Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,933,809 times

Advertisements

Hello All~
Is there a price per square footage calculation when pricing your home for rent in Morrisville/Cary?

How would one price a single family home with a square footage of 1,650 in Morrisville? Would I take the 1,650 sf and charge say $0.75 sf, I would rent at $1,237.50 +/- per month? Is $0.75 a sf too low??

Would I need a realtor to check comps on rentals, if any, in the neighborhood?

I have means to screen tenants, credit/background check capability, I'm at a loss for fair market pricing though.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 AM

3,225 posts, read 3,512,193 times
Comparative market analysis. If you are renting it yourself, check the locations you would look to find properties for rent and see for how much other similar homes are renting. (presumably this would also be where you would advertise it) If you can afford to leave it vacant, advertise slightly higher than the other comps, if you want it rented immediately, advertise it lower.

Any per sq.ft. value calculations would be dependent upon what similar properties are renting for, quality of house, location, amenities, location. Smaller places would generally have higher costs per sq. ft. than larger places all else being equal.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM

735 posts, read 1,579,152 times
Try Zillow: Morrisville, NC - Rental Median rent list price per sq. ft. ($)

Cary, NC - Rental Median rent list price per sq. ft. ($)

I doubt it is THAT accurate, but at least will give you a general idea of what is listed for rent.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM

915 posts, read 2,375,484 times
Yep, it all depends on comps. In my neighborhood, folks are renting out 900 square ft houses for $1000 a month, and when they're vacant they only stay that way for a few days. 1/4 mile away, I can find a 1200 sq ft rental for $700 a month.

Just remember this when you come up with a price that you need to make sure you're covering the mortgage, property taxes, escrow, lawn maintenance (if the tenants aren't responsible), pest control, and a healthy reserve for repairs. Count on spending at least $1000 a year for things like plumbing, etc, and know that every 5 years there's going to be a nice $7500 or so expense for something like foundation work, new roof, or AC.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,087,338 times
it has not much to do with square footage, rather bedrooms primarily, and then baths and other factors (like acceptance of pets, garages, etc)

Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 AM

26 posts, read 152,374 times
Default my experience

just share a little of my experience. My last rent is in a fairly nice location of Morrisville. It is in Cary/Morrisville area and just next to Cary twin lake community. The location is very good, safe, easy to get around, good school(but the good school capped, you need to work on it to get in).
It is a single family house(looks like a town home though) a little over 2000sf and the rent is $1375/month. I believe the new post is $1399/month. We moved out b/s we purchased a house within the walking distance.
I rent it through the owner. He put ads either on craiglist or other list. The new ad he put on is 'hotpad'. Anyway, it is rent out again. Just share some resource with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary