Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times

Advertisements

Hi--
I realize this is probably too general a question, but I wondered if anyone had any opinions on what the smartest (best for resale) outdoor project is going to be--we have a back yard that's pretty to look at (conservation) but it slopes. We were thinking of having it leveled and adding a nice flagstone type patio (or maybe brick) with a fire pit and benches, that sort of thing. We have a rather small builder-standard deck. Our other thought was to screen in the deck and then add a new deck to the back.

Screen porches seem like a great idea here (and I've read the thread about them, and people seem to love them). But I'd really like a flat, more usable yard. I don't think *both* are going to be in the budget, and if they are, I'd not want to overbuild for my neighborhood--is that a legitimate worry?

I've read on here that people have ball-parked a screened porch at $10-15k. Does that sound right? It's an existing deck about 8x15 ft. It would need a roof and screening and of course a door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I think the screen porch is the best feature for resale appeal, particularly if at resale, most other homes in your price range have one.
That is not to say you would recoup the cost. Probably about 50% to 60% at best.
8x15 is not a very large screen porch, though.
So you may pay less, or you may be wise to expand it.

Grading the yard flat can be a nice improvement, but sometimes is artlessly done. I would suggest avoiding "artless."

Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Neither, it will not increase the value of your home. Do a bit more research regarding recouping the value according to add ons, repairs, remodels etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Neither, it will not increase the value of your home. Do a bit more research regarding recouping the value according to add ons, repairs, remodels etc.
A patio might not increase your value but a screened in porch will. And if it doesn't in a certain situation, I am sure a house with it will sell much faster than one without it. I am sure you can monetize that somehow based on how many extra mortgage payments you make while holding onto a house.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
If you have mosquitoes in your yard, definitely go for the screened porch. Mine did increase the value of my house when I had my refi appraisal done - I didn't recoup what I spent, but to say that it won't increase the value of the house at all is incorrect.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
If you have mosquitoes in your yard, definitely go for the screened porch. Mine did increase the value of my house when I had my refi appraisal done - I didn't recoup what I spent, but to say that it won't increase the value of the house at all is incorrect.
Your screen porch photos are lovely.
Mine is only pretty darn nice.

Either of them have a positive impact on our values, without a shred of doubt.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times
We are house hunting, in the market currently. I couldn't care less about deck vs screen porch honestly. Nice, level, flat yard are VERY rare, or so it seems. Useable yard space would trump everything else, for us.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
I would ask how long you plan to stay in the house and what YOU most want to do with the yard, before asking what is best for value, unless you plan to leave soon and then value is the number one priority, in which case why bother at all, since nothing you do will recoup 100% of the cost of what you put in.

If you plan to stay a while, then other factors are at play. Budget, use of the yard, planned entertaining with friends or family, which seasons you would like to use it, etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
Default Screened porch AND open deck

I personally really like the flexibility of having both: a screened porch and an open deck. I also prefer it when the screened porch is not directly attached to the home. Oftentimes (depending on how a house is situated), the screened porch can make the attached part of the house rather dark. When you have the detached screened porch (with an open deck separating the two), it's the best of both worlds! (I think your outdoor fireplace is also a great addition...)

Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your screen porch photos are lovely.
Mine is only pretty darn nice.

Either of them have a positive impact on our values, without a shred of doubt.
Thank you.. now if only the darn squirrels would stop chewing on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary