Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 AM

107 posts, read 143,855 times

Advertisements

We are interested in adding a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier to our family. We are allergic to dogs and cats, but this breed may be a good option for us. We're hoping someone here can help us out with some information.
  1. Where is there a reputable local breeder?
  2. Can you suggest a quality groomer for this breed?
  3. Any other advice you would like to offer?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:18 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
Pawfect Match Rescue got a load of Wheaton puppies dumped on them. Try them or petfinder.com.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfolks View Post
  1. Where is there a reputable local breeder?
Try the breed association at : SCWTCA - Breeders List

There are 4 breeders in the state, with 3 in Moore or Harnett counties, and they will probably want you to fill out a questionnaire or write something about yourself. There may be a waiting list. Be sure to read up on the PLE/PLN disease which supposedly affects 15-20% of puppies.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 AM

107 posts, read 143,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Pawfect Match Rescue got a load of Wheaton puppies dumped on them. Try them or petfinder.com.
They have not updated their website I guess. They don't show any.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
Quote:
They have not updated their website I guess. They don't show any.
It was on their facebook page. They don't list them on the website until they're ready to adopt them out, which means all the people who apply after that will be too late. I'd recommend getting an app in now. Good luck! It's always best to adopt a dog when you can instead of buying them.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:01 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I never had much luck with the club pages when looking for a dog, I ended up looking for about a year and a half. Papers also have ad's for such things, that is where I ended up finding my dog. And be prepared to travel!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
We are allergic to dogs and cats,
According to this WebMD page, skin dander, not hair is the main cause of allergies: Dog Allergies: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments They also suggest getting tested since you might really be allergic to mold or pollen which the dog brings in.

If you get a dog, and still have allergies, what would you do? A reputable breeder is going to ask what you would do with their puppy.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
My mother-in-law breeds Havanese which are another allergy-friendly dog. What she does, and any other reputable breeder will do, is require you to fill out a questionnaire or do a phone interview before they'll even consider selling you a puppy. They also should be able to provide you with a pedigree, veterinary records, etc. They'll also very gladly welcome you into their home so you can see the environment and meet the ***** and the stud if they didn't use a stud service. I would be wary of any breeder that doesn't do these things.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,877 times
I'd suggest finding a good breeder and going to visit. Explain the allergy thing, I'm sure they hear this a lot. A good breeder should let you come hang out with his/her dogs for an hour/two to see if any of your family react to the dogs. A really good breeder might want you to repeat this, to see if a second exposure brings on any symptoms of allergies. While I fully support adopting a rescue/shelter dog, if you are looking for something VERY specific I'd strongly suggest a good breeder. A reputable breeder will take the dog back to rehome if someone in your family develops an allergy to the dog (and you can no longer keep it).

I'd suggest checking out the AKC parent club for this breed:

Welcome to SCWTCA!

Read the info, then contact breeders within a reasonable driving distance from you to just discuss the dogs. Ask about allergies, a future visit, etc. Someone in this state might not have puppies or an adult available, but they may be willing to have you visit and discuss the breed. They will also be a great resource for finding someone that may have puppies/dog available.

Another place to find info about upcoming dog shows is here:

InfoDog AKC Dog Show Information - Main Menu

Click on the "search by state" button to find dog shows locally. You want to see the "AB" abbreviation. This means an all breed show, in which all AKC breeds typcially participate . It's a little complicated to navigate, so DM me if you need help. But dog shows are a great place to meet breeders and discuss.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
Our current dog is a Wheaten mix and is non allergenic. I found him on petfinder as a puppy. He came from a South Carolina shelter. No shedding and little dander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary