if you offer to help lead, your daughter will get a spot.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 372 times
I have personally attempted contacting the council office countless times in regards to getting my daughter into a daisy program. I have a daughter who is daisy age but I have had no luck finding her a troop. michgc I am located in durham but run a BSA Venturing Crew in Chapel Hill, so would prefer a chapel hill daisy troop. Perhaps now that you have relocated to chapel hill you had better luck then I did finding a daisy troop. If no perhaps we can get our girls together.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 AM

5,758 posts, read 5,693,922 times
I actually ended up hooking up with a woman who was just starting a troop, so we pulled one together ourselves. We are doing a mixed Daisy/Brownie troop right now (1st and 2nd graders). I am the Brownie leader and she is the Daisy leader. I had to work hard to recruit some of our girls, and the other names came to us through the council. There is a new person in charge of council now, and she seems more responsive than the last person.

Honestly, your best bet in getting your daughter in Girl Scouts is to find others who want to join and form a group yourselves.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM

167 posts, read 112,124 times
I hope you have some answer from here if you start a troop would be the best way or you may not get in,Keep calling the office ,ask for the area leader in charge of the Daisy for the area you will be in As here in Area 19 I could give you a name. Find a co-leader asap. ask retired person I am a grand mother had daughter now I have grand daughter inGS if I had not Vol again she would not be i her troop. We need people to help out ,It not that hard few hours a week and you will enrich so many girl life, PLEASE and good luck , Keep calling till you find a spot!!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 AM

167 posts, read 112,124 times
Forget to add Find some one to be co-leader.and see if you can find space like your church/apt comlex community room and you will not have a problem in starting a group. Lot of people will help you out if you in Cary I know some cadettie that may love to help you out, Check out the summer day camp great way to meet new girls and adults If you vol. you get a spot eve if they say they are full need vol!! It so Worth it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary