Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 AM

484 posts, read 1,367,406 times

Advertisements

It's made it's rounds in Clayton. The week before last I got a call to pick up my kiddo from school. I've never seen her so sick before. She was laying all over the bathroom floor and vomiting every 20 minutes which slowed to once an hour and than every few hours. A few hours later. My husband came home from work sick with the same thing, but wasn't vomiting as much. This is a man who hardly ever gets sick. Both of them were burning up with 102 fever. How did I not get this from taking care of the both of them, I'll never know.

What really helped my daughter who is a teen, were the Pedia Lite pops.
If you get this virus, take sips of Gatorade, plain water or Ginger Ale in between vomiting and I really do mean sips. Don't chug it even if your so very thirsty.

When I picked her up from school, The lady in the office handed me a bunch of trash bags and said that she was the 4th to go home sick with the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 AM

286 posts, read 685,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz80 View Post
It would be helpful if the OP would define "in the area". Norovirus outbreaks are common pretty much everywhere if you look in enough places. Anywhere with lots of people in confined spaces are at risk (schools, nursing homes, cruise ships, etc.).

It's pretty unlikely for the disease to spread much once it's outside of one of those locations. ie. If the outbreak was at a school, it'll probably stay there, along with possibly some family members of the kids who go there. It's no surprise to me that it's found on cruise ships, since I've seen my fair share of idiots sticking their fingers in the buffet food to taste it *smack*. Just having hundreds of people all touch the same buffet utensils, and then eat with their hands is risky enough. It's this reason alone that I sanitize my hands before and after going through a buffet line. Protect others with the first use, and then protect yourself before you eat.
"In the area" in this case means the Triangle and beyond. It's out in the community, not just in a specific area. (think schools, Walmart, Kroger, Trader Joes, World Market, the malls, bathrooms, restaurants, the doctor's office, etc.)

Working in health care, I get the latest news from the CDC on what's going around and how it may impact my staffing needs and patient population. We educate our patients as much as we can but I thought it would be nice to open it up as a topic on here so others besides just my patients would know to actually wash with soap and water after being out and about in the community. First thing I do after running errands when I get home is wash my hands. I don't even carry the antibacterial gels.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 PM

19 posts, read 36,286 times
I think this virus is back.

It doesn't look like the thread had been updated yet this year so I thought I would bump it.

It's been spreading at some of the local daycares and elementary schools in Apex and my daughter has it now.

Just thought I would pass the information along so everyone was aware!

Thank you.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 PM

181 posts, read 387,369 times
Got an email from preschool teacher. It may be starting to make the rounds. Preschool is in Raleigh, Brier Creek area.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Some coworkers have said it's making the rounds in Durham schools as well. Wash your hands!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Oh, it's been around....and lingering. Got the call from school today to pick up a sick kid. Same call, different kid 3 weeks ago. I will never understand how they can leave the house fine and be home sick 2 hours later!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,102 times
This is sweeping through the nursing home facility in Harnett County where I work like wildfire. Patients AND employees are sick. I sure hope I don't get it! I felt nauseous on Saturday, but I took probiotics on the advice of a friend, and I felt better. Don't know if I had the "crud" or not.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM

69 posts, read 177,390 times
My boss' kid seemed to have this yesterday and today. We're in Durham.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM

64 posts, read 142,663 times
My son had it two weeks ago...4th grader in Cary. Two other kids in his class had it too.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times
Our family had it over X-mas and of course we got it immediately after getting home for New Years. I pity all future victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary