Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 AM

23 posts, read 64,072 times

Advertisements

Hi there -- is anyone with an AIG child really happy with their school in Durham/Raleigh? Looks like the services provided vary widely, and how they're provided vary widely. I've got an elementary AIG child, and would love to find a non-lottery district where she'd have her needs met from elementary through HS, but even knowledge just at the elementary level would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 AM

600 posts, read 1,221,049 times
what is AIG? We have Academically Gifted but call it AG, or Gifted and Talented which is GT

Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
what is AIG? We have Academically Gifted but call it AG, or Gifted and Talented which is GT
FAQs: Academically and Intellectually Gifted (AIG) (http://www.wcpss.net/faqs/categories/academically_gifted.html - broken link)

http://www.wcpss.net/curriculum-inst.../ag/index.html

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libmom View Post
Hi there -- is anyone with an AIG child really happy with their school in Durham/Raleigh? Looks like the services provided vary widely, and how they're provided vary widely. I've got an elementary AIG child, and would love to find a non-lottery district where she'd have her needs met from elementary through HS, but even knowledge just at the elementary level would be great.
Libmom, this is a link you will want:
Contact Us — Durham Public Schools

Beth Cross is great. She's the head of AIG services in Durham. And she's wonderful. Also, there are school resources listed here.

In Durham not all elementary schools have the same AIG programs. Some only pull out a couple of times a week. And others pull out daily for math and literacy in grades 3-5. Some elementary's do not have a full time AIG teacher because their population does not call for it. But others have multiple AIG teachers. And some have multiple classroom teachers who are also AIG certified.

Creekside Elementary has a great AIG program. There are at least 2 teachers (AIG Certified) in grades 3, 4, and 5. So kids who meet AIG for those grades attend math and literacy pull outs for those grades. I think that ends up being more than 2.5 hours of the day. K-2 the AIG program district wide is such that kids get pull out a couple of times a week. Teachers in K-2 handle differentiation in the classroom. Creekside has the largest AIG population of any of the DPS elementary schools. While biggest does not guarantee the best, there is very active parent group that supports the needs of AIG students. And the principal and staff understands and supports the needs of these kids. The AIG teachers there are great. Many of them trained at UNC in Chapel Hill are really good.

I've heard Hope Valley has a good AIG program as well.

I would recommend that you ask to have your child tested as soon as you get here or prior to your arrival. All out of district students have to take a test to show AIG readiness and meet district standards.

Githens Middle School & Durham School of the Arts also have strong AIG / Honors programs. (I imagine Brogden and Carrington do too, but I do not have direct experience with those.) At Githens and DSA kids who are AIG / Honors attend math and literacy classes designed for AIG / Honors students. But for social studies and science they are mixed with the whole population. Some parents feel their AIG kids could be challenged more in social studies and science in middle school. I think it just depends on the teacher and the mix of kids, which will vary every year.

Jordan & Riverside (high school) has many honors & AP classes. DSA does as well, but it's a lottery.

Any elementary school you consider I would recommend that you call the AIG Facilitator on that link and find out how to get your child tested and what the services are at that particular school. I think the district was trying to standardized their offerings of AIG in elementary. But some schools like Creekside had a greater need than some other schools so those schools may have gone to the AIG pull out for 3-5 first. You might ask what the AIG teacher ratio to AIG student is at each school. And you might want to find out how many general population teachers are also AIG certified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary